Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin Build 2023 Quality Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

The purpose of this thread is to keep track and see how bad or good the build quality is.

Please provide picture of the bad quality build. If you received your model Y without issues, that is great, please do comment as well.

I just received my VIN 7SAYXXXXXX..PA06, it is a Austin build for MYLR white/white/tow/5 seaters. I saw a few folks on here, are recieving their this week and hope they can comment and provide feedback. I’m super nervous as I’m one of the state that needs to paid first, before they can delivery it to the local Tesla Service center. Otherwise I would have to travel to the next Tesla dealership which is about 3-4hours.

Reactions: Abraham
Hi all,

The purpose of this thread is to keep track and see how bad or good the build quality is.

Please provide picture of the bad quality build. If you received your model Y without issues, that is great, please do comment as well.

I just received my VIN 7SAYXXXXXX..PA06, it is a Austin build for MYLR white/white/tow/5 seaters. I saw a few folks on here, are recieving their this week and hope they can comment and provide feedback. I’m super nervous as I’m one of the state that needs to paid first, before they can delivery it to the local Tesla Service center. Otherwise I would have to travel to the next Tesla dealership which is about 3-4hours.
I just received my Vin as well.......
Austin
MYLR White / Black / 20 induction 5 seater

Reactions: 166266
I placed my order on 1/13 and was matched with a VIN that day. It was an Austin build (date 12/22) that was already on the lot in Kansas-City; VIN 7SAY, PA04. I was finally able to give it a really good cleaning over the weekend and really the only things I can see is there's a slightly larger gap on one side of the frunk compared to the other and the passenger side trim on the non-driver side of the car sticks out a little bit more than on the driver side. Neither of these are really noticeable unless I'm really looking for them so I consider them non-issues. Other than that the rest of the exterior/interior seems as good as can be and I haven't noticed any rattling/weird noises while driving. I tried to capture what I was talking about in pictures:
PXL_20230131_001253175.jpg
PXL_20230131_001735687.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Donnie, I’m in Iowa and same dealer as you, Kansas City. My Model Y VIN starting with PA062 and edd is Feb 9th-17th.
Nice! I'm in Northwest Arkansas so it was about a 3.5 hour drive for me. It was raining and about 34 degrees my entire drive so I didn't have a chance to really look at it when I picked it up. Honestly after a 3.5 hour drive there wasn't any way I wasn't going to accept unless there was just something outright egregious! The Service Center even had mobile chargers in stock so I was able to cancel my order I placed on Tesla for one (seems they're a bit behind on shipping those out) and just pick one up there while I got the car. I showed up around 45 minutes early and they had no problem with me accepting delivery early. Overall a very pleasant experience, I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.

Nice! I'm in Northwest Arkansas so it was about a 3.5 hour drive for me. It was raining and about 34 degrees my entire drive so I didn't have a chance to really look at it when I picked it up. Honestly after a 3.5 hour drive there wasn't any way I wasn't going to accept unless there was just something outright egregious! The Service Center even had mobile chargers in stock so I was able to cancel my order I placed on Tesla for one (seems they're a bit behind on shipping those out) and just pick one up there when I got the car. I showed up around 45 minutes early and they had no problem with me accepting early. Overall a very pleasant experience, I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.
That’s awesome!

I honestly think Tesla did have bad quality issues in the beginning, I htink for the most part, they are solved. But because of its history, thing issue has been heavily scrutinized under the microscope. And us looking at these horror delivery stories only adds to the fuel. I see just as much from other makes like Nissan and Totoya, infotainment blacks out, buttons don't work and they are new cars. but they never talk about them.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
I honestly think Tesla did have bad quality issues in the beginning, I htink for the most part, they are solved. But because of its history, thing issue has been heavily scrutinized under the microscope. And us looking at these horror delivery stories only adds to the fuel. I see just as much from other makes like Nissan and Totoya, infotainment blacks out, buttons don't work and they are new cars. but they never talk about them.
Other and I might be the first batch of White seats coming out of Austin. Reading online and such all the white seats originally coming from Fremont, CA factory. However I did read something that if they upscale the number at Austin Factory they could build any specs and ship it to East/Midwest Coast. In this case, ours is White seats and being shipped out to myself and other that are in Midwest/East Coast. I'm super excited/nervous to see how it turned out with Austin build white seats.

Other and I might be the first batch of White seats coming out of Austin. Reading online and such all the white seats originally coming from Fremont, CA factory. However I did read something that if they upscale the number at Austin Factory they could build any specs and ship it to East/Midwest Coast. In this case, ours is White seats and being shipped out to myself and other that are in Midwest/East Coast. I'm super excited/nervous to see how it turned out with Austin build white seats.
That's me - I'm the other! :)

Reactions: wow1450 and PewPew
My watch is officially over. The vehicle is perfect. Austin - White/White.
PPF on back rockers, Mudflaps, cargo cover.

3 miles on the odometer, with not a scratch to be found.

I surrender the down payment fairly quickly and even “accepted delivery” without giving it a full inspection. Much to the surprise of my SA in Indianapolis. He mentioned that people come in with some crazy requests and basically think it’s a hostage negotiation.

He mentioned we have 100 miles regardless if we are on site or not to report any issues we see.

This is a dream. The only thing that caught me off guard is the “calibration in progress”. So can’t test autopilot or any self driving features.

CE698A99-6094-41FE-8661-9A724DBAA5CB.jpeg

PA063 picked up today in Houston, TX. Went through the checklist and everything is great. The only odd thing I noticed is the panel gap on the rear hatch hinge side. Both sides have the same amount, not sure if its “within spec”.
6962DEAE-5C70-412F-AD6A-4C1CBD755923.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
PA063 picked up today in Houston, TX. Went through the checklist and everything is great. The only odd thing I noticed is the panel gap on the rear hatch hinge side. Both sides have the same amount, not sure if its “within spec”.View attachment 902307
All MY are like that including mine. My Backlite glass was chipped on delivery. Tesla replaced the glass a few days and it's been fine. Besides that my car was great from the factory. 12/22 build Austin PA051XXX is my VIN. It's a white on black 20 inch induction MYLR

Attachments

• PXL_20221231_162711807.jpg
    PXL_20221231_162711807.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 450
My Austin Model Y delivered today.
Gaps look fine

Issues is Trunk edge has scuff marks where paint is scrapped off to the metal and the center trim under the armrest is scratched up.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_0301.jpg
    IMG_0301.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_0299[1].jpg
    IMG_0299[1].jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_0307[1].jpg
    IMG_0307[1].jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 429
My watch is officially over. The vehicle is perfect. Austin - White/White.
PPF on back rockers, Mudflaps, cargo cover.

3 miles on the odometer, with not a scratch to be found.

I surrender the down payment fairly quickly and even “accepted delivery” without giving it a full inspection. Much to the surprise of my SA in Indianapolis. He mentioned that people come in with some crazy requests and basically think it’s a hostage negotiation.

He mentioned we have 100 miles regardless if we are on site or not to report any issues we see.

This is a dream. The only thing that caught me off guard is the “calibration in progress”. So can’t test autopilot or any self driving features.

CE698A99-6094-41FE-8661-9A724DBAA5CB.jpeg
How does the 100 mi thing work if pick-up location is over 100 mi away?