Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a rambling incoherent mess of a post this is. Apart from trying to dismiss me as a "fanboy" what is your actual point?

I never said it was BMW (or any other mfr) v Tesla. I've always maintained its Tesla v ICE.

60% of "EV" market share is a meaningless metric. Very few people go out and specifically want to buy a Tesla (or any other EV). People look at what vehicles are available right now that meet their needs for their budget. Nonetheless, the reason Tesla will maintain a ~60% share of new EVs sold in Australia is *not* because they will outsell other EVs. The reason is that other EVs are not going to be available in any meaningful numbers and most buyers will opt for the comparative ICE or even worse, comparative Hybrid. Additionally, you are severely over estimating the volume of legacy EV imports over the next 12 months.

For example, take the MG ZS EV. There are ~80 available to buy right now across Australia. Price is $45k drive away. Compare that to the exact same car (MG ZS with a petrol engine)... ~2,300 available right now for $25k drive away. Who is going to voluntarily chose a car that's twice as expensive just to have the inconvenience of an EV?

Similar story for the Hyundai Kona. EV variant: ~60 available in Australia @ $60k. Petrol variant: ~650 available @ $30k. Its the exact same car apart from the drive train. Turning to the luxury car makers: BMW ix4 and Merc EQC are $150k with 3 month wait (obviously will turn out much longer) and their respective ICE siblings are priced at half that and available right now.

My point is this: yes the competition for an EV Compact SUV exists on paper in Australia. However the volumes being sold are incredibly small because of supply and demand issues. Tesla on the other hand as enormous demand for Model Y in Australia because it represents outstanding value for money.

Also you do realise that all manufacturers treat Australia like "bottom feeders" as you put it? We have the worst emissions standards so it behoves manufacturers to allocate as many compliance EVs to EU, China, US where the emissions standards are much stricter to avoid penalties. All the displaced ICE can then be routed to the bottom feeders of Australia where there is no incentive to offer EV over ICE.

Are you completely delusional? Who has ever said that the Model 3 is hatchback?
Just to even further drive home this idea of competition to the Model Y...

Hyundai announce their Ioniq 5 starts at $72k before on-road costs. I have Model Y SR at $65k before on road costs. The interesting part is that the initial allocation is 400 Units for all of Australia. Yes that's right 400. Model Y SR will have 4,000 on the road within 12 months without a doubt.

Just to even further drive home this idea of competition to the Model Y...

Hyundai announce their Ioniq 5 starts at $72k before on-road costs. I have Model Y SR at $65k before on road costs. The interesting part is that the initial allocation is 400 Units for all of Australia. Yes that's right 400. Model Y SR will have 4,000 on the road within 12 months without a doubt.
Ioniq 5 looks really cool and if we were in the market for a new BEV we’d at least have a look at it… don’t forget that this car has a larger battery (73 kWh) than Model Y SR (60 kWh) and some would also argue is better equipped/finished internally and with features Tesla does not have (e.g. power tailgate, rear cross-traffic alert, remote parking from the key fob, 360-degree camera) which I think is enough to explain the price premium.

The big problem is the quantity - 400 is an absolute joke, all due to global battery shortages. Tesla has its own battery factory, the rest have to fight it out with third-party suppliers and the result is desultory production numbers and scraps for Australia.

Ioniq 5 looks really cool and if we were in the market for a new BEV we’d at least have a look at it… don’t forget that this car has a larger battery (73 kWh) than Model Y SR (60 kWh) and some would also argue is better equipped/finished internally and with features Tesla does not have (e.g. power tailgate, rear cross-traffic alert, remote parking from the key fob, 360-degree camera) which I think is enough to explain the price premium.

The big problem is the quantity - 400 is an absolute joke, all due to global battery shortages. Tesla has its own battery factory, the rest have to fight it out with third-party suppliers and the result is desultory production numbers and scraps for Australia.

I agree. The base model Ioniq 5 is very generously equipped and beats the Tesla Model Y on the specification list. It has a larger battery, RCTA, 360deg camera, self parking, blind spot monitoring, separate dashboard display, faster charging, higher voltage system, ventilated seats, sliding rear seat, real leather and V2L (car supplies 240v power). I'd say that makes up for the price premium.

But yeah, the initial allocation seems like a joke.

Plenty it misses too including the charging network and navigation.

I'm surprised the base model is so expensive, particularly with the rebates available, yet the top model appears cheap ( admittedly no motor or battery differences l.

Really need to see all three e-gmp cars and the Model Y to do a comparison.

The Ioniq 5 spec sheet lists standard satellite navigation as standard as well as carplay and android auto, which means more navigation options than Tesla.
The lack of charging network is a bummer but it has a larger battery than the Model Y and a higher average charging speed so that might not be a problem. Hyundai quotes a 17 minute charge which is insanely quick, about ten minutes quicker than Tesla.

