Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla making HUGE mistake with Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And it appears that we are seeing the first public install of the MagicDock at the Verona, NY Supercharger:
4l3tfkloszja1.jpg

From Reddit.

So much for the theory that they were gonna just open the one charger on the end so that cars can either take the Tesla space or the one next to it if their car has the plug on the wrong side.

Not sure why that Y is parked like it is, perhaps this was their way of closing the Supercharger during the upgrade.

Yeah, the reddit comments indicated that those vehicles were there doing the install/testing and possibly intentionally blocking the pedestals from view (although I doubt that's the case because as soon as they leave for the day it's not like people won't be there taking all kinds of pictures!)

Reactions: 101dals
So much for the theory that they were gonna just open the one charger on the end so that cars can either take the Tesla space or the one next to it if their car has the plug on the wrong side.
I don't know where that theory came from... I've never seen Tesla open less than an entire Supercharger site. (I don't think they will play any games with only opening one, or 4, stalls at any given site. Same for NEVI funding, they will either make every stall at a site NEVI compliant, or they won't take any money for the site.)

I don't know where that theory came from... I've never seen Tesla open less than an entire Supercharger site.
To be fair, this is kind of an unprecedented situation here...if you're comparing it to Europe, that's different because the hardware is the same for all stalls, whereas here there is an additional piece of hardware that is required.

I suppose you could compare to the initial rollout of CCS in Europe. IIRC (and I may not be), they only added CCS cords to some of the stalls at each site (at least at first) and asked S & X drivers to leave the CCS stalls open for the (new at the time) Model 3's.

I don't know where that theory came from... I've never seen Tesla open less than an entire Supercharger site. (I don't think they will play any games with only opening one, or 4, stalls at any given site. Same for NEVI funding, they will either make every stall at a site NEVI compliant, or they won't take any money for the site.)
Don't know where your justification comes from, like @RTPEV says, this situation has never happened before so everyone was guessing. If they did open just one stall it would make the CCS users feel right at home, most CCS sites only have the one.

As to NEVI funding, I believe they only need to provide 4 CCS chargers per location to qualify, so I don't know why you think they'll do all or won't take the money. Could provide 16 stalls of which 4 are CCS compatible. Again, everyone is just guessing unless you work for Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: RTPEV
As to NEVI funding, I believe they only need to provide 4 CCS chargers per location to qualify, so I don't know why you think they'll do all or won't take the money. Could provide 16 stalls of which 4 are CCS compatible. Again, everyone is just guessing unless you work for Tesla.
Because if they didn't make all of the stalls NEVI compliant it would require a weird power sharing setup. And without transformer/grid upgrades it would disadvantage the non-NEVI stalls when the site was busy. (Why I think it is doubtful they will even bother with NEVI at all, other than maybe for new sites in remote areas.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl