Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Model S comparison slides

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doubtful ... Tesla is trying to further separate the performance envelope between the Model 3 and S.
I suspect the base Model 3 will do 0-6 in the low 6 seconds and performance model in the low 5's :cool:

Except for Elon has already stated that the base Model 3 would be sub 6 second. How would the Model 3 be competitive with the BMW 3 series with a 5 second 0-60 on the performance model?

Reactions: sigmo32 and hoang51
He did say the performance model would be nearly as fast as the Model S (P100D implied by the context)... so there's that.
Elon Musk on Twitter

Right. And he didn't say it would be slower than the Model X. Also didn't say what version of Model S it would be slower than. The fact that performance increases just arrived for Model S make me feel better about the possibilities for Model 3 performance.

I think the performance model will be a 4 second or better car, but not released until they can do a lot of volume. Tesla has a lot of R&D into speed and they will want to use that against upcoming competition. They can probably design a 4 second model 3 with little effort.

Once they can do volume they will want to prioritize the high end model 3. Cannibalizing model S sales will not longer be something to manage.

Looks like they had to move the Model S times down to get ready for the Sub 6 Model 3. The Base Model S had to get out of the 5 second 0-60 times. That's where the Base Model 3 range is going to sit.

Can you imagine if Elon stated that the Model 3 ( which was quoted by Elon some time ago as coming in sub 6 sec 0-60 ) was coming in at 5.5 second 0-60 and that the base model S was coming in at the same times? How could they ever sell a base model S anymore?

Anywho....It appears that all NEWLY produced model S's have sub 5 second 0-60 times.

they are rolling out new software and hardware improvements that are enabling those performance enhancements.

Since the enhancements include hardware upgrades, those new specs are for new vehicles being built today and not the current fleet.

The improvements are more significant for the base versions of the Model S. The Model S 75 and its dual motor version are both gaining a full second of acceleration from 0 to 60 mph:

• Model 75: 4.3 seconds down from 5.5 seconds
  • Model S 75D: 4.2 seconds down from 5.2 seconds
I don't understand these times. You mean the difference between the 75 and the 75D is going to be 0.1 seconds? Who would pay for the D?

As for the more recent Model S 100D, it’s also seeing a slight improvement in acceleration:
Model S 100D: 4.1 seconds down from 4.2 seconds
The bigger Model X, which is only available with dual motor, is also seeing some new performance enhancements:

• Model X 75D: 4.9 seconds down from 6.0 seconds
  • Model X 100D: 4.7 seconds down from 5.2 seconds.
I don't understand this either. You mean the difference between the 75D and the 100D is 0.2 seconds? Who would want to pay the difference between the 75D and the 100D? The 90D must come in at 4.8 to make any sense.
It’s another example of Tesla regularly introducing upgrades to its vehicles without waiting for new model year.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has been guiding “less than 6 seconds” for the Model 3’s 0 to 60 mph, but that’s only for the base version of the car. It will also feature quicker acceleration for the performance versions, which are expected later.

Last edited:
  • Model 75: 4.3 seconds down from 5.5 seconds
  • Model S 75D: 4.2 seconds down from 5.2 seconds
I don't understand these times. You mean the difference between the 75 and the 75D is going to be 0.1 seconds? Who would pay for the D?

People that want AWD and a slightly longer range, same as before. The better 0-60 is just an added benefit.

The bigger Model X, which is only available with dual motor, is also seeing some new performance enhancements:

• Model X 75D: 4.9 seconds down from 6.0 seconds
  • Model X 100D: 4.7 seconds down from 5.2 seconds.
I don't understand this either. You mean the difference between the 75D and the 100D is 0.2 seconds? Who would want to pay the difference between the 75D and the 100D?

People that want the additional range, same as before. Again, the improved 0-60 time is just an added benefit.

No, it's $5k (less for model 3)
I looked at the difference between the 75D and the 100D.

Base 75D = $80,000 4.9 sec 259 Miles
Base 90D= $94,050 4.7 sec 315 Miles

Price difference = $14K.

Why make the 75D and the 90D? $14K for range? I suppose affluent people do buy the Model S so $14K isn't that much more.

I hope the difference between the $35K model 3 and the top of the line is only $14K. $50K is my max.

Price difference = $14K.

Why make the 75D and the 90D? $14K for range? I suppose affluent people do buy the Model S so $14K isn't that much more.

I hope the difference between the $35K model 3 and the top of the line is only $14K. $50K is my max.
The 14k also includes air suspension and the high power charger.

Price difference = $14K.

Why make the 75D and the 90D? $14K for range? I suppose affluent people do buy the Model S so $14K isn't that much more. I hope the difference between the $35K model 3 and the top of the line is only $14K. $50K is my max.

There is no 90D available ... :cool: