Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 SatNav; SWMBO had enough it's navigating to the wrong places

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SWMBO told me; "I have enough of the crappy Tesla SatNav, its sending me to the wrong places all the time!" :mad:
"When using the same address my phone SatNav finds the correct places so from now I'm using my phone instead"

It did a Map Update about two weeks ago so the map should be up to date?

Anyone else having these kind of issues with the Model 3 SatNav?

Works fine for me in the US. Like EVERY mapping solution, there are times when the database is just wrong or missing information.
If you got a map update, then hopefully things will be better, but don't expect magic.

Even though I have no idea how good the UK address lookup accuracy is in the UK, I really have to challenge "wrong places all the time". My guess is that translates into incorrect routing maybe twice? And the poster translates that into always!

I followed it to the Bristol SC and ended up in the FEDEX distribution centre next door!
I was not the first and, I assume until it is updated, won't be the last.

I did exactly the same this afternoon. I'm sure the FedEx place must get fed up with Tesla's driving around their car park.

It took me five minutes of driving around to find the Tesla SC, and even then I only found it after taking another wrong turn, and being spotted by a guy in a Model S who beeped and pointed me in the right direction.

I haven’t had it take me to any wrong places but I was going to ask about where best to point questions and feedback. I know it’s a skinned thing with google data and other stuff I need to research so I will when I get time. It flatly refuses to accept there’s a road open near me. The problem is, it’s the main route to the M66 motorway. It’s not because it’s to small to fit the initial calculations (although it is small with passing places) it just refuses to acknowledge it exists. Even if I go down it, for about 2 miles it insists I do a u-turn. Been like that for months since I got the car. Then another road into Bury is 40mph but it insists it’s 60. All this within minutes of my house!

I live with the quirks because I think the integration into the car is great and whilst I’m sure Waze would kick it’s arse, it works splendidly as part of the whole machine. But I do wish it was a little more accurate with stuff like the above. Oh and if it would zoom a little more at junctions too.

Reactions: bitmanEV
I wish you could set it to follow the most efficient route rather than the fastest.
Brighton to West London is more efficient through the suburbs in SW London not via the M25 at 70mph.
It saves about 10% but the in car nav never routes it that way.

It only 10 minutes slower at most, so why not have that option?

Every SatNav I’ve used prior to the M3 had the option to find alternate routes and would say how much longer and b or shorter they were. This includes Google maps on an iPad or PC. So why can’t we do this on the M3. I’m about to drive a route to Bath from Oxford. I’ll ignore the M3 route and probably save about 5% energy and 12 miles at the expense of arriving 3 minutes later. Seems a good deal to me!

Reactions: RabC63 and bitmanEV
Basically, if you use any info other than just the postcode, it ignores the postcode. If you add a road to the postcode, or then chose the final location from the list, even if it offers only one choice, it will use the road name and not the postcode. If there are two roads with same name in the vicinity (which could be several miles away [or more]), there is a good chance that it will set navigation to the wrong location as it is only using the road name. Particularly bad when roads are split.

Try setting navigation to 'London Road, RG40 1SS' which would not be unreasonable if you did not know the destination. It will navigate you to the wrong side of the A329. RG40 1SS actually a school.

To compound matters, if you use an app to find a location and say drop a pin or look up destination details, then share that to the car (ie iOS / send to Tesla) then it would appear to send a location string, including road name. So even though you have used an exact map location, Tesla sat nav will reinterpret that and again, if there are roads of same name in the vicinity, it may end up choosing the wrong one.

In the UK, the postcode should be the definitive location if supplied, but the road name seems to take priority.

In this post. I dropped an exact pin location. Tesla sat nav took me to Church Road Horsell and not Church Road Woking (Horsell is in the borough of Woking). It took a 10 minute detour and faffing around when parked up to actually find the correct destination. Google Maps - send to car

• Helpful
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Would it really cost Tesla that much to use Google maps, or use android auto.

I love using the integrated satnav in my VW, but because it doesn't automatically update, it is over a year out of date, and has no idea the Queensferry crossing is now there.

Basically, if you use any info other than just the postcode, it ignores the postcode. If you add a road to the postcode, or then chose the final location from the list, even if it offers only one choice, it will use the road name and not the postcode. If there are two roads with same name in the vicinity (which could be several miles away [or more]), there is a good chance that it will set navigation to the wrong location as it is only using the road name. Particularly bad when roads are split.

Try setting navigation to 'London Road, RG40 1SS' which would not be unreasonable if you did not know the destination. It will navigate you to the wrong side of the A329. RG40 1SS actually a school.

To compound matters, if you use an app to find a location and say drop a pin or look up destination details, then share that to the car (ie iOS / send to Tesla) then it would appear to send a location string, including road name. So even though you have used an exact map location, Tesla sat nav will reinterpret that and again, if there are roads of same name in the vicinity, it may end up choosing the wrong one.

In the UK, the postcode should be the definitive location if supplied, but the road name seems to take priority.

In this post. I dropped an exact pin location. Tesla sat nav took me to Church Road Horsell and not Church Road Woking (Horsell is in the borough of Woking). It took a 10 minute detour and faffing around when parked up to actually find the correct destination. Google Maps - send to car

That's according to SWMBO exactly what happens... She's a contractor nurse and doing home and hospital visits so uses a SatNav lots of times a day

She isn't some weekend driver who uses a SatNav once a month hence she can't rely on the Tesla Model 3 SatNav what's a shame having that big useless screen sitting there

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
That's according to SWMBO exactly what happens... She's a contractor nurse and doing home and hospital visits so uses a SatNav lots of times a day

She isn't some weekend driver who uses a SatNav once a month hence she can't rely on the Tesla Model 3 SatNav what's a shame having that big useless screen sitting there
If she uses the full postal address in a diary entry then using diary synch mode and if so, does that take you to the correct address? If so, this would be a good use of something you DON'T get in other cars and fix the problem at the same time. So when getting in the car in the morning, her first appointment is up on the screen and away she goes. Repeat all day and everyone's happy?

Reactions: freekie
I've done that and it got it wrong too. Again, same road name, different postcodes, split by an A road. It was a full residential address down to the house number - sent to car automatically as calendar event. It took me wrong road, same name, different post code, wrong side of the A road. Thankfully a postman was there so sorted out the 'they are all odd numbers this side' confusion and it was relatively easy to get to the correct road. But some times it can be several miles out and not so easy to re navigate.

If I get the chance, I will try and repeat tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimbo_hippo
I find Google street view useful to get an idea of what the last few turnings look like (before setting off) so I have at least some vague familiarity with the place.

Did this when heading to Bristol SC, it helped a lot. From what I remember it's tucked away behind some other business units and is really out of the way.

I find Google street view useful to get an idea of what the last few turnings look like (before setting off) so I have at least some vague familiarity with the place.

Did this when heading to Bristol SC, it helped a lot. From what I remember it's tucked away behind some other business units and is really out of the way.

For anyone going to the Bristol SC, then ignore the sat nav when it tells you to turn into the Fed Ex site, go straight on to the end of that road and turn left, then carry on to the end of that road and the Tesla SC is hidden on the left.

The chap in the Model S that beeped at me when I was obviously lost, had also found the place hard to find. The chap in the SC just said that most people had a problem finding them, and they really need to update the position pin on the map...

If you do drive into the Fed Ex place, and carry on far enough into their rear car park, you can just see the rear of the Tesla SC, behind a steel fence, not that it helps you find it.