Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Cancelation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so I ordered my Tesla model 3 about two weeks ago.
I'm now thinking about canceling my order for undisclosed reasons but am wondering if the 2,500 deposit I put down is refundable? My order has yet to be matched with any car. The only thing that has happened is me submitting my order, filling out the information they asked for, and choosing loan as my method of payment. No updates have come about since then. In their Order Agreement, it says that the order payment will not be refunded if you have been matched with a vehicle. Does this mean that I would be able to receive both my 1,000 and 2,500 as a refund? Any response appreciated ASAP. Thanks!

Read the contract. At one point the deposit(s) were refundable (at least that’s what my MVPA indicated) up until a vehicle had been matched to your specific build. I reserved July 2018 and had put down a $2500 deposit. From what I understand some people had different wording in their MVPA’s regarding obtaining a refund. Best advice I can give you is don’t listen to me or anyone else but look over your contract and call Tesla.

You haven't been matched with a VIN, so according to Tesla's Model 3 FAQ, you will get a refund.
Order and Delivery - Model 3

Also, consider that Tesla has a return policy where you can return the car within 1-3 days.
Return Policy

So it seems there's a grey area after you get VIN and before you receive your car where you're not allowed a refund, but outside of that area you do get one. A little strange, but I'd guess they'd just refund you in the grey area too.

Read your contract. The recent ones can be cancelled and you get your money back if no VIN yet.

I had an older order contract... I tried to cancel to get my money back so I could refer myself. They didn't go for it and my contract specifically said the $2500 was a non-refundable fee.

You would have to call them to see if you have been assigned a vin.

I'm still not clear on the 3 day refund policy. When I picked up, they told me they would help match me to a new car, not get 100% of my money back. I didn't bother clarifying.

I like our new 3 (and our existing S).

So here’s my dilemma. I took delivery if my M3 three weeks ago. Last Tuesday I as poking around the Tesla website doing some price comps on different options as my wife may now want one. I had a senior moment (of which I have a lot) and before I knew I had a thanks for your order message. I quickly went to my account and sure enough there was a new reservation number. I quickly called customer service and they sent me an email explaining how to cancel. I did so but as of 48 hours later the RN still appears and my CC has been charged. (I filed a dispute with the CC card company immediately. Any thoughts? Oh yeah, we love the new car and yes I know I am probably a dumb a&&.

So here’s my dilemma. I took delivery if my M3 three weeks ago. Last Tuesday I as poking around the Tesla website doing some price comps on different options as my wife may now want one. I had a senior moment (of which I have a lot) and before I knew I had a thanks for your order message. I quickly went to my account and sure enough there was a new reservation number. I quickly called customer service and they sent me an email explaining how to cancel. I did so but as of 48 hours later the RN still appears and my CC has been charged. (I filed a dispute with the CC card company immediately. Any thoughts? Oh yeah, we love the new car and yes I know I am probably a dumb a&&.
Just accept the second car into the garage and enjoy it. It was meant to be!

Tom - for me the situation may have been different, but not that much. I placed an order for the M3LR RWD, a model that isn't offered any longer (glad I got mine in the garage). When they announced the MR model I clicked on the site to compare costs/specs. When I placed my order for the LR, the procedure was to review the order by clicking at the bottom of the page. When I was reviewing the specs on the M3 MR and clicked on what I thought was the summary page, it placed an order. The page was live since I was on my Tesla account page. So I had a LR on order and a MR on order. When I called and explained it was pretty clear that I didn't intend to have two M3 cars. The inside advisor saw the problem, confirmed that my original M3 LR order was intact, and cancelled the MR order. It took about 4-5 business days. They refunded the charge to my credit card. I don't think you'll have a problem, but you may want to get a confirmation email for your cancellation request - better to be prepared and not worry about it again.

You definitely shouldn't have disputed the charge considering:
1) You made a mistake
2) You didn't give Tesla time to straighten the situation out

Jesus, whats wrong with you.