Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Performance Street/Track Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@davidato One point worth mentioning: If you're just doing track days and not racing, do you care more about fast or fun?

For example, I don't doubt what others here have said, that putting on the grippiest, widest rubber possible is a better $ investment for faster lap times - if your driving is up for it! - than coilovers if your budget doesn't allow for both.

However, playing devil's advocate and with some (limited) track time in cars ranging from very soft to quite stiff, I think a stock 2021+ M3P is on the soft, poorly controlled side of things for track duty. Not saying it can't get around the track quick with good rubber, but if I'm not literally racing, I'd rather put my car parts budget towards making the car more controllable and fun, and cooling upgrades!!, than just throwing on race tires and boating my way around the track on the stock suspension.

I mean I had the 2021 M3P floating and bouncing around on a back road feeling totally out of control just on my test drive with stock rubber. Yes back roads are more taxing in some ways for suspension control than big smooth racetrack turns, but still...pairing really grippy tires with the stock suspension doesn't sound very fun to me.

Tire-wise you'll still want a proper "extreme performance" category tire that can hold up well to track duty of course, something <= 200 TW, but I would start off with one known for having good wear and heat cycle characteristics, even if it's never going to set any time attack records or such. I'd work on getting my driving + suspension into a good place with the new car before investing in any very expensive-per-mile/lap rubber.

Also hopefully you know that, like pretty much any car, the M3P comes with street brake pads and fluid, obviously swap those out for your track pads and DOT4 fluid of choice.

@davidato One point worth mentioning: If you're just doing track days and not racing, do you care more about fast or fun?

For example, I don't doubt what others here have said, that putting on the grippiest, widest rubber possible is a better $ investment for faster lap times - if your driving is up for it! - than coilovers if your budget doesn't allow for both.

However, playing devil's advocate and with some (limited) track time in cars ranging from very soft to quite stiff, I think a stock 2021+ M3P is on the soft, poorly controlled side of things for track duty. Not saying it can't get around the track quick with good rubber, but if I'm not literally racing, I'd rather put my car parts budget towards making the car more controllable and fun, and cooling upgrades!!, than just throwing on race tires and boating my way around the track on the stock suspension.

I mean I had the 2021 M3P floating and bouncing around on a back road feeling totally out of control just on my test drive with stock rubber. Yes back roads are more taxing in some ways for suspension control than big smooth racetrack turns, but still...pairing really grippy tires with the stock suspension doesn't sound very fun to me.

Tire-wise you'll still want a proper "extreme performance" category tire that can hold up well to track duty of course, something <= 200 TW, but I would start off with one known for having good wear and heat cycle characteristics, even if it's never going to set any time attack records or such. I'd work on getting my driving + suspension into a good place with the new car before investing in any very expensive-per-mile/lap rubber.

Also hopefully you know that, like pretty much any car, the M3P comes with street brake pads and fluid, obviously swap those out for your track pads and DOT4 fluid of choice.
I’m looking to have fun with friends on track days! Obviously we get competitive sometimes but it’s all in good fun. This is a street car first. Track car second. Most likely I’ll have two sets of wheels similar to what I have currently. RT660 for track sets and some kind of all season or summer tire for daily. I’ll probably take all recommendations and also put them next to what I want to do with the car as well. I do want the car to look good too, so not every modification will make “logical” sense!

Reactions: tm1v2
I think this car's achilles heel is the suspension. Coilovers + camber arms, toe arms, adjustable fuca would be my priority.

Then, if dual purpose, 19" wheels and tires that don't shred on a track. If budget allows, track specific wheels and tires in 18" or 19".

Then, rotors, though if you're going to push really hard make that a BBK

Then, suspension bushings.

What we really need is for Tesla to bring out a performance division of motor upgrades and add ons. Imagine being able to drop in Plaid level motors into our cars.

Speaking of tightening up the nut behind the steering wheel… can you guys point me in the right direction on how to change out the seats? I already know the stock seats are not even close to ctr seats. Thinking of sportster cs 😅

I
yeah. I spoke with them and they won't sell their emulator separately from that package. I'm not really looking for a full bucket seat, since this will be doing double duty. I'll most likely have to either just deal with it or ask some of the atomic guys over in the EU about how they went about it.

What we really need is for Tesla to bring out a performance division of motor upgrades and add ons. Imagine being able to drop in Plaid level motors into our cars.
I don't think Tesla will ever have a performance division. Performance upgrades will be handled solely by the aftermarket which means there won't be any "blessed" altered configurations other than the ones Tesla offers in future cars (ie, the hoped-for Model 3 Plaid, etc.) LR acceleration boost and legacy Model S P85D Ludicrous upgrades notwithstanding. (The former is purely a software config, the latter hasn't been offered in years.)

If Musk were interested in racing, he'd probably be building a Formula E team and race cars. Instead, he's paying $44B for a cesspool of hate.

That $44B could fund a Formula E team for a century, if not more. Mercedes might apply knowledge gained from their Formula E teams to their EQ-series cars, and eventually surpass Tesla in terms of battery/motor tech.

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
I don't think Tesla will ever have a performance division.

"ever" is a long time. It would be the first major car producer ever to never have a performance division if true. At the moment it makes no sense as they can't make cars fast enough to meet demand, but one day that will change, and you look to other avenues for growth, scrape at the bottom of the barrel selling a few ///M Teslas

I don't think Tesla will ever have a performance division. Performance upgrades will be handled solely by the aftermarket which means there won't be any "blessed" altered configurations other than the ones Tesla offers in future cars (ie, the hoped-for Model 3 Plaid, etc.) LR acceleration boost and legacy Model S P85D Ludicrous upgrades notwithstanding. (The former is purely a software config, the latter hasn't been offered in years.)

If Musk were interested in racing, he'd probably be building a Formula E team and race cars. Instead, he's paying $44B for a cesspool of hate.

That $44B could fund a Formula E team for a century, if not more. Mercedes might apply knowledge gained from their Formula E teams to their EQ-series cars, and eventually surpass Tesla in terms of battery/motor tech.
Sadly, I think you're right. We could wish, though.

I just can't believe his childlike brain didn't think to make the Plaid Performance subdivision a thing.

S3XY PP fits right into his thinking.

I

yeah. I spoke with them and they won't sell their emulator separately from that package. I'm not really looking for a full bucket seat, since this will be doing double duty. I'll most likely have to either just deal with it or ask some of the atomic guys over in the EU about how they went about it.
Seat occupancy sensor will be an easy add on resistor(a breakout box can usually find that value). However, the airbag is a different story.

Reactions: davidato
I don't think Tesla will ever have a performance division.
Mercedes was founded in 1926. AMG was founded in 1967. Mercedes bought AMG in 1999.

BMW was founded in 1916, their first M car was in 1978.

Hyundai sold their first car in the USA in 1986. The N division was founded in 2016.

Most automotive brands take decades before they spend resources on a performance division.

Mercedes was founded in 1926. AMG was founded in 1967. Mercedes bought AMG in 1999.

BMW was founded in 1916, their first M car was in 1978.

Hyundai sold their first car in the USA in 1986. The N division was founded in 2016.

Most automotive brands take decades before they spend resources on a performance division.
Valid point. So it's likely to be a couple decades out or more, assuming Elon or one of his successors becomes interested.

I just got mpp sport coilovers, lower control arm bushings and camber arms installed today and so far all I can say is wow! This car feels soooo much more planted and more like a proper sports sedan. I had a type r a few years back and this seems pretty close. Granted you can still feel the heft vs the R. Btw the ride of the sports are very good not harsh at all.

Reactions: davidato and tm1v2
I just got mpp sport coilovers, lower control arm bushings and camber arms installed today and so far all I can say is wow! This car feels soooo much more planted and more like a proper sports sedan. I had a type r a few years back and this seems pretty close. Granted you can still feel the heft vs the R. Btw the ride of the sports are very good not harsh at all.
@Bigsakius I recently installed a similar setup, Redwood Sport Ohlins + MPP FLCA bearings. It's amazing how much better this car feels on a good suspension, without sacrificing ride quality. There's so much potential for Tesla to give the M3P a better factory suspension but I guess they're not interested. 🤷‍♂️

@Bigsakius I recently installed a similar setup, Redwood Sport Ohlins + MPP FLCA bearings. It's amazing how much better this car feels on a good suspension, without sacrificing ride quality. There's so much potential for Tesla to give the M3P a better factory suspension but I guess they're not interested. 🤷‍♂️
I agree, now my desire for a alpha quad is out the door lol.

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2

how important are the cooling mods? Coming from a ctr this is not a new issue, but something I’m not entirely looking forward to. There was a long list of mods that we had to do just to make it survive a full 20 minute session of hot lapping. Add in SoCal heat and we’re spending half the session cooling down.

About how long can these cars last on stock cooling systems before having to cool down (assuming brakes and tires overheat first)? What are your recommendations on cooling mods? Which ones make the biggest impact?

how important are the cooling mods? Coming from a ctr this is not a new issue, but something I’m not entirely looking forward to. There was a long list of mods that we had to do just to make it survive a full 20 minute session of hot lapping. Add in SoCal heat and we’re spending half the session cooling down.

About how long can these cars last on stock cooling systems before having to cool down (assuming brakes and tires overheat first)? What are your recommendations on cooling mods? Which ones make the biggest impact?
@davidato I'm the wrong person to ask for specific recommendations. I think this writeup from @MasterC17 will give you a sense of what needs addressing though.

• Love
Reactions: davidato