Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Build Quality

Helloguyz

Member
Jun 23, 2021
17
5
33 Lancaster Terrace
Hey Tesla people,
Two question I wanna ask.
1. Is the Tesla build quality really bad, or it's just only a few bad apple?
I saw many videos on Youtube, complaint how bad the build quality is for a brand new Model Y or 3. However, in reverse thinking, it may be the case that only a few people (est: 5%)who is unlucky and got a bad build quality vehicle while the rest of the vehicles are in good condition.(95%). So how many of you guys have experienced a build quality issue for a brand new Tesla?

2. Second question:
Does the LR model 3 really makes that much range different from the standard range plus model 3 in reality? Same question apply to Model Y as well.
The range gap between these two version is about 90 mi, which is a great deal for EVs. However, I've heard the EPA can only apply to about 80% of its real capacity. For example, LR model has 353mi EPA, in real world, it is only capable for 280 mi. Is it ture? Please tell me your real Test driving opinion.
 
  • Like
Reactions: hcdavis3

everydaychris

Member
Feb 10, 2020
679
371
CA
it's mixed to be honest
my friend just got his and I thought after all this time it would be good
However my build back in march was better.
The small issues are all easily fixable within a day and I haven't seen any stuff tied down together with tongue depressors or seats coming off in a long time
 

ps83v18

EVentuallyEVeryV
Mar 12, 2021
186
223
Mississippi
My April build had a couple small issues easily and quickly fixed by Service Center shortly after delivery. Nothing else bothering me.

From what I read, that is true of many ……… and after that first visit to the SC all is good ………

If you are OCD about perfection ……… your experience might be different ……. I am aware of some panel flaws on my car that I never would have noticed if I had not become a member here. I have even discovered some flaws in my 2017 Honda HR-V that I had never noticed before becoming a member here.

My guess is build quality will improve even further as the new gigafactories come up to speed and the poor Freemont guys don’t have to rush the cars out so fast.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dnstommy

dnstommy

Member
Jan 3, 2019
378
844
Vermont
Hey Tesla people,
Two question I wanna ask.
1. Is the Tesla build quality really bad, or it's just only a few bad apple?
I saw many videos on Youtube, complaint how bad the build quality is for a brand new Model Y or 3. However, in reverse thinking, it may be the case that only a few people (est: 5%)who is unlucky and got a bad build quality vehicle while the rest of the vehicles are in good condition.(95%). So how many of you guys have experienced a build quality issue for a brand new Tesla?

2. Second question:
Does the LR model 3 really makes that much range different from the standard range plus model 3 in reality? Same question apply to Model Y as well.
The range gap between these two version is about 90 mi, which is a great deal for EVs. However, I've heard the EPA can only apply to about 80% of its real capacity. For example, LR model has 353mi EPA, in real world, it is only capable for 280 mi. Is it ture? Please tell me your real Test driving opinion.
As for the mileage, it really depends on you. Some people are slow and light footed, and get great mileage. But many get 50% of the estimated range. So if you like to go go go (like me), then the LR will make a pretty good difference.
 

Undisclosed

Member
Jan 30, 2020
382
318
USA
See my other post about my delivery issues. Car just went in for fixes and they are saying about a week to fix. Basically 1+ month probably depending on paint work before I can actually enjoy it. I probably should have rejected and waited for another one.
 

srlawren

Active Member
Aug 3, 2020
1,133
766
Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
My April build had a couple small issues easily and quickly fixed by Service Center shortly after delivery. Nothing else bothering me.

Same here, April build and had a couple of small issues. I will say that recently I have noticed more minor panel alignment issues we never noticed during our pick up, so I don't know if we missed them or the car is "settling" (like a new house does after you move in). Either way, none of them are significant or anything to worry about.
 

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.


SUPPORT TMC
Top