I agree. The base model Ioniq 5 is very generously equipped and beats the Tesla Model Y on the specification list. It has a larger battery, RCTA, 360deg camera, self parking, blind spot monitoring, separate dashboard display, faster charging, higher voltage system, ventilated seats, sliding rear seat, real leather and V2L (car supplies 240v power). I'd say that makes up for the price premium.

But yeah, the initial allocation seems like a joke.
  • larger battery ... its more inefficient so the bigger battery brings zero practical benefit

• RCTA ... its a gimmick. Reversing camera works just as well.

• 360deg ... BEV coming to Model Y also

• self parking ... also on Model Y (and it actually works)

• blind spot monitoring ... also on Model Y

• seperate IC ... this isn't a benefit IMO. The whole infotainment is far superior on Model Y

• faster charging ... where ?

• higher voltage system ... ok? what benefit does this give you as a consumer?

• ventilated seats ... this would be nice I must admit although Model 3/Y seats are one of the most comfortable in the industry.

• sliding rear seats ... Model Y has fold down seats

• real leather ... this is better in Model Y. Seats are amazing. Vegan leather lasts longer too.

• V2L ... Model Y has this also its just USB-C out
Other benefits of Model Y--
  • can actually be bought
  • HEPA filter
  • AutoPilot / FSD
  • OTA upgrades
  • 0-100 time
  • SuperCharger network
  • Infotainment (games, Netflix etc)

The nice seats on the Ioniq 5 are only on the top end version I think?

The faster charging is great if you can find 300kw+ chargers, I really thing its range and charge speeds are great if you can. Better to have a smaller battery and faster charging if you can get it working etc.

Do people care about “the charging network” anymore? I mean they do in the USA because Tesla has a proprietary plug, but here?

I’ve probably used Superchargers only about half the time when I’ve DCFC’d. The growing network of fast chargers brings tears of joy to my eyes, and they are often in better locations than Superchargers.

I think the only remaining advantage of the Tesla SC network is that they have more stalls (typically) than any of the alternative networks, which I agree does provide more confidence in terms of redundancy and the odds no waiting is required. You can check stall occupancy ahead of time anyway - which you can do with Chargefox and Evie too.

Reactions: mike_j
  • larger battery ... its more inefficient so the bigger battery brings zero practical benefit
  • seperate IC ... this isn't a benefit IMO. The whole infotainment is far superior on Model Y
  • ventilated seats ... this would be nice I must admit although Model 3/Y seats are one of the most comfortable in the industry.
  • real leather ... this is better in Model Y. Seats are amazing. Vegan leather lasts longer too.
Other benefits of Model Y--
  • can actually be bought
  • HEPA filter
  • AutoPilot / FSD
  • OTA upgrades
  • 0-100 time
  • SuperCharger network
  • Infotainment (games, Netflix etc)
In other words, a bunch of features that if Tesla had them, they’d be proof of Tesla’s superiority, but since Tesla doesn’t have them, they are irrelevant? 🤣🤣🤣. I’ve seen that shtick before.

I mean - bigger battery is now a disadvantage because it’s more “inefficient”? I’ve lost count of the number of times that other BEVs have been mercilessly mocked on Tesla forums here and elsewhere for years because they have smaller batteries than Tesla’s which, apparently, proved they were joke cars and golf carts.

Now that other manufacturers are competing on battery size, the bigger batteries we were told were essential to prove your BEV street-cred are now “inefficient”? Yeah, right.

As for “gimmicks” well Fart Mode and Yoke steering wheels would be right up there as gimmicks, correct? I rate the “infotainment“ on Model 3 as a gimmick. I have very occasionally used YouTube or read the newspaper when waiting, but have never played any of the games. Tesla seems to spend a disproportionate amount of R&D time on these gimmicks rather than real features that make substantive, material improvements to the driving experience and fixing things like phantom braking.

”Coming to Model Y” doesn’t count. What was that you said about you can actually buy now?

Faster charging is on 350 kW sites, such as on Chargefox and Evie.

V2L is not USB-C. It supplies up to 3.6 kW @ 230V. That ain’t no USB-C, buddy.

• real leather ... this is better in Model Y. Seats are amazing. Vegan leather lasts longer too
I think you've drunk too much Musk kool-aid.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Model Y and I'm going to buy one. But the Ioniq 5 has much higher feature set for a higher price.

The larger battery costs more money and allows faster charging. Yes, the vehicle might be less efficient, but the boxy shape also gives more rear space.
RTCA is a useful safety feature, but then people used to say that reverse cameras were a gimmick too.
The Model Y can't even autopark without a $10,000 upgrade.
I'd be dubious that the Model Y would ever get a 360 degree view, it doesn't have the camera coverage.
The