Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 SatNav; SWMBO had enough it's navigating to the wrong places

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for reviving an old thread (better than creating a new thread though, right...?) - have largely enjoyed the first 600 miles/12 days in the M3 (mostly in Devon and thereabouts), but am more than a little disappointed with the sat nav (50k car blah blah, the one in my Leaf and a hundred quid TomTom are better blah blah).

No waypoints, an occasional disparity between the voice ('second exit') and the graphic (third exit of four) - and an absolute addiction to b-roads and tracks if it makes for a nice straight line on Google maps.

Any idea if waypoints and routing options (fastest/quickest/avoid godawful farm tracks) are coming down the line?
I've never seen an issue with the routing, it's so similar to what Google Maps produces on my phone I assume it's the same. Yes it can't count exits.

Surely most journeys in Devon would be on B roads.

I've never seen an issue with the routing, it's so similar to what Google Maps produces on my phone I assume it's the same. Yes it can't count exits.

Surely most journeys in Devon would be on B roads.
The journey we did yesterday should have been almost entirely on A-roads (yes, a rarity in this part of the world). Instead, the Tesla satnav kept trying to take us off the A-road and onto unclassified roads simply because it made for a more direct (if much slower) route. (We had Google maps running on a phone at the same time and it didn't default to that route, and even if it had, the key difference is, of course, is that you can easily select an alternate route.)

It's not the first time this has happened on this holiday, which makes me think that the system is at its best in cities and with nice straight main roads, which wouldn't be a complete surprise given that it's an American car that (despite the steering wheel!) still seems to select the profile of whoever's sitting on the left of the car. ;)

The journey we did yesterday should have been almost entirely on A-roads (yes, a rarity in this part of the world). Instead, the Tesla satnav kept trying to take us off the A-road and onto unclassified roads simply because it made for a more direct (if much slower) route. (We had Google maps running on a phone at the same time and it didn't default to that route, and even if it had, the key difference is, of course, is that you can easily select an alternate route.)

It's not the first time this has happened on this holiday, which makes me think that the system is at its best in cities and with nice straight main roads, which wouldn't be a complete surprise given that it's an American car that (despite the steering wheel!) still seems to select the profile of whoever's sitting on the left of the car. ;)
Very odd, that's certainly not my experience at all, and I don't live in a city. Is 'Online Routing' enabled under the settings cog for navigation.

I went to a farm park in the Cotswold the other day and the car took me on a very scenic drive on very narrow roads, I suspect this was the most direct/shortest route. It was definitely not the quickest. On the way back it I follow Google maps and it was a lot quicker, and a lot more relaxing to drive

Reactions: DigbyChicken
I wish I could train our car to use our preferred route home. Invariably it directs us to take single track lane when we get to a mile of our home, which is neither more direct nor faster. And none of Google Maps, Apple Maps or Waze suggest that route, so I am puzzled what routing algorithm is used by the Tesla system that selects the single track route.