Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at a car vacuuming area from a car wash yesterday cleaning and minding my own business. The spot I was at is right in front of the line people pass through to get into the automatic car wash.

I opened up the front trunk to vacuum the inside and heard someone in those cars say "Why is that guy vacuuming his engine?". I left the frunk open the whole time as I cleaned everything and saw people perplexed just staring in amazement. A man cleaning his car next to me actually told me "I expected to see an engine in front but I didn't see any! How are you going to get home now?", in a hopefully joking manner.

I'm surprised people were surprised. This is Los Angeles, where you can see a Tesla at every corner! I would've expected most people to be familiar with the frunk by now.

We don’t drive with our frunks open. ;)

With that said, I vacuum the ICE components of my Volt.

Debris gets trapped in the engine bay for certain.

Just because you can’t “see” it, doesn’t mean it isn’t there. :)

Not sure if this counts as a Model 3 moment, but I just accidentally drag raced a police officer...

I was stopped at a red light talking to my wife at night when a car pulls up next to us. I didn't pay much attention and just saw the white part of it because it was dark outside. We both gunned it when the light turned green and, as usual, only went up to the speed limit. Then I noticed the other car going faster and that it was actually a cop.

We stopped at the next red light again but this time I accelerated normally. Turns out he just wanted to get in front of me to make a left turn another block later. :confused:

I was working at home in my bathrobe last week when I heard hard/fast knocking on our back door. Looking outside I saw it was my elderly neighbor, 79 years old, and she was quite riled up. It was a crisp/chilly morning and she had gone outside for something and was locked out of her house with no phone, no spare key, no car keys and no warm clothing. She wanted to use our phone to call her husband. I invited her in. Unfortunately, her husband is hard of hearing and never answers his cell phone. And he didn't. I offered to help her break into her house but she thought if I would give her a ride a couple of miles, she could find her husband and get a key. I threw on some clothes thinking this would be a good opportunity to give her a ride in my P3D. :D

Leaving the driveway she was mad at her husband because she said he accidently locked the door on his way out. But when I backed silently up the driveway, put it in Drive and gently accelerated, her mad frustration turned to open delight and surprise as she said "you can't hear the engine..." I told her it was electric and she commented over and over about how nice of a car it was and how "smooth" it felt. They tend to buy luxury sedans themselves and have a number of fairly nice cars parked in and around their home.

Her husband was not to be found but she remembered her balcony door was unlocked if I could use a ladder to get up there. I told her that would be no problem and she was greatly relieved. Since we were in an open area with no visible traffic I said "I'll show you what I really like about this car" as I slowed to 10 mph, looked over to make sure her head was near the headrest and her spine was straight before pushing the go pedal to the floor. I glanced back over to see a look, not of fear, but of excitement and eye-opening wonder before she broke out into laughter as I eased off the accelerator. This really got her animated and she said she was a fast driver and she would really get into trouble if she had this car. The next day I saw her and she told me how she told her husband about the Tesla and how it goes "zoom-zoom"! Very impressed. The way she said "zoom-zoom" still makes me chuckle. Three days later my wife said she ran into her outside and all she could talk about was her ride in the Tesla and how it went "zoom-zoom".

LOL.... "go pedal"... you mean the "accelerator"?

I call it the "go pedal" as well - it makes people smile when they realize all over again: oh right, no gas!

Had a nice Model 3 Moment yesterday as I was walking toward the car. There was a fellow walking about 30 feet ahead of me, so I thought I'd see what would happen if I popped the frunk right as he walked past the car. ;)

He stopped dead in his tracks and peered at the hood, then slowly started looking around. Finally turned back and saw me approaching and then started chuckling.

"Did you do that?"

"Yes, sorry to startle you" as I opened the frunk and put my purchase inside.

