Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just thinking that the Nabiac charger being down is like a petrol station out of petrol. Only that doesn't really happen, does it? I hope we have bought into the right technology after all this. :) Teething troubles I guess...
Yeah, if its down for long enough. Otherwise its like the tanker sitting there. But yeah if its down for a week or so that's not good. Over time there will be sufficient redundancy. Like in even the smallest of Australian towns there's usually at least two or three servos / roadhouses

Reactions: ATSC
Probably not, there was a lot of pent up demand. But, who knows? I've seen three other TM3s on the road today.
I think you are not quite right there. I believe they will become the number 1 selling car in Aus, just like in other countries. And I think it will happen more quickly than people expect. If they have the volume to back up the coming orders then no probs. Most live in big cities and the SR+ is pretty much perfect for this scenario and is fabulous to drive. I will never go back.

In class maybe. The cost is prohibitive for most here without incentives.
I expect the price to drop next year closer to the Y intro date. Also, people generally find a way to get what they want (I used Leaseplan to drop below cash price). Plus incentives. I think we might end up with these. Unfortunately for us all of these things will likely cause a lot of frustration for buyers of the first round of imports. We may see price falls and loss of resale value. It happened in the US, it will happen here. Once you have a car built like a computer with few moving parts and parts that decrease in price over time like batteries, you have price decreases over time. Let us hope too that battery degradation is similar to the US models. I don't really want to be replacing it unless prices fall.

Last edited:
Agreed there is one Supercharger, and 2 destination chargers attached to motels who want to charge you to stay the night. But there are other options. I just need to know the cabling...
Why not just drive to Heatherbrae, then to Port Macquarie? Why are you trying to complicate this? By my reckoning, depending on where you are leaving from in Sydney, and assuming that you start with about 90% charge, then you will need less than 25 minutes charging at Heatherbrae before running all the way to Port Macquarie.

Reactions: smithy
Why not just drive to Heatherbrae, then to Port Macquarie? Why are you trying to complicate this? By my reckoning, depending on where you are leaving from in Sydney, and assuming that you start with about 90% charge, then you will need less than 25 minutes charging at Heatherbrae before running all the way to Port Macquarie.
Because as I said (but not so clearly) I may not be driving directly all in one day. Also may go off-piste and away from the main route. Drivers do that you know...

Plus incentives
#straya so au contraire
Electric cars: call for tax on road usage to cover lost fuel revenue

Best I think can be hoped for is a drop / removal of LCT but this will probably happen across the board, not just electric and yes will impact resale values for us early adopters.

Economies of scale will bring down the price a little as batteries get cheaper etc but Teslas won't come down too much as they are a premium car and also being sold on their FSD capability, unmatched entertainment system, etc. There are a few lower end options coming up that may be more affordable like one being made by Renault for the Chinese and Indian market but don't know if or when that will appear here.

#straya so au contraire

Best I think can be hoped for is a drop / removal of LCT but this will probably happen across the board, not just electric and yes will impact resale values for us early adopters.

Economies of scale will bring down the price a little as batteries get cheaper etc but Teslas won't come down too much as they are a premium car and also being sold on their FSD capability, unmatched entertainment system, etc. There are a few lower end options coming up that may be more affordable like one being made by Renault for the Chinese and Indian market but don't know if or when that will appear here.
Maybe, but he needs volume, as soon as he has volume he can lower the price. My worst fear is the opposite happening. Look at the iPhone - 2.5K for a phone? You serious? Prices have increased. Competition has increased. He wont lose, he is still tesla as a brand. And the brand is a selling point. Anyway, we will all be better off as we can always choose something else once they get good enough to compete.

Reactions: kieranu
#straya so au contraire

Yeah well that killed my purchase of a Performance. I would be very annoyed if this LCT drop happens. Likely we will end up with some tax too. If they could tax the fly crossing the road they would... Then as usual no one wins.

Reactions: kieranu
I have created a support thread for team VINLess: Wailing wall for Australian Model 3 team VINLess!

While Tesla are tentatively saying "October", it is clear that this is far from guaranteed so a support group/safe place to moan about it and share whatever information that you have would be useful.

Please head over to the thread and introduce yourself with information about your order!

Agreed there is one Supercharger, and 2 destination chargers attached to motels who want to charge you to stay the night. But there are other options. I just need to know the cabling...
As others have said, with Model 3 you are pretty well covered:
  • Tesla Superchargers
  • NRMA DC Fast Chargers have a CCS2 plug on them
  • Take your UMC and tails with you, and you can plug in to any standard 10A or 15A socket.
The only thing I’d get would be one of these:

J1772 to 62196-2 Type 2 Converter 32A in SAE J1772 Connectors for Sale

That way you could plug into a tethered J-1772 charger that has no other plugs on it. But they are becoming increasingly rare (the equipment will either have more than one plug type on it, or is co-located with other chargers that have CCS2). The Plugshare App is your friend as to showing you what publicly accessible electricity is available, where, and the type of plug.

I was told by the delivery guy that they they are basically waiting on new stock to arrive, now that the end-of-quarter push is over

I'd agree with that statement, based on what I've heard as of today re our reservation + what you've heard. I suspect they had a big supply spike for September to try boost the EoQ deliveries and have now exhausted most of that, and now are waiting for more stock to clear into the country to get more deliveries out.

I had a delivery appointment on 27th Sep. No delivery. No response to emails. Likewise, phone calls on hold, eventually go to message bank that is full. After 1 hr Fri, 1 hr Sat, 1 hr Sun and 1 hr Mon calling I finally got through. I was told they had 'logistics issues' and that Tesla 'overwhelmed the transport company'. Could they not have let me know this. They had to have know in advance that it didn’t get on a truck to NW NSW (Inverell).

I was given a new delivery appointment today, 4th Oct. However, just like last time no delivery. No word from Tesla. Again, I can’t get hold of them. I am an extremely calm and patient person but I am beginning to get …. The lack of communication is the thing that annoys me the most.

Meanwhile my sole trader business is incurring the cost of car payments, insurance, registration etc and not getting the use of the vehicle, thereby impacting my revenue. There is certainly no way my business would survive treating my customers this way. My Model 3 had better be AMAZING.

[17 August 2018 Reservation, July 17 2019 order, SR+ white].
* on a side note - my number plates just turned up in the mail. I now have $70000+ number plates :)

Last edited:
Un
I had a delivery appointment on 27th Sep. No delivery. No response to emails. Likewise, phone calls on hold, eventually go to message bank that is full. After 1 hr Fri, 1 hr Sat, 1 hr Sun and 1 hr Mon calling I finally got through. I was told they had 'logistics issues' and that Tesla 'overwhelmed the transport company'. Could they not have let me know this. They had to have know in advance that it didn’t get on a truck to NW NSW (Inverell).

I was given a new delivery appointment today, 4th Oct. However, just like last time no delivery. No word from Tesla. Again, I can’t get hold of them. I am an extremely calm and patient person but I am beginning to get …. The lack of communication is the thing that annoys me the most.

Meanwhile my sole trader business is incurring the cost of car payments, insurance, registration etc and not getting the use of the vehicle, thereby impacting my revenue. There is certainly no way my business would survive treating my customers this way. My Model 3 had better be AMAZING.

[17 August 2018 Reservation, July 17 2019 order, SR+ white].

Unlucky. I reserved in March and ordered may 31. Got car 18 September. However I got FSD and apparently FSD get it earlier.

• Informative
Reactions: Mawu-gi