Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Model S comparison slides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every component will be cheaper and inferior than Model S, everything, including body/frame material
Cheaper... err "lower cost" yes, but parts aren't necessarily inferior. They simply need to be able to mass produce them at lower cost.

Also body/frame of the Model S has both aluminum and steel. The Model 3 does as well. It's the percentage that's different.

The anti-selling is no more than a company trying to sell a product now instead of in 15 months.

When the Model 3 was a year plus out, they were trying to encourage reservation holders to switch to a Model S 60, because they could get the car in a month.

Now, that the model 3 is only 5-6 months out, they are trying to encourage people going into a store to not put a reservation down on a 15 month from now Model 3, but to buy a Model S now.

It makes perfect sense.

15 months from now, if everything is going well, and they're getting Model 3's out the door fast, then they will not be doing this. Sure they'll try to sell somebody on the 75k car vs the 40k car, but that's to be expected.

Again, as I think I said on another thread, many have been calling on Tesla not to over promise, and to instead under promise so that their products are as good or better than promised. You could argue they are just following that advice now. So I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, even if it is a bit of a downer to some right now.

Reactions: sandpiper
Again, as I think I said on another thread, many have been calling on Tesla not to over promise, and to instead under promise so that their products are as good or better than promised. You could argue they are just following that advice now. So I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, even if it is a bit of a downer to some right now.

Yea, but they are a bit too late with that. Elon just overhyped the Model 3 teasing it for years and years and that's what they are stuck with, yet. Expectations are so high right now, they won't be able to meet them all.

I guess that's why other car makers don't unveil their cars, or other consumer oriented companies their products, as early as Tesla did with the Model 3. They do some concepts and look if their customers would like something like that. Then they do a big campaign, shortly before the car comes out, and try to overwhelm their potential customers.

Tesla is now stuck with a potential Osborne effect, of uncertain size and a potential overhype, they might not be able to live up with. I think we won't see the next car unveils, Y, pickup, or roadster, as long before the car comes out, as we did with the 3.

Can't reveal my source because none exists, so you'll just have to believe me even though I don't believe it myself. Here's a portion of a leaked comparison chart that will be distributed to store employees after the final reveal in July. The current chart in circulation has the Model 3's premium features blanked out so as not to pre-announce anything. This updated chart shows the Model 3's unique and definitely premium features. Y'all can stop fretting now, but please don't tell anyone about this or my source will get in trouble and I may never talk to me again.

Model S and 3 Post-Reveal Comparison.jpg

Model S is our flagship, premium sedan with more range, acceleration, displays and customization options. It has a proven safety record and free, unlimited Supercharging for the duration of ownership when referred by an owner.

Model 3 is designed and built as a mass market, affordable electric vehicle. Although it will be our newest vehicle, Model 3 is not “Version 3” or the most advanced Tesla. Like Model S, it is designed to be the safest car in its class.

Model S and Model 3 are both designed to be the world’s leading cars in their class, built upon the fourth version of Tesla technology.

A couple of sencences in here might come as a surprise to some, but it's actually weird that Tesla feels the need to point it out...

So, the slide has just been published by Tesla on the web page and announced by Elon on Twitter Compare Model S and Model 3 | Tesla

Model S custom orders will now be delivered within 30 days? Or is this just another temporary demand lever? 30 day delivery doesn't sound like much of any backlog.
30 Days or less
Currently in full production, Model S orders placed today are delivered in fewer than 30 days.

"According to our source, the base Model 3, as of now, will start at 60kWh. This capacity comes in higher than what we originally expected and will meet the “at least 215 miles” of range that Tesla had first announced for the vehicle. Tesla is reportedly concentrating on the production of the premium battery at first, which is slated to be 74kWh, and likely badged as a Tesla Model 3 75."

I know it's just one unnamed source as they all are right now but This is new news isn't it? So 75 first then 60?
My hunch is when they say big battery first is that maybe they'll offer the big battery up front along with the smaller.

EXCLUSIVE: Tesla Model 3 battery pack details, Musk approves $216M budget for production line at Gigafactory 1

Claim is that Model 3 batteries will be available in capacities of 60 kWh and 75 kWh.

Am I reading the numbers right?

So currently Tesla's Model 3 battery building capacity is 600 units a month, which they have been doing for "several months". Say, six months, that would be a stock of 3600 batteries, minus whatever went to technology development.

An automated battery assembly line would make 4,000 batteries a day and financing to build that assembly line was approved this Wednesday.

So currently Tesla's Model 3 battery building capacity is 600 units a month, which they have been doing for "several months". Say, six months, that would be a stock of 3600 batteries, minus whatever went to technology development.

An automated battery assembly line would make 4,000 batteries a day and financing to build that assembly line was approved this Wednesday.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. :confused:

It does say "an increase in budget" which implies there was a previous budget.

They are currently building 20 modules a day, not 20 batteries a day for 6 months. Why would they pay 150 employees for halve a year, to do what the machine will be able to do in less than one day?

They say the batteries consist of 4 modules, so they are building 5 batteries a day right now and it probably was a lot less a month ago. I'd say we might see a couple more prototypes soon.

They are currently building 20 modules a day, not 20 batteries a day for 6 months. Why would they pay 150 employees for halve a year, to do what the machine will be able to do in less than one day?

They say the batteries consist of 4 modules, so they are building 5 batteries a day right now and it probably was a lot less a month ago.

You are right, it says "Tesla is currently building approximately 20 Model 3 battery modules per day by hand".

I wonder if the switch from "less than 60kWh" to actually being 60kWh is to make sure the base range exceeds that of the Bolt. I have to feel like they had already done some number crunching when they said 215+ and that the base battery would come in under 60kWh.

That has to be exactly the reason. C-suite Tesla people were stating on record the base 3 battery would be "less than 60 kWh" last year. Only thing that has changed was the Bolt's official EPA range rating, which blew away even the GM fans' expectations.
There would be no way Elon could release any version of a Model 3 with less rated range than the Bolt. They probably tried to match/exceed the Bolt's range with their original <60 kWh battery size, but found they couldn't, so they added the extra 5 kWh.

All Model 3 reservation holders wanting a smaller battery 3 should thank GM for forcing Tesla to up the kWh count. ;)

edit: oh, also, many people also thought that the Bolt's 60 kWh battery size was the overall pack size, with less actually being usable. Now we've found out the usable capacity is 60, with the overall size being a few kWh more (64-65 kWh from owner estimates).

• Informative
Reactions: Matias and JeffK