Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla making HUGE mistake with Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like people managed to use stalls in a way that end up blocking every other one. So not a big issue.
Possibly a testament to providing CCS-NACS adapters for cars built by companies that couldn't standardize their charge port locations.
see:
Since Tesla has a standard charger location and cable length, It should be easy for each manufacturer to develop an adapter that takes the Tesla connector to wherever the charging inlet is on any particular vehicle.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Just out of curiosity, which car companies DID standardize their charge port locations?
GM and Ford seem to have been consistent in using the "Detroit position", the driver's side front fender, maybe because they really started at any significant scale with PHEVs and the Detroit position is the obvious optimal position for home charging (although not necessarily the best for everybody).

The German position (passenger-side rear) was a change from varying positions.
Hyundai/Kia were in varying positions but now also use the German position.

The key point is that there is no standard charge point location, and there likely never will be. We need to start designing charging station sites that recognize this fact (as well as accommodating different sized vehicles that may or may not have various pieces and parts sticking out--trailers, bike racks, etc.)

I think we need to stop thinking that the Tesla charge port location is the standard. It's not. Who knows: maybe they will pull another rabbit out of their hat and get practically every other automaker to align with the left rear charge port location. But until then, the best approach will be to design sites that can accommodate multiple charge port locations.

Unfortunately, not standardizing the charge port location adds cost and complexity to charging infrastructure. All charging stations either need longer cables ($$) and possibly cable management, or chargers must be built in islands that can be accessible from multiple parking positions. The latter means you get less charger density for a given area of parking lot - like a gas station vs a row of parking spaces.

#MorningThoughts ☕

the Detroit position is the obvious optimal position for home charging (although not necessarily the best for everybody).

Why is that position obviously optimal for home charging? It's not like there is any standard for where the breaker box is located in the house.

I think the best location is somewhere on the passenger side. I think cities could benefit from having chargers located for street parking (i.e. parallel parking), but that scenario naturally places chargers on the passenger side of the car.

I have a neighbor who parks their Bolt facing the wrong way on the street so they can charge at home, gonna start getting daily tickets once the cops notice
We charged our Volt that way since 2014 until we sold it last Sunday. Luckily, there's no sidewalk and we own the cement pad in front of our house and nobody ever complained. The cable was long enough that we could have reached around but that would have been a lot of daily fuss messing with the cable.
Why is that position obviously optimal for home charging?
The rationale for in front of driver door is that it is easy to see when approaching the car.
I'm convinced that there is no optimal location. One can provide good and bad rationales for any location.
I've had EVs with charge port on front bumper center, in front of driver door, in back of driver door, and in front of driver side rear bumper (Tesla's).
I figure Tesla's position is about the least bad.
Anything on either side is going to be bad for curbside depending on RHD or LHD. Front is tough if charger is at back of parking space and rear is tough if charger is at front of space. Folks are going to complain no matter what.
I, personally figure a luxury feature should be putting them in 2 places, probably front bumper center (or right side) and front of driver side rear bumper. That way, you can reach from either side of car or with charger forward, middle, or rear of parking space.

ezgif-2-4f3a7c4d80.gif

Why is that position obviously optimal for home charging? It's not like there is any standard for where the breaker box is located in the house.
Easy. I have two EVs, a two car garage with a single door.

Where do I locate my charging station so that I can reach both cars, ideally without having to drape the cable over or under one of the vehicles.

The obvious choice is in the middle of the rear wall, which is exactly where I had them put a NEMA 14-50 when we built the house. And this worked well for us when we had LEAFs, a Volt and a Bolt. Then it got a whole lot more difficult when she got an ID.4 and I got a Tesla. And now she also has a Tesla. Basically we have to back our cars into the garage to charge. (yeah, I know, some people just looooove to back their cars into parking spots--well let me tell you it's actually a pain).

I'm actually relocating our EVSE to the side wall. This will allow at least one of us to pull in to the garage normally to charge, but the other will still need to back in.

Charge ports located in the front or near the front of the car are better in this situation.

Reactions: TunaBug
Just out of curiosity, which car companies DID standardize their charge port locations?

After 130 years, the car manufacturers still haven't standardized on GAS port locations...

The Tesla location (drivers side rear) seems best from a human factors point of view. When you open the door and step out, which location is easiest to access? Obviously drivers side. But front or rear? Rear means you don't have to walk around the door.

After 130 years, the car manufacturers still haven't standardized on GAS port locations...

The Tesla location (drivers side rear) seems best from a human factors point of view. When you open the door and step out, which location is easiest to access? Obviously drivers side. But front or rear? Rear means you don't have to walk around the door.
Why would I walk around the door? My door is closed when I plug in/unplug.

For us Detroit position is best because we pull forwards into the garage and walk out the garage door.
1) It's on driver's side
2) Cable is never in the way during the plug, unplug or getting into the car to grab something.

1) Close driver's door
2) Optional: put stuff on top of car
3) 3 steps to front of drivers door
4) Grab plug and plug-in
5) Walk back along driver's side
6) Optional: grab crap from back seats
7) Optional: grab crap from rear hatch
8) Push button to close door and walk out of garage
9) Remote open garage door
10) Walk into garage
11) Optional: Put crap in rear hatch
12) Optional: Put crap in back seats
13) Walk forward along driver's side
14) Optional: a) put stuff on top of car b) walk forward to charge port
15) Unplug and stow plug
16) 3 steps to back of driver's door
17) Open driver's door

Consider how different positions change the above and other positions lead to extra walking around vehicle or stepping over cables.

We have a Kona EV so the charge port is on the front which is less convenient the Detroit, but also never in the way.

Tesla position wouldn't be terrible, but I'd get really irritated by the German position, and we only charge 2 or 3 times per week.

I have a friend with RAV4 Prime and they commented on the inconvenience of the "German" charge port position.

Consider the sequence for you and you may have a different best position depending on how/where you park.