Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This reviewer got a lot of things wrong about AP and FSDC (he did not qualify his statements by describing what the car can do now vs. what Tesla says it will be able to do in the future, he conflated the two) but overall his comments were mostly accurate. How he got a 4.4 sec 0-60 time on Vbox (twice) I don’t know, but that’s what he got.

4.4? Perhaps because he wasn't necessarily on level ground?

Sorry, I posted the wrong link before. THIS is the funnest review I have seen so far. Best watched on big screen and a good audio system for the music. Great camera work and in a beautiful place as well.

To non-German speakers, click on settings-subtitles-auto-<select language> for translation. Not always very accurate, but should give you an idea of what all three reviewers think of the car.

Last edited:
The best reviews have been on this TMC forum by people who already owned a Tesla and they get it. Although comparisons to the MS/X aren't always helpful, they at least understand the EV concept and charging.
I am sure the review at “The Electrek Review – Tesla Model 3, a promise delivered” has been mentioned in this very long thread already, but it’s the best one I’ve read so far. As you noted, it’s by a current Tesla owner who has also owned other EVs. So he understands the obvious benefits of EVs in general and the Tesla Supercharger network in particular. So many of the Model 3 reviews are by people who have never lived with an EV and don’t fully grasp the utility and convenience of Superchargers. They make basic errors in describing the Model 3, how TACC and AP work, and about charging at home and on the road.

A quality EV like a Tesla is a fundamental paradigm shift. If you haven’t owned one and lived with it it’s hard to understand some of the advantages. Instead, people get caught up in the gee whiz features and miss the basics. I have seen the same thing happen over the past 5 years with the S and then the X in many many “reviews”. Most of them are inaccurate and superficial.

The Electrek article posts that a USB-C is included, but I was sure I had seen in other reviews and posts it was a micro-usb included. Can someone confirm cable inclusion with the model 3? I would very much like it to be USB-C, or if micro, have the ability to switch as the service station for free.
(I actually also need the lightening cable, so one of each is perfect)

The Electrek article posts that a USB-C is included, but I was sure I had seen in other reviews and posts it was a micro-usb included. Can someone confirm cable inclusion with the model 3? I would very much like it to be USB-C, or if micro, have the ability to switch as the service station for free.
(I actually also need the lightening cable, so one of each is perfect)
Pretty sure the USB-C in the article is in error. You can buy all 3 versions online in the Tesla store. $15 each.

I actually asked the rep if I could just have 2 USB-C and he said no swapping is allowed.
That's pretty poor. I can only assume that in the near future they will keep a stockpile at the delivery centre and allow you to swap for whatever suits.

Heaps of people will want 2x USB-C connectors, while heaps of others will want 2x apple lightning connectors. Seems wasteful to ship cars with leads they won't need or use.

Sorry, I posted the wrong link before. THIS is the funnest review I have seen so far. Best watched on big screen and a good audio system for the music. Great camera work and in a beautiful place as well.

To non-German speakers, click on settings-subtitles-auto-<select language> for translation. Not always very accurate, but should give you an idea of what all three reviewers think of the car.

Love it. Their enthusiasm is infectious.

A friend of a friend at work contacts me out of the blue and asks me about my Model 3.
He's on the list and expects to configure in a few months but has never seen a 3 and wonders if I'll show him mine. "Absolutely!. I reply". We meet up, I explain the ins and outs (such as the key card and phone-key) and he's asking me questions about charging and range, the usual. I ask what he drives now and he says he and his wife have always been Mercedes fans and have two.
We sit in the car, I insist he take the driver's side and go over the touch screen interface and explain about the single screen and controls and quirks of no buttons or IC.
He's taking it all in and I say, "So, want to drive it"?
He just smiles and says, "Oh no need. I love this. I love the interior, the size, the visibility the spaciousness. I know it will drive great. This is fantastic. We're selling the Mercedes and getting two Teslas. This is clearly the future".
I'm dumbfounded. No test drive!? Oh well, that was a good review I guess.

Verge's new Model 3 review. Pretty entertaining. Features some other prominent Verge staff along with MKBHD.
I found the "review" lame. They didn't even know where the hazard switch is! They didn't even a key card with them? She is saying the 3 interior is cheap looking..........in the dark? She is comparing this "$60,000 car" to other $60K cars. This is a $40K car ($35K = $5K PUP) and compares much better to other $40K cars. Just lame.

I am through with YouTuber reviews. They don't bother to do their homework, they are unfamiliar with BEV concept, and they are more interested in 'hits' than in depth reviews. They are more in the entertainment business than the review business.
Its mind boggling that universally almost all reviewers hated that design change, but somehow Tesla designers didn't realize that?
There were reviews of the TACC system before the car was released? Please link to those reviews. I find it mind boggling that the beauty of the model 3 U.I. is that features can be added to the hardware (stalk or tracball) through OA updates. I think the designers do realize that.

Yeah, there's not a big difference in first impressions between the 35k and the 60k configs. So telling someone who's never been in the car to evaluate first impressions on the 60k config, where the bulk of the cost is hidden (range, AP, FSD, etc), I'm not surprised she griped about that wood panel and "cheap" interior. I thought it was helpful to see a first impression review. It certainly doesn't answer our (enthusiast's) questions, but it's interesting to see what the "mass market" thinks when they first experience the 3.