Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Costs More To Charge Than A Gasoline Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depending on your situation it might be more expensive to charge than it would be to fill gas. So I don't think it's as funny as the rest of you. Here's my power bill; just got it this morning. Plus I pay about $240 a month for my solar loan in addition to what I pay SDG&E.

The solar saves me from being pushed into tier 2 and 3, but it will not once I add a model 3.

Changing to EV-TOU would make charging the 3 cheaper, but will nearly double the rest of my bill as it pretty much makes my solar worthless. (It will only cover the off-peak which is something like 12 cents per kWh, and peak prices are .60 cents per kWh, 4-9:00 pm)

so ha ha funny post...

I'm actually considering canceling my reservation again, but I'm undecided at this point. Seems like an electric / gas car might be the best solution to keep the fuel costs affordable.
Yeah..

In your shoes I would be considering a PHEV too, if I could not reduce my consumption. I have a Prius Prime I am pleased with, or the Honda Clarity plug-in might appeal to you.
I'm still surprised that a 6 kW PV array does not cover your uses. How much generation do you get out of it ?

He was in a very cold climate the month he was talking about. The cost was not the miles, it was the heating and pre-heating. And if every month of the year was like that he would have a better point -- or maybe not, since most people do not pre-heat ICE cars

Preheat is strictly optional, and is a luxury that EV owners have that many ICE owners do not due to exhaust fumes.

For me in Toronto Canada, the direct cost of EV even in winter is only 1/4 of gas car. In the summer it is 1/6. The cost benefit of EV becomes even more evident if you consider the indirect cost such as oil spill clean up, military expedition to control supply, and health care down the road.

I had a moped in high school that could get over 80 miles on a gallon of gas. That was over 20 years ago, so I am extrapolating that today’s cars can average 100 miles to the gallon. The average price of gas in Arkansas is $2.39 per gallon so the average gasoline car costs 2.39 cents per mile to run.

The Model 3 on the other hand, “Tesla” says is rated at 310 miles on a full charge, however, we all know that is not true for real world driving. According to controlled testing by @mattcrowley at Laguna Seca ( Model 3 Track Day: Laguna Seca ), the true consumption of the Model 3 is 31 KW per 20.1 miles or 1,542 watts/mile. In Hawaii, Blink charges 79 cents per KW to charge. The Model 3 costs $1.22 per mile to run!!!

The Model 3 costs 51 times as much to run than your average car. This math is simply devastating.

Now of course, the lifecycle total cost of ownership doesn’t end there. In addition to the extra cost to charge, the Laguna Seca testing clearly shows that the Model 3 will require new brakes monthly – that is an additional $3,000-4,000 per year.

For may of us, cost - and/or savings - is not the only factor in why we choose an EV. In fact, for some, like me, it's way down on the list. But YMMV.

Funny post, and good representation of the nonsense spouted all over the net.

Are there some situations where EV's currently are not the best option? Apparently so based on member situations posted here. However, there are more places where EV's work great than Tesla can provide EV's.

I have an 8kw solar system that has already paid for itself (installed 7 years ago). I recently changed to the EV plan where I pay .11/kWh 11pm-7am. Peak is ~.34 in winter and ~.45 summer but my system size turns the meter backwards during the day and pays for my charging and usage at night.

Can't do that with a gas/diesel car.

Free supercharging with the X is great also even though I'll probably only use them a couple times a month on average.

Funny post, and good representation of the nonsense spouted all over the net.

Are there some situations where EV's currently are not the best option? Apparently so based on member situations posted here. However, there are more places where EV's work great than Tesla can provide EV's.

I have an 8kw solar system that has already paid for itself (installed 7 years ago). I recently changed to the EV plan where I pay .11/kWh 11pm-7am. Peak is ~.34 in winter and ~.45 summer but my system size turns the meter backwards during the day and pays for my charging and usage at night.

Can't do that with a gas/diesel car.

Free supercharging with the X is great also even though I'll probably only use them a couple times a month on average.

Define "best". :)

There are a lot of situations where they aren't the cheapest, and even a few where they aren't the cheapest without factoring purchase price.

There are some situations where they are less convenient.

There may even be a few where they aren't the lowest emissions solution.

I don't think there are any where they aren't the most pleasant driving experience.

There are probably several more ways to look at your question that I didn't include, too...

Reactions: SageBrush
What does your Tesla use on average in Colorado in January?
Still waiting for my Model 3. In our LEAF we use seat and steering wheel heating but avoid pre-heating or cabin heating. I also take somewhat unusual steps to keep defrost use to a minimum. In mild weather we see about 5.4 miles a kWh. That drops to 4.5 miles a kWh in a moderately cold environment.

