Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Model S comparison slides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I reading the numbers right?

So currently Tesla's Model 3 battery building capacity is 600 units a month, which they have been doing for "several months". Say, six months, that would be a stock of 3600 batteries, minus whatever went to technology development.

An automated battery assembly line would make 4,000 batteries a day and financing to build that assembly line was approved this Wednesday.

I was surprised as well. I would have thought that they'd have automated that process a while ago. Unless it won't take very long to plan and implement the few thousand battery packs they may have on hand are going to get used up pretty quickly once production starts in July.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I was surprised as well. I would have thought that they'd have automated that process a while ago. Unless it won't take very long to plan and implement the few thousand battery packs they may have on hand are going to get used up pretty quickly once production starts in July.

Then again, if Model S and Model X are any indication, July might be the start of slow production and real production be 3-6 months down the road?

Then again, if Model S and Model X are any indication, July might be the start of slow production and real production be 3-6 months down the road?
Right. If the initial supplier orders are any indication they're shooting for about 1,000 a week or so. At that rate, even if they have 4,000 packs made now and can make another 1,000 by the time production starts, they've only got enough for a little over a month of production. Hopefully the automation can come online before the end of July.

That has to be exactly the reason. C-suite Tesla people were stating on record the base 3 battery would be "less than 60 kWh" last year. Only thing that has changed was the Bolt's official EPA range rating, which blew away even the GM fans' expectations.
There would be no way Elon could release any version of a Model 3 with less rated range than the Bolt. They probably tried to match/exceed the Bolt's range with their original <60 kWh battery size, but found they couldn't, so they added the extra 5 kWh.

All Model 3 reservation holders wanting a smaller battery 3 should thank GM for forcing Tesla to up the kWh count. ;)

edit: oh, also, many people also thought that the Bolt's 60 kWh battery size was the overall pack size, with less actually being usable. Now we've found out the usable capacity is 60, with the overall size being a few kWh more (64-65 kWh from owner estimates).
That's just speculation. It could be the pack is barely under 60kWh and they round up. The article says they are doing the same for the 75 kWh pack (actual is 74, round up to 75 for marketing). We'll see when the car is out and people get into the software.

I don't think Every component of the Model 3 will be cheaper and inferior to the Model S.

It has already been stated by Tesla and Elon that the AP hardware and software is identical. The tires and such are also identical. One thing that is definitely not going to be inferior is the battery. The 2170 is not inferior to the 18650. Its advanced above the 18650.

The all glass roof of the Model 3 gave birth to the all glass roof of the Model S to the point where you can't get a hard shell on the Model S anymore. The Motor of the model 3 has been noted as being far more advanced as well to the point where they are using Model 3's motors in the new Tesla Semi.

Logic will also suggest that components in the Model 3 will be superior to the Model S simply because advancements in Technology are birthed daily. Tesla has a history of putting their latest technology in their current cars. The Model S made the spring of 2016 has been surpassed by the Model S that was made in the fall of 2016 because the technology was better in the fall.

Piggybacking on your comment, I believe Elon has stated that the model 3 reservations gave them access to BETTER component manufacturers with higher quality/lower cost due to anticipating the high volume of orders. He said before, they couldn't even get a meeting with the best ones due to their relatively low output and high risk they'd just fold at a moment's notice. Not saying Model 3 will be higher quality than S, but the components themselves should be very solid in their quality.

Piggybacking on your comment, I believe Elon has stated that the model 3 reservations gave them access to BETTER component manufacturers with higher quality/lower cost due to anticipating the high volume of orders. He said before, they couldn't even get a meeting with the best ones due to their relatively low output and high risk they'd just fold at a moment's notice. Not saying Model 3 will be higher quality than S, but the components themselves should be very solid in their quality.
That was early model S, before anyone knew they'd be successful. They've had tier 1 suppliers since then.

That was early model S, before anyone knew they'd be successful. They've had tier 1 suppliers since then.
Elon quote: "Whereas, particularly for Model S and to some degree for Model X, when we were trying to get suppliers for Model S, a lot of the top-tier suppliers wouldn't even work with us.... Having shown the results of the Model S and the Model X, the interest from suppliers went from basically getting like the worst team on second-tier suppliers to getting the best team on first-tier suppliers. It's really a big difference.".

"We're able to get usually the A team at the A supplier for Model 3"

This implies it was difficult for Model X too, as they continued to have to prove themselves to suppliers, which is a lot more recent than "early model S". Point is the same regardless, no reason to assume there will be crappy components in the 3 and they will easily be up to par with the quality of components from S/X, although clearly less features overall.

Elon quote: "Whereas, particularly for Model S and to some degree for Model X, when we were trying to get suppliers for Model S, a lot of the top-tier suppliers wouldn't even work with us.... Having shown the results of the Model S and the Model X, the interest from suppliers went from basically getting like the worst team on second-tier suppliers to getting the best team on first-tier suppliers. It's really a big difference.".

"We're able to get usually the A team at the A supplier for Model 3"

This implies it was difficult for Model X too, as they continued to have to prove themselves to suppliers, which is a lot more recent than "early model S". Point is the same regardless, no reason to assume there will be crappy components in the 3 and they will easily be up to par with the quality of components from S/X, although clearly less features overall.

I'd consider Brembo, Magna, Mercedes, Michelin, Bosch, ZF, and Takata top tier suppliers...

Perhaps you mean for minor components like bumper assemblies... sure maybe those will be cheaper and slightly better quality now with Model 3 from a different supplier.

Last edited:
A source told me they are starting with 50 cars / week the first month.

Assuming you have some good information, it seems like you could give a lot more detail without compromising the source(s) if you wanted to. As you have recently hinted at some info. of design or production challenges, you'll be taken a lot more seriously if you can back it up more and not remain in the realm of vague innuendo.

So please, share.

If not, I'll publicly say I think you're full of B.S.

Assuming you have some good information, it seems like you could give a lot more detail without compromising the source(s) if you wanted to. As you have recently hinted at some info. of design or production challenges, you'll be taken a lot more seriously if you can back it up more and not remain in the realm of vague innuendo.

So please, share.

If not, I'll publicly say I think you're full of B.S.

I don't really have any more info on the production rate. From what I recall, even internally they interpreted the supply ramp to mean 1000 per week initially. Then I think EM communicated through email it would be 50 per week in July. People were definitely relieved.

I missed an opportunity to talk to this person again last week, sorry no update on this or if the charging issue was fixed.

I just noticed www.tesla.com/compare was update with Model 3 Features. This was not listed when Elon tweeted out the compare link

• Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Aluminum and Steel Body
  • Coil Suspension
  • Optional Glass Roof
  • 18" or 19" Wheels

Screenshot from 2017-05-27 23-10-00.png

I just noticed www.tesla.com/compare was update with Model 3 Features. This was not listed when Elon tweeted out the compare link

• Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Aluminum and Steel Body
  • Coil Suspension
  • Optional Glass Roof
  • 18" or 19" Wheels

View attachment 228669
Looks like the least sinister explanation (as quoted earlier on) is the right one. They don't have features listed on Model 3 simply because the list was not finished.

Makes all the speculation about how Tesla would be misleading if they come with a glass roof on the Model 3 seem silly. I expect the over-analyzing of the 100 configurations to end similar.

For the ones who are interested in getting what those specs mean Trevor did a video about it:
What he heard is that the specs sheet given to the stores does not include Model 3 Premium Features because they are not definitive yet, or Tesla doesn't want to disclose them all yet.
This actually makes the most sense, and would solve all the confusion about the features. So that list is not meant to say the Model 3 won't have those features, just meant to be a summary of available premium features on the S.