Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Model S comparison slides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, some things are worse: Model S interior trim options are less today than they were before and ventilated seats are gone...

What has improved? Steering wheel heating and front seats, instrument cluster screen has improved once, center console added as mentioned...

Tesla doesn't exactly have a great track-record in improving Model S/X interiors... They are rather mediocre.
The S is getting and auto raise steering wheel. That's a good thing / improvement.

Tesla Model S, X will have auto-raise and lower steering wheel via OTA software update

The semi has 3 axles, conventional semis drive the wheels on 2 of the 3 axles. Tesla/Elon has previously said they wouldn't do cars with a motor at each wheel. That leaves you with a max of 3 motors (one per axle) and an option of using less.

For details start around Tesla Semi post 214.

For those wondering why the Semi is being mentioned in a Model 3 discussion it's because Elon said in the most recent conference call that the Semi will use Model 3 parts to keep costs down.

I haven't seen the quote from Elon, but assuming your wording is accurate, you didn't prove your point. A semi is definitely not a car.

I haven't seen the quote from Elon, but assuming your wording is accurate, you didn't prove your point. A semi is definitely not a car.

It's a design element. It doesn't matter the size of the vehicle his comment was how it wasn't efficient to put a motor at each wheel and you don't need more than one motor per axle. He never said anything about a car when he said it. He was just talking about the concept of motors vs axles.

Going further into the off topic of the Semi is the HP and torque required for to equal or beat a traditional semi doesn't require more than 3 motors. See the thread I linked to for the math on that.

I don't think it's unfortunate. Tesla surely could have fit a bigger battery, but they decided not to do so.

Elon has already said the battery capacity is maxed out based on the length of the wheel base and width of the vehicle.

You could redesign the entire car to put more battery modules in but it isn't about just fitting in a bigger battery.

Reactions: Matias
The semi has 3 axles, conventional semis drive the wheels on 2 of the 3 axles. Tesla/Elon has previously said they wouldn't do cars with a motor at each wheel. That leaves you with a max of 3 motors (one per axle) and an option of using less.
The actual quote is :
No, we'll manufacture that ourselves, and most of that semi is actually made out of Model 3 parts, by the way. It's actually using a bunch of Model 3 motors without revealing too much about the future of it, so we're able to use a very high volume vehicle, and then combine several motors to have -- I think it's actually going to have a very good gross margin like – that's just not something that the other -- it's like you can't do that with a traditional truck.

I don't know if I'd consider 3 a bunch, at least when I use bunch in a sentence. Who knows...
We find out in September right?

Reactions: ikjadoon
I don't know if I'd consider 3 a bunch, at least when I use bunch in a sentence. Who knows...

I would consider calling 3 a bunch to be an exaggeration but given Elon's ambiguity of not stating a number I'm on the fence about it being just loose terminology or the semi having more than 3 motors.

It's also important to specify I'm talking only of the tractor not the trailer. What they do about the trailer (if it does or doesn't have motors) I'm not covering in my posts unless I specifically mention the trailer (which I try to avoid). It could be the tractor has 3 motors and the trailer has more or it could be that the tractor has 3 motors and he uses bunch loosely or it could be that the tractor has more than 3 motors and I'm plain wrong. We'll see this September at the reveal.

Still the post I replied to first in this thread mentioned 6+ motors and assuming we are still talking tractor not trailer I don't know what that person is imagining for a configuration with more than 2 motors per axle that it would take for the plus.

End result if the bobtail semi tractor with no load is sitting around with more than 3 motors I'll eat crow and credit whoever was closest. If it has two motors on even one axle I'll eat crow about that factor alone on top of any I have to eat for the total number.

Holy moly.

I'd just like to point out that my tiny Leaf has 23 cubic feet of storage in its trunk. almost 10 less even with frunk included is kind of a big deal...breaker if this is accurate.

The world's best selling car has 13 ft^3 of trunk/cargo space. This is an overreaction.

For me personally, the trunk is one of the least important aspects of the car.

Reactions: DR61
Leaf is a hatchback. I have it and the S and the interior cabin of the Leaf is almost as big as the S (seating area not counting rear facing). S is just wider. It seems the 3 is very small and will compare in some ways poorly to bigger hatchback cars. The LEAF has its issues but interior room and storage was never an issue (even with a motor and drivetrain placement like an ICE).

Small? Aren't most saying the cabin size will be nearly equal to that of the S? Unless you specifically mean in terms of trunk size, in which case, duh. But compared to other popular trunked sedans, not at all.

Reactions: DR61
Leaf is a hatchback. I have it and the S and the interior cabin of the Leaf is almost as big as the S (seating area not counting rear facing). S is just wider. It seems the 3 is very small and will compare in some ways poorly to bigger hatchback cars. The LEAF has its issues but interior room and storage was never an issue (even with a motor and drivetrain placement like an ICE).

I drive an 8th Generation Honda Civic sedan, and my impression during a Model S test drive was that my Civic actually seemed to have more functional cabin space than the P90D.

The Model S cabin is very wide, but legroom is mediocre, and the cabin feels lower in terms of headroom. Where the S excels is in cargo space, where the huge hatchback area can rival some crossovers in footprint (though not cubic ft).

I do have a slight concern that the Model 3 cabin may actually be more spacious than the Model S cabin. The 3's low dash and simple instrumentation opens up the front row. The glass overhead window likewise improves headroom. If the 3 seats people more comfortably than the S in terms of space, that could hurt sales of the S.

The world's best selling car has 13 ft^3 of trunk/cargo space. This is an overreaction.

For me personally, the trunk is one of the least important aspects of the car.

The shape of the trunk actually matters more imo than the volume, up to a point.

My Civic has 12.5 cubic feet of trunk volume, and the space can be easily used because the rear wheel wells are unobtrusive. Some cars like the 2nd generation Acura TSX have bulky suspension towers that get in the way.

Reactions: SageBrush and DR61
Of course it is. Compare the Model 3, when it is available,
to the Model S at that time

Sure, what I say about Model S vs. Model 3 can change, however my point is people are making that choice already today between a Model S of today and Model 3 of tomorrow. That's the whole reason Tesla made this slide-set too. People are choosing between buying today or waiting for Model 3... and clearly Tesla has seen that, given the anti-selling and return of free Supercharging.

But I agree, certainly it is possible Tesla will try to differentiate Model S more down the road. We shall see.

I agree. I wonder how many more motors and solenoids are in the Model S that people don't know about.
As Model S and X steering wheel moves electronically at the moment and changes according to driver profiles, S and X users are aware of this.

I'm surprised, that this function is not implemented now, as it must be trivial task as the steering wheel already moves with driver profiles.

As Model S and X steering wheel moves electronically at the moment and changes according to driver profiles, S and X users are aware of this.

I'm surprised, that this function is not implemented now, as it must be trivial task as the steering wheel already moves with driver profiles.

I guess a similar omission was the lack of direct headrest adjustment until recently. It had been possible since the start of the premium seat, but I guess to save a bit on the adjustment toggles (the backseat part does not move up and down to facilitate direct headrest control) they tried to tie it into the lateral seat movement, which was unoptimal of course...

For some reason Tesla has just not prioritized many of these very normal high-end automotive features, even when they had the hardware to do it. It was obviously just a not a priority for them. Maybe that will now change as they are scrambling to make the Model S not look like an expensive Model 3 hatchback.