Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Hydrogen Range Extender Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I think what @JohnSnowNW is referring to is that the point of hybrid is that you can fall back on a more readily available fuel (petrol/diesel). Where would you take a car that would have hydrogen available but not DC fast charging?

well you can always plug it in with this concept even 220 and you can fillup hydrogen so always a fall back and for me a hydrogen station is better available that the charging points but thats a matter of time becouse our charging point at the company is broken

the point for a range extender is purely you drive on the batterys and when you need the extra range like for a long trip you can turn on the range extender

i am not against one or another technology if you can do it with eletric battery powered you should do it if not hydrogen comes around
we mostly use it in delivery vans and international transport that needs to drive more than 200km range
and they also need fast refueling times
this is just for fun as i said its one of the products we build at our company so just nice that i have it in my own car too :)
and together with this i want to get some better performance out of the car but this is another project

Update:

i got the components for the fuel cell system ready and will start building tonight or tomorrow night and test it in our test bench
for this project i will use a 10KW fuel cell (just proof of concept) so the fuel cell system im going to build will be 10KW later i will use the one i planed on using and that will be a 30KW Sytem

I will post some links to detailed pictures of the proof of concept test system so for who is intrested and to give everyone an idea of how these systems work as a range extender and even as a pure source for power

:);)

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Update: Taking the car appart!

the first thing im trying to do is get acces to the software so i can write my own software in it and maybe add a 2nd app to show stats of the system and also for customizing the vehicle it self for this i need root acces
so i have tried some of the old methods and have done some adjustments of my own now need to write a software that can hack into the car this will take some time in the mean time i will make the fuel cell system ready and fit it in the back of the car (or frunk havent decided yet)

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Have a lovely day!!

im signing off for now and will be thinking about how and where to fit the system :)
if any one knows where i can get the male variant of the cable in picture 2 please let me know other wise i will try and make one my own.

Some pictures of the car while taking it apart to get to the software connection cable:

1. Fase 1 Step 1 Project Tessa
2. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
3. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
4. Fase 1 Step 4 Project Tessa
5. Fase 1 Step 5 Project Tessa
6. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

• Informative
Another Small update:

I have taken the frunk apart so i could take a look at the room that is availble in de front for a fuel cell system i have also found the inverter of the car its under the TESLA ingraved box i think will be looking at this tomorrow

some pictures:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

• Informative
i have also found the inverter of the car its under the TESLA ingraved box i think will be looking at this tomorrow

I don't think you have. The TESLA box that you see in the frunk is a bump on the battery pack that holds a stacked battery module. The invertor, for the motor, is actually part of the drive unit/motor assembly between the rear wheels. The AC charger is under the back-seat.

Reactions: transpondster
I don't think you have. The TESLA box that you see in the frunk is a bump on the battery pack that holds a stacked battery module. The invertor, for the motor, is actually part of the drive unit/motor assembly between the rear wheels. The AC charger is under the back-seat.

okey i was wondering what it was will be looking at the trunk and the box in the front this evening this is one of the reasons i post everything so people can share their experience i will be documenting everything even how you take the car apart and replace parts :)

• Helpful
if any one knows where i can get the male variant of the cable in picture 2 please let me know other wise i will try and make one my own.
2. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
* Depending on Tesla’s level of cooperation to your project, you can order the part from Tesla.
Part# 1013230-00-A.
* Or get it from eBay Tesla Model S/X Service Cable Ethernet-FakraHSD for Toolbox 1.5ft | eBay
51E1524B-E0D2-4176-8768-E028CD3A6BFA.jpeg

* or borrow mine...