I'm not saying that sky-high consumption is a forgone conclusion or even reasonable; I was just saying that I can see how that high a bill could happen.

I use my solar panels to charge my Tesla, payback period is around 6 years, after that charging is free.

Thanks for the Dislike! Seriously. It lets me know folk read my more long-winded posts. :D

That was not a hypothetical example. It was based on an actual bill. It is how much it can cost to charge an EV in Los Angeles, California in the low-cost winter rate period if you have lots of solar power generation. It is not the highest rate possible allowed under our laws. The situation I describe exists today as we speak, and stops some employers from providing EV charging.

It's about how Demand-Based Metering approved by our California state utility commission allows the power company to charge >50% more per kWh AFTER installing solar, and also makes charging EVs very expensive for businesses.

Here's Southern California Edison's TOU-GS-2-B rate plan for small to medium businesses:

The Demand Meter costs $231 / month rent which they call a customer fee, but only affects you once they install their demand meter.
The lowest Demand fees are in the winter, and they are $15.89 / kW. This is measured at the highest 15 minute segment in a month, but is not time-of-use based.
Power is cheap at roughly .07 / kWh in the winter, day or night. Most of your bill is not kWh's or TOU, it's demand fees and rent.

But let's put some real numbers to it. Prior to installing solar, our cost per kWh was .18 / kWh at the highest summer rate, which is twice as high as winter as long as you do not have Solar.
After supplying 75% of our own kWh's, the bill was .26 / kWh in the winter. The more kWh we generate, the higher the cost per kWh from the utility rises. Solar production is worth .07 / kWh since you cannot reverse demand fees.

On a $1100 bill, $800 of it is demand fees, and $300 is for kWhs used.

This affects EVs is because they are high-demand devices. The more EV charging kW you hook up, the faster the Demand segment of the bill rises as compared to kWh billing. So both Solar and EVs increase your cost per kWh.

Like posted above, some of this can be mitigated by load shifting battery arrays. Oddly enough, if you have solar, you are shifting your power to the AM when folk plug in their EVs. But due to the variability of weather and clouds, there is never a 'correct' balance, since you cannot predict solar output in advance.

I finally got so fed up with fighting this I contacted the California Attorney General about the California Public Utility Commissions misbehavior when it comes to solar and EVs, and Southern California Edison's misleading marketing of their support for Solar and EVs.

The AG said they don't handle matters concerning California government bureaus. Yes, that's a fib. But oddly enough, SCE finally switched me to a plan that was based pure on my energy consumption, with no demand fees. The result? I can now plug in my EVs again, and my solar will payback in 2.5 years by saving ~$10,500 in 2018 over 2017.

Cliff Notes: Disagrees can be helpful. Yes, you can pay insane amounts of money for charging EVs even if you have a lot of solar. Government entities are trying to migrate residential customers to such plans, and no amount of panels will fix that except 100% off grid.

Trivia: We produced over 100 kWh of juice yesterday on a cloudy cool day. Today I am working on adding 4.2 kW more panels for a total of 24.2 kW.
We make up to 10x more electricity than our 3 EVs use. We are are on target to make 40-50 MWh in 2018.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Dislike! Seriously. It lets me know folk read my more long-winded posts. :D

That was not a hypothetical example. It was based on an actual bill. It is how much it can cost to charge an EV in Los Angeles, California in the low-cost winter rate period if you have lots of solar power generation. It is not the highest rate possible allowed under our laws. The situation I describe exists today as we speak, and stops some employers from providing EV charging.

It's about how Demand-Based Metering approved by our California state utility commission allows the power company to charge >50% more per kWh AFTER installing solar, and also makes charging EVs very expensive for businesses.

Here's Southern California Edison's TOU-GS-2-B rate plan for small to medium businesses:

The Demand Meter costs $231 / month rent which they call a customer fee, but only affects you once they install their demand meter.
The lowest Demand fees are in the winter, and they are $15.89 / kW. This is measured at the highest 15 minute segment in a month, but is not time-of-use based.
Power is cheap at roughly .07 / kWh in the winter, day or night. Most of your bill is not kWh's or TOU, it's demand fees and rent.

But let's put some real numbers to it. Prior to installing solar, our cost per kWh was .18 / kWh at the highest summer rate, which is twice as high as winter as long as you do not have Solar.
After supplying 75% of our own kWh's, the bill was .26 / kWh in the winter. The more kWh we generate, the higher the cost per kWh from the utility rises. Solar production is worth .07 / kWh since you cannot reverse demand fees.

On a $1100 bill, $800 of it is demand fees, and $300 is for kWhs used.

This affects EVs is because they are high-demand devices. The more EV charging kW you hook up, the faster the Demand segment of the bill rises as compared to kWh billing. So both Solar and EVs increase your cost per kWh.

Like posted above, some of this can be mitigated by load shifting battery arrays. Oddly enough, if you have solar, you are shifting your power to the AM when folk plug in their EVs. But due to the variability of weather and clouds, there is never a 'correct' balance, since you cannot predict solar output in advance.

I finally got so fed up with fighting this I contacted the California Attorney General about the California Public Utility Commissions misbehavior when it comes to solar and EVs, and Southern California Edison's misleading marketing of their support for Solar and EVs.

The AG said they don't handle matters concerning California government bureaus. Yes, that's a fib. But oddly enough, SCE finally switched me to a plan that was based on my energy consumption. The result? I can now plug in my EVs again, and my solar will payback in 2.5 years by saving ~$10,500 in 2018 over 2017.

Cliff Notes: Disagrees can be helpful. Yes, you can pay insane amounts of money for charging EVs even if you have a lot of solar. Government entities are trying to migrate residential customers to such plans, and no amount of panels will fix that except 100% off grid.

Trivia: We produced over 100 kWh of juice yesterday on a cloudy cool day. Today I am working on adding 4.2 kW more panels for a total of 24.2 kW.
We make >10 more electricity than our 3 EVs use. We are are on target to make 40-50 MWh in 2018.
At least your Peak Usage period isn't at night when your not making power. Sempra and SDGE must be seriously crooked companies. I still owe 22k on our solar system, it may have already paid for itself but there is still a bill every month for me.

At least your Peak Usage period isn't at night when your not making power. Sempra and SDGE must be seriously crooked companies. I still owe 22k on our solar system, it may have already paid for itself but there is still a bill every month for me.
Our peak demand occurred at 6am-7am when employees arrive. In the winter, there is little to no production there. By noon, we are heavily negative. We run a temperature controlled laboratory that must be kept 68-72°F 24/7/365.

Base demand in the winter is on a 24h clock. No change if you plug in at 2am.

My home electricity consumption is about 1/10th of yours. This is why I keep encouraging you to take a closer look at your home.

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
My home electricity consumption is about 1/10th of yours. This is why I keep encouraging you to take a closer look at your home.

That is a meaningless & spiteful statement.

You don't know the size of his home, his profession (I have friends who work in the IT space who have extensive home labs that burn hundreds of watts 24/7 so they can be more effective at doing their jobs, keep their certifications current, etc.), or what is possible in the way of electricity reduction for him. He already has installed solar which means he has done more than 90% of people have done to lower their electric consumption.

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
That is a meaningless & spiteful statement.

You don't know the size of his home, his profession (I have friends who work in the IT space who have extensive home labs that burn hundreds of watts 24/7 so they can be more effective at doing their jobs, keep their certifications current, etc.), or what is possible in the way of electricity reduction for him. He already has installed solar which means he has done more than 90% of people have done to lower their electric consumption.

Meaningless? Maybe. But spiteful? :eek:

spite·ful
/ˈspītfəl/
adjective

showing or caused by malice

Meaningless? Maybe. But spiteful? :eek:

spite·ful
/ˈspītfəl/
adjective

showing or caused by malice

You have to look at all his posts I guess. ;)

I mean... what the hell is the point of someone just showing they were billed for 475 kWh and then claiming "I use 10% of what you use".

It's absurd. He doesn't know what his total, pre solar consumption was and we don't know what yours is either.

One person could be very happily living in a 500 square foot ultra efficiency cabin and the other person could live in a 6,000 square foot sprawling home and have 10 kids.

So yeah, a little spiteful methinks.... not to mention that anyone who is so angst-ridden that they feel the need to vent their political spleen and put political statements in their member title.... o vey.

Last edited:
You have to look at all his posts I guess. ;)

I mean... what the hell is the point of someone just showing they were billed for 475 kWh and then claiming "I use 10% of what you use".

It's absurd. He doesn't know what his total, pre solar consumption was and we don't know what yours is either.

One person could be very happily living in a 500 square foot ultra efficiency cabin and the other person could live in a 6,000 square foot sprawling home and have 10 kids.

So yeah, a little spiteful methinks.

Got it. But I think I would have picked something like ill-informed, ignorant, clueless...

And, as a VP of IT, I have many friends with colo's in their basement... ;)