His eyes got really big and he asked where the engine was. Told him I'd lost it and he laughed, then I told him I really didn't have one. He couldn't believe it so we ended up having a nice chat. He hadn't heard of Tesla before (seriously!) He asked how much I'd paid for it and after I told him and broke it down with the gas money savings, he was very impressed. He said he lives on a boat and would love to have a similar set-up for the boat.

I dunno if it's where I live or what, but I own two Model 3's, and we never get anyone who pays attention to them. No one ever gives them a second look. I think they don't know what they are.

Back when I had the Model S, I did used to get a decent amount of looks and occasionally a talk in the parking lot. I think maybe one car wanted to race it at a stoplight one time.

With the 3's ... nothing. Nada, zip. No one has ever wanted to race, I haven't had anyone ask any questions, no one looks at them. I think the most attention they've gotten was I've had another Model 3 driver wave a couple times.

I have no idea why. I'm glad you guys get this kind of interaction, I think it's great. But where I'm at, it may as well be a Honda Accord.

I dunno if it's where I live or what, but I own two Model 3's, and we never get anyone who pays attention to them. No one ever gives them a second look. I think they don't know what they are.

Back when I had the Model S, I did used to get a decent amount of looks and occasionally a talk in the parking lot. I think maybe one car wanted to race it at a stoplight one time.

With the 3's ... nothing. Nada, zip. No one has ever wanted to race, I haven't had anyone ask any questions, no one looks at them. I think the most attention they've gotten was I've had another Model 3 driver wave a couple times.

I have no idea why. I'm glad you guys get this kind of interaction, I think it's great. But where I'm at, it may as well be a Honda Accord.

Are there a lot of Teslas around Houston? Maybe they are humdrum ordinary now, as in parts of CA.

Here in Maryland/DC, there are a TON of 3s on the street but both our S and our 3 still get attention. And whenever we have house parties, there are people who want test drives. :)

Alan

Reactions: StealthP3D
Are there a lot of Teslas around Houston?

Yes, there are quite a few around here. In Tesla's US Carbon Impact list you'll find Houston at #10 behind 8 cities in California and Seattle, WA. Austin and Dallas show up just after us at 12 and 14 respectively.

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 3.15.05 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux
Yes, there are quite a few around here. In Tesla's US Carbon Impact list you'll find Houston at #10 behind 8 cities in California and Seattle, WA. Austin and Dallas show up just after us at 12 and 14 respectively.

View attachment 373729

Thank you for the info re Houston AND for the link.

I'm disappointed, though: I live around DC and DC doesn't even show up in the top 50 in the USA. :-(

Thanks,
Alan

Reactions: CatB and SpiceWare
Thank you for the info re Houston AND for the link.

No problem! I think Texas surprises people in things like this and that we're #1 in wind power.
The five states with the most wind capacity installed at the start of 2017 were:[3]
  1. Texas (20,321 MW)
  2. Iowa (6,917 MW)
  3. Oklahoma (6,645 MW)
  4. California (5,662 MW)
  5. Kansas (4,451 MW)

Looking at the interactive map here, created by the group that produced the above data, those numbers as of January 2019 are:
  1. Texas (24,899 MW)
  2. Iowa (8,422 MW)
  3. Oklahoma (8,072 MW)
  4. California (5,885 MW)
  5. Kansas (5,653 MW)
So we have more capacity than the next 3 states combined, plus we have 5,322 MW of capacity under construction.

I'm questioning the veracity of this report. UPS drivers don't turn left.
Why UPS drivers don't turn left and you probably shouldn't either
I've heard it alleged that left turns are illegal in Moscow. Here's at least some evidence that might be true. "In Moscow and other cities, left hand turns are forbidden."

(I was trying to think of an ObM3Story to put here, but TBH in the last year we've gone from Teslas still being a rare bird around here to, now, almost commonplace. So no exceptional reactions to report.)

Pulling into a "gas station" in my chevy pickup and i pressed the park button on the end of the shifter. It was actually the tow-haul button and when took my foot off the brake and reached for the seat belt the truck was moving towards the car in front of me! Fossil vehicles can be dangerous!