Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Plaid 21" Rear Inner Tire Defect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s because there is no OEM 21” Pirelli tire on the Refresh S. They are all Michelin PS4.
Yes, Pirelli is the OEM tire in the 19" size, of which I would speculate is about 60% of the Plaid tire fleet.

Yet, despite identical levels of power, and likely similar driving modes, it is ONLY the Michelin tires that have tread separation and peculiar wear . . . which very, very strongly suggests that since we have yet to hear of even one Pirelli tire failing in this manner, it is very much a MICHELIN tire failure mode, either or combining, tire design, manufacturing, or some other defect unique to MICHELIN's tires.

Reactions: aerodyne
I see what you are saying but since I adjusted the camber with my 21's, my tires (PS4s) are wearing very well.
It's not only the Michelins that have the issue. I posted a link and photos of a model x plaid with the pirellis on it with the same exact issue and he ignored it because it went against the storyline he wants to push.

Wouldn't waste any time trying to debate this issue with someone who loves to speculate, and won't listen to anyone that has had the problem, and fixed it.

• Disagree
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Since the tires are staggered, you only get half the rated treadwear warranty for most companies, if not all. So if the treadwear is 30k for the PS4s, you get 15k warranty in a staggered config. You basically got what they expected.

That is why I went with a square setup to run with my track pack brakes. I'll run the same tires on all 4 corners and get the full treadwear warranty. Given the price of tires, the wheels could quickly pay for themselves. :cool: Though less likely to be an issue since I fixed the camber, I still greatly enjoy the acceleration.

Reactions: Sam1 and AAKEE
It's not only the Michelins that have the issue. I posted a link and photos of a model x plaid with the pirellis on it with the same exact issue and he ignored it because it went against the storyline he wants to push.

Wouldn't waste any time trying to debate this issue with someone who loves to speculate, and won't listen to anyone that has had the problem, and fixed it.
As has been repeatedly shown in this and other threads, on the Palladium MS the 21" OEM Michelins have a PATTERN of tread delamination on the inner sidewall.

Other brands do not, or if they do, they are edge cases and extremely rare.

Instead, we have page after page of Michelin tires coming apart, on multiple TMC threads, and yet no recall? At least Michelin WILL replace the tires at no cost, if you ask. That's something, but given the potential safety implications of a tire failure at the very high speeds a MS can reach, the tires need to REMOVED and REPLACED with a more robust design. STAT.

Shame on Michelin for not taking action on this; perhaps they're just waiting for fatalities first?

Last edited:
Here we go again, I'm at 29, 328 my rear LH driver side is completely seperated on 8/16/2023. Last replaced at 15,125 on 8/7/2022. That's only 14,203 miles, is that what the warranty is on these tires?
There IS an under the radar campaign to provide you with new tires. Simply file a complaint via Michelin's website and be sure TO KEEP YOUR TIRES for inspection.

Mileage isn't the issue (assuming you still have tread left) as the 21" Michelin OEM tires are failing internally and the tread comes apart as the inner tire structure is compromised (which often leads to air loss prior to catastrophic tire failure, or so everyone at Michelin keeps hoping . . . ).

Also, be sure to file a NHTSA safety complaint here--it's how recalls are generated:

Lastly, I have found that your local Discount Tire MAY be of use in your warranty claim, BUT it tends to vary wildly depending on how engaged and informed your particular store/rep may be: some "get it" and file a warranty/tire defect claim; others just say, "They all do that" and try to sell you new tires and get you out of their hair . . . .

As has been repeatedly shown in this and other threads, on the Palladium MS the 21" OEM Michelins have a PATTERN of tread delamination on the inner sidewall.

Other brands do not, or if they do, they are edge cases and extremely rare.

Instead, we have page after page of Michelin tires coming apart, on multiple TMC threads, and yet no recall? At least Michelin WILL replace the tires at no cost, if you ask. That's something, but given the potential safety implications of a tire failure at the very high speeds a MS can reach, the tires need to REMOVED and REPLACED with a more robust design. STAT.

Shame on Michelin for not taking action on this; perhaps they're just waiting for fatalities first?

Again, show us a single example of one person who has addressed the camber and toe issues, that sees excessive inner tire wear.

Just one example, that's all you have to come up with.

Here we go again, I'm at 29, 328 my rear LH driver side is completely seperated on 8/16/2023. Last replaced at 15,125 on 8/7/2022. That's only 14,203 miles, is that what the warranty is on these tires?
At least get an alignment done to fix your toe out issues, by an actual alignment shop, not a Tesla service center.Would recommend doing a camber kit too though.

Or you can replace the tires and do it again and again and again.

Hi Everyone, I should've posted this a while back but I've been slacking 😀. Anyway, I'm down $2,000 in tire replacements with less than 25,000 in my Tesla Model S Plaid. See below for more details.

I have a Tesla Model S Plaid with rear Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I've had three (3) flat tires beginning April through December 2022.

