Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting on LR AWD no Vin nothing. Resv May 19 changed order from SR to LR early Aug

Don’t expect any action for a while, reserved May 2016, I ordered the first day LR AWD was available for an EST. September delivery and I am still VIN less. I contacted Tesla as I am with out a car and wanted to know how long I should hire a car for and this was the reply:

“ We’re expecting deliveries of the Long Range variant to be starting soon.

Being in the Sales team I don’t have full visibility of the Delivery Team’s operations however I do know they typically reach out to arrange delivery 1 – 2 weeks prior so I would say you’re still at least 2 weeks from delivery of your Model 3 if you haven’t heard from them already”

So in other words no one has the foggiest when they are arriving and whilst I appreciate the reply there is no help in that answer.

Still hoping for October delivery................

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Vostok and crouch
Don’t expect any action for a while, reserved May 2016, I ordered the first day LR AWD was available for an EST. September delivery and I am still VIN less. I contacted Tesla as I am with out a car and wanted to know how long I should hire a car for and this was the reply:

“ We’re expecting deliveries of the Long Range variant to be starting soon.

Being in the Sales team I don’t have full visibility of the Delivery Team’s operations however I do know they typically reach out to arrange delivery 1 – 2 weeks prior so I would say you’re still at least 2 weeks from delivery of your Model 3 if you haven’t heard from them already”

So in other words no one has the foggiest when they are arriving and whilst I appreciate the reply there is no help in that answer.

Still hoping for October delivery................
I just don't understand this lack of knowledge. The ships take 4 weeks to get here, and the production schedule is almost certainly established several weeks in advance so that any JIT delivery of parts manufactured away from Freemont can be lined up. Given that many of us who are waiting for our orders to be fulfilled placed them in June, what is going on? I know that they are not making to order, but one would assume that they are at least setting the production mix based on what has been ordered. Given that originally they were promising August deliveries for us early orderers, they must have had reasonable confidence in this process back then, so what has changed?

• Informative
Reactions: CpuID and Mawu-gi
OK, I give up... I need to take the SR+ from Sydney to Port Macquarie but there is a lack of charging infrastructure specific from Tesla Corp. i.e. superchargers on the route. If we go off piste, I risk losing charge. I can take the UMC but it is single phase and slow as a snail even at 15 amps (if you can ever find a socket at that). What should I be buying? Type 1 to type 2 converter cable (single phase again)? 3 phase charger to type 2 (expensive!) for 11KW? I am a bit lost on what is best. It seems most off piste is 3 phase in Aus and I am about to wire the home connector to the wall so that aint joining me. They should have had a 3 phase UMC supplied with the car IMHO.

OK, I give up... I need to take the SR+ from Sydney to Port Macquarie but there is a lack of charging infrastructure specific from Tesla Corp. i.e. superchargers on the route. If we go off piste, I risk losing charge. I can take the UMC but it is single phase and slow as a snail even at 15 amps (if you can ever find a socket at that). What should I be buying? Type 1 to type 2 converter cable (single phase again)? 3 phase charger to type 2 (expensive!) for 11KW? I am a bit lost on what is best. It seems most off piste is 3 phase in Aus and I am about to wire the home connector to the wall so that aint joining me. They should have had a 3 phase UMC supplied with the car IMHO.
What did you do to find en route Superchargers, ATSC?
It's very very easy to do this drive with a car with a range of even 200ks!

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I just don't understand this lack of knowledge. The ships take 4 weeks to get here, and the production schedule is almost certainly established several weeks in advance so that any JIT delivery of parts manufactured away from Freemont can be lined up. Given that many of us who are waiting for our orders to be fulfilled placed them in June, what is going on? I know that they are not making to order, but one would assume that they are at least setting the production mix based on what has been ordered. Given that originally they were promising August deliveries for us early orderers, they must have had reasonable confidence in this process back then, so what has changed?

I am with you, I don’t need a delivery date but I assume they could at least ‘narrow’ the window and perhaps communicate if the cars have been manufactured, or on a ship, or in country. It seems unbelievable to me just how hap hazard the whole process is when the Head of Sales doesn’t know what cars are available and when in his/her market.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Superchargers have their own cable- just reverse up to them.
There are chargers at Tuggerah (kinda hidden so see other thread or use Navigation), Heatherbrae, and Port Mac itself.
For the destination chargers, just use the 240V 3 pin plug that came with the car- hopefully the 15A one so you get faster charge.
The Port Mac Supercharger may well be all you need.

What did you do to find en route Superchargers, ATSC?
It's very very easy to do this drive with a car with a range of even 200ks!

True but only if you stay on the path and charge in the middle as the SR+ does 320K's max. Not the full distance (About 400K's from my house). Yes, we might stop at Heatherbrae and we might stray inland. A lot of the alternative network is 3 phase. Not Tesla... I don't know what route we might take or when we might get there. It might be more than a 1 day drive...

An update for the VINless:

Having tried and failed to get any responses from Tesla by phone or email, I finally decided to go and visit the Alexandria delivery centre in person. (I work just around the corner, so it's very convenient - but I hadn't wanted to get under anyone's feet while they were busy with their EOQ rush). At 5pm yesterday the delivery centre was virtually deserted. There were just two employees there and one guy taking delivery of a blue / white P+. He had apparently been inspecting the car for an hour, so they were clearly no longer trying to rush people out of the door. Apparently the rest of the team was at a meeting in St Leonards.

I was told by the delivery guy that they they are basically waiting on new stock to arrive, now that the end-of-quarter push is over. They are still expecting to receive cars on each ship that arrives in Sydney. They have a shortage of 'premium interior' cars available - particularly the white ones. So if yours is a white interior then you may be in for a long wait. But they also don't have enough black premium interiors. I guess this explains why anecdotally most deliveries recently seem to have been SR+s.

He apologised that I hadn't been able to get a response by phone / email, but that they had been overwhelmed. He said that he had 2000+ unread emails and that the phones were going unanswered. He assured me that the reservation system was 'legitimate' and that reservation holders were being prioritised (despite all evidence to the contrary). Perhaps they are prioritising reservation holders over non-reservation holders, but without taking into account the actual reservation date?

I was told that I personally don't yet have a VIN assigned. (Which I knew anyway from looking at the webpage source). The VINs are generally assigned once cars are loaded on the ships. (Unless you get assigned someone else's cancellation, I guess). He assured me that I would get my car 'this quarter' - which impressed me not one bit! He then revised this to 'almost certainly late October'.

One thing that I had meant to ask about but completely forgot was FSD. Like many here, I plan to add FSD after delivery in order to avoid the 'rip-off Australia' taxes of stamp-duty and LCT. But this means that I run the risk of being hit with a FSD price-hike before I actually get my hands on the car. It would seem to me to be completely unjust if I end up paying more for this option than the people who were lucky enough to get an early delivery. If anyone can get an answer out of Tesla on this then it would be appreciated.

Overall, I'm still feeling excited about receiving my long-awaited car. Even if I do end up feeling a little more resentful every time the fuel guage on my car edges towards empty and I realise that I haven't yet bought my last tank of petrol. And to make matters worse, the rego / pink slip / insurance on my 13 year old Prius are now due at the end of the month. I had really hoped that sorting out these would be 'somebody else's problem'!

FYI, I'm waiting on a MSM / black P+. Reserved 5/4/2016 and order placed 4/6/2019.

Nice, found it on plugshare. 35 Nabiac Street. Last note "Currently down' October 1. :( Did find a lot of others though around NSW...
Yeah, Plugshare and ABetterRoutePlanner. Route planner as the name suggests only really shows them if they are en route but Plugshare lets you move around. Plugshare isn't great at distinguishing CCS1 and CCS2 (usually requires user to comment) but Chargefox's NextCharge app and ABRP generally does.

Yeah, Plugshare and ABetterRoutePlanner. Route planner as the name suggests only really shows them if they are en route but Plugshare lets you move around. Plugshare isn't great at distinguishing CCS1 and CCS2 (usually requires user to comment) but Chargefox's NextCharge app and ABRP generally does.
Was just thinking that the Nabiac charger being down is like a petrol station out of petrol. Only that doesn't really happen, does it? I hope we have bought into the right technology after all this. :) Teething troubles I guess...

Reactions: kieranu