Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Model 3 Reviewed As ‘Coolest Car of 2017’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Automotive journalist Doug DeMuro, who attracts millions to his auto reviews on YouTube, has posted a thorough overview of the Tesla Model 3. He says the Model 3 is “the coolest car of the year.”

Among the observations in DeMuro’s column on the Model 3:

Acceleration – DeMuro drove the “long-range” version, capable of zero to 60 in 5.1 seconds. He was impressed with the car’s midrange power. “The Model 3 is raucously fast from 30 or 40 miles per hour — though ‘raucously’ is probably the wrong word, since the car makes absolutely no noise. It’s like a drama-free BMW M3.”

Handling – The Model 3 “stayed mostly flat in cornering and delivered no drama, even going fairly fast through some sharp turns. Body roll is minimal and steering is oddly responsive.”

Interior room – At 6-foot-4, DeMuro had no trouble sitting behind the wheel, but found the back seat tight for someone his size. “It’s totally livable.”

Screen – “I’m happy to report it’s just as sensitive, intuitive and wonderful to use as ever.”

Gripes – “I wish there were an auxiliary speedometer in the center, the ride is a bit rough with the optional 19-inch wheels, and — most of all — I wish the interior were just a little nicer.”

See the full video below.[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te6VqldjTT8″ video_title=”1″][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
you have noticed the success of the Model S and X, right?
Early adopters are not the same as mass (ish) market buyers. And there's been nowhere for those EA's to go but Tesla. If that should change (and it's not a foregone conclusion), then everything will change.
Which is kind of what we're all hoping for, right?
Robin

Early adopters are also less practical and typically have much more money to burn. :)

The reason why I want a BEV is not having to spend money on gasoline and the potential (this is Tesla after all) lower cost of repair and/or maintenance by not having to purchase a car with every increasing engine and transmission complexity just to meet CAFE requirements.

At those time you push the light itself ... @ 3:37
I'm well aware of that.
Internet is already full of info, learn before you preach.
Like this preaching.
You don't have to ... set them to AUTO, and they will turn on by themselves without you drilling anything ... including us here ...

So what if someone doesn't want to have to make multiple taps on the screen to turn on/off the lights. Every little criticism of the car doesn't have to be defended with with such attitude.

Last edited:
That’s the best criticism you can come up with? :rolleyes:
I didn't make the criticism. :rolleyes:
Like what? A headlight knob that pulls out of the dash? Twist it to adjust dimming? What?
How about putting the headlight controls with the windshield wiper icon, the UI is completely reconfigurable. They didn't relegate the wipers to the Quick Controls menu.

I've been a Tesla fan for a decade but I don't think they are infallible.

Very good and useful review. For me, it made the M3's attractive qualities more attractive, and its unattractive qualities more glaring. The car seems fun to drive, and that's good. But why on earth is it cool to have multiple ways to do something as essentially simple as opening a charge port? One of the nice features of the S is doing away with the separate "start" step. Adding multiple paths to something simple is not a sign of technical prowess. It's a sign of fritterware. Or why have to drill down through menus to do something as basic (and necessary) as turning on the headlights?
My wife watched the review and said, early on, "Tesla forgot the three click rule." Meaning you shouldn't have to hunt and peck to get where you're going. "Controlling the cabin lights off a screen menu is dumb'" she added. "The Prius way...just touching a light you want to come on, is so much better."
She might be onto something.
Robin

On a Model S (and I believe X), there are already at least four different ways to open the charge port: (1) keyfob, (2) phone app, (3) tap charge port cover, and (4) control panel.

The main one added in the Model 3 -- the charge port opens automatically when the charger handle approaches -- seems very cool. Necessary? No. Fun? Yes, IMO.

In the video you click on the charge cable's button to open the charge port. It doesn't open automatically when "the charger handle approaches." That's exactly the same as my 2012 Model S, adding number 5 to the above 4.

The German's can't offer 35% off of similarly specced EVs, with similar production, and expect to make any money. So, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
At least here in Europe that is almost 100% certain to happen because they`ll need to shove EVs down the throat of an awful lot of customers very soon or they´ll face horrendous fines due to their fleet`s co2 values that will make a jump of 20-40% with the new wltp cycle that replaces the "fill in whatever values you want" NEFZ bullshit.

They´ll pay dearly for having waited for so long and thanks to the Diesel scandal no amount of lobbying will save them this time. They profited for decades, this time they will pay. The premium brands will survive this, I´m not so sure about some "less" profitable brands.

I fully expect to be offered BMW/Mercedes/Audi EVs for the same crazy rebates as their normal ICEs as a company car.

Last edited:
Reactions: internalaudit
I didn't make the criticism. :rolleyes:
How about putting the headlight controls with the windshield wiper icon, the UI is completely reconfigurable. They didn't relegate the wipers to the Quick Controls menu.

I've been a Tesla fan for a decade but I don't think they are infallible.

I'd be okay with a different UI approach. I'd be against adding back in physical controls for it, with the counter-argument being why add physical controls for something one might occasionally do. I acknowledge that people might occasionally want to modify their headlight settings from auto, but would argue against having a physical manifestation, taking up space, for something that should be a relatively rare occurrence. Having a configurable UI would be awesome, but also increases the complexity and supportability from a development standpoint.

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61