Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S P+ vs BMW M3 sedan (and everything else out there)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an epic write-up -- thank you, sir. Its almost like a dream with such a vast landscape: friends, an M3, R8 V10, factories and parts strewn about; some mastermind designer who happens to be there on a weekend to let you in, a Model X prototype and, of course, you and this new P85+ in the middle of it all. It is an intoxicating retelling and one that many of us have experienced in some way, somewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks so much everyone for your kind comments! I'm so happy you enjoyed it!

I was out for Memorial day and we had a "Tesla party". What better way to celebrate the day then to show off this fine piece of American beauty :) I had two kids in the back and 5 large adults and we took it out on a "spin". They were all grinning and told me it was visiting an amusement park ride.

I'll get to work on following up on some questions, like 0-60 time. Some people wanted to know about feedback from the wife. She is enamored by it and obviously wants the X.

No joking, yesterday my 5 year old called the car "papa's spaceship"...

Alex,

I wouldn't worry about it. Elon Musk has every intention to make the car available worldwide. It may take a year or so but it is coming. The good thing is by then the AWD version will probably be available which I am waiting for.

The AWD super P120+ will be amazing:)

Wow...an AWD P120+ I think that would have acceleration more like an F1 car - or the Ferrari World rollercoaster near where I live (see link below). I've been on it 3 times and I can tell you all the screaming is on the initial acceleration from 0 - 150 mph in 4.9 seconds (0-60 in 2.0). Look what it does to the faces of two professional F1 drivers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd9A6X5Fh9I

Reviving an old thread. Great comments in this thread, but its now 18 months old - lots has changed. After a year of lurking, I am still sitting on the fence; haven't ordered yet. This is exactly the kind of info I need to know, and would like to see any recent comments along this vein.

I too am a BMW traditionalist, prefer manual to auto, 3 series to 5 series kind of guy. No offense intended, but a lot of posters here on TMC are drivers with previous cars like Lexus RX, Lexus ES, Camry, Corolla, Leaf, and Prius - none of which handle like a sporty car. I'd like to know from people with recent builds - S85, P85, P85+, and P85D who previously drove a car like the OP. (PS when someone gets their hands on a S85D I'd really like to hear from you)

I personally would prefer NOT to spend $135K to get a car that handles well, but if I have to, I just may ....

Reviving an old thread. Great comments in this thread, but its now 18 months old - lots has changed. After a year of lurking, I am still sitting on the fence; haven't ordered yet. This is exactly the kind of info I need to know, and would like to see any recent comments along this vein.

I too am a BMW traditionalist, prefer manual to auto, 3 series to 5 series kind of guy. No offense intended, but a lot of posters here on TMC are drivers with previous cars like Lexus RX, Lexus ES, Camry, Corolla, Leaf, and Prius - none of which handle like a sporty car. I'd like to know from people with recent builds - S85, P85, P85+, and P85D who previously drove a car like the OP. (PS when someone gets their hands on a S85D I'd really like to hear from you)

I personally would prefer NOT to spend $135K to get a car that handles well, but if I have to, I just may ....

Just as an update to my original post. I still have the M3, it's sitting under a car cover and only used 1 or 2 times a year when I take it to the track. It is definitely more nimble feeling but I can toss my P+ around in the same ways I did with my M3 (eg. certain turns and corners at extremely high speed when nobody is around).

I like how the P+ is a Jeckyll and Hyde car – when I'm tired or with the family it is a grand cruiser. When I'm in the mood to drive aggressive it turns into a beast (but unlike the M3 theres no extra work involved). I've taken it on back road trips before and it is fun to drive on curvy roads as well (although not quite as tight as my lowered M3 obviously).

It's probably the best of both worlds to take out your urge for insane driving on the track where it's safe (in an M3 or other sport ICE until a track ready Tesla is made) while having a blast at all the stop lights and freeway entrances with the P+.

Ames, have you thought of trying to purchase a "previously enjoyed Model S" from someone upgrading to a "D" ? ...

Wow...an AWD P120+ I think that would have acceleration more like an F1 car - or the Ferrari World rollercoaster near where I live (see link below). I've been on it 3 times and I can tell you all the screaming is on the initial acceleration from 0 - 150 mph in 4.9 seconds (0-60 in 2.0). Look what it does to the faces of two professional F1 drivers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd9A6X5Fh9I

I autocross my plain P85 against a newer M3 and CTS-V coupe and usually beat them both if that says anything(CTS-V driver has ~30 years racing xperience). improve the front suspension a little and the P85 would proabably never lose to them in autoX.

also, supposedly they were running some P85Ds at Laguna Seca Refuel and I was only <0.3s behind the fastest S time in the Auto X there

Ames, have you thought of trying to purchase a "previously enjoyed Model S" from someone upgrading to a "D" ? ...

I have, and I haven't ruled it out. I've seen a Model S Sig. in Abu Dhabi cruising past me on the way to work; it was gorgeous. My problem is that I can't get full comp. Insurance for whatever I get...I (currently) have my heart set on a new European spec p85d. however these 4-5 older cars in the uae will start getting 12v battery problems and could be sold cheap..we'll see.