Tire Size: 295/30ZR21 (102Y)

I've replaced the rear RH passenger side tire twice now. So I'm on my third tire. First tire replaced on 4/5/2022 at 11,215 miles. Then again 8 months later on 12/28/22 at 20,402 miles.
The rear LH driver side was replaced at 15,125 on 8/7/2022.

I am a gentle driver and drive on city streets primarily. I keep my driving settings in Chill mode with comfort suspension. I have maintained proper air pressure as called for at 40 psi. I attached photos of the tire ripped and a screenshot of what the Tesla service center had to say when I brought up my concern.

have you been dealing with the same problem? Are there other tires I can use next time this happens? Is there anything we can do? Have you filed a warranty claim with Michelin?
I wasn’t aware of the problem until my RR tire lost pressure after about 8000 miles. The inside tread was shot with many of the steel wires visible and some broken. My LR tire was good enough to be a spare. I now know to inspect the tires for the part I can’t easily see—and get an alignment.

I don't think it Michelin specific. Lucid is having issues with 21" Pirellis.

Once my rear camber was reduced, and re-aligned (from the factory, though my toe was good), my rear tire wear has been excellent. Just an alignment is likely not going to be enough. The camber has to be addressed especially if running 21" tires.

The car defaults to low at about 50 mph. Being in low just exacerbates the problem. On the positive side, it might have benefits for the front half shaft wear and reduce the risk of the 38-42 mph vibration.

Reactions: Sam1
Since the tires are staggered, you only get half the rated treadwear warranty for most companies, if not all. So if the treadwear is 30k for the PS4s, you get 15k warranty in a staggered config. You basically got what they expected.

That is why I went with a square setup to run with my track pack brakes. I'll run the same tires on all 4 corners and get the full treadwear warranty. Given the price of tires, the wheels could quickly pay for themselves. :cool: Though less likely to be an issue since I fixed the camber, I still greatly enjoy the acceleration.
My 2023 Tesla Model S LR was delivered a couple of weeks ago with 19" rims. The front rims are 19x9.5 with a +40 offset. The rear rims are 19x10.5" with a +45 offset. I was told that running with a square setup the rear rims would rub the brake calipers due to the reduced offset. Are you running 19x9.5 on the rear with +45 offset? What rims did you purchase?

Thanks!

The car defaults to low at about 50 mph. Being in low just exacerbates the problem. On the positive side, it might have benefits for the front half shaft wear and reduce the risk of the 38-42 mph vibration.
I just drove to Galveston for a cruise and my 2023 Model S LR stayed in Medium until I went over 70 mph. I read about the inner wear rear tire issue and when the suspension went to Low, I pressed Medium while driving over 70 mph and it changed back to Medium but as you said, this can wear the half shafts. I am considering buying the N2intive kit to resolve the half shaft wear and rear inner tire issues.

My 2023 Tesla Model S LR was delivered a couple of weeks ago with 19" rims. The front rims are 19x9.5 with a +40 offset. The rear rims are 19x10.5" with a +45 offset. I was told that running with a square setup the rear rims would rub the brake calipers due to the reduced offset. Are you running 19x9.5 on the rear with +45 offset? What rims did you purchase?

Thanks!
I am running 20x10" on 4 corners. They are clearing my Tesla track pack brakes, which are massively bigger than stock. I am running 295/35/20 tires all the way around. No clearance issues. I had Jamie @SignatureSales come up with a spec for my car that would also allow me to rotate my tires front to back. He can hook you up if you want to go this route. It will save you a lot of money on tires.

IMG_2009.jpg

I just drove to Galveston for a cruise and my 2023 Model S LR stayed in Medium until I went over 70 mph. I read about the inner wear rear tire issue and when the suspension went to Low, I pressed Medium while driving over 70 mph and it changed back to Medium but as you said, this can wear the half shafts. I am considering buying the N2intive kit to resolve the half shaft wear and rear inner tire issues.
You can spend the money on the N2itive kit but I don't think it is necessary if trying to address wear on 21" rear tires. The Macboost camber kit will cost you about 1/5th of the N2itive and reduce the camber. Just get an alignment with the car in low and you should be good. That is all it took to stop the crazy wear on my 21's.

The Macsboost kit is basically a nicely machined set of shims. When I bought mine, they were $200 and took about 30 minutes to install. First set of rear tires were gone in 5k miles. Second set at 3k miles look pretty much new. That is when I went to the 20's you see above in conjunction with the Tesla track pack brakes.

I am not bothering with any lowering kit as the ride quality is terrible where I live. The car bottoms out all the time and felt like I was taking a sledgehammer and beating the crap out of the car. That is sure to have an impact on the car over time. Not to mention I barely had the vibration before and after the brakes it is totally gone.

Does it really though? On a staggered setup, I wear down the fronts as fast as the rears go out, because of hard braking.
By having a square setup, I get Michelin's full 30k treadwear warranty. :cool: That is where the savings come in.

At the same time, the extra grip up front has helped cut down on the understeer that the car had when not in track mode. So I find it more fun when not in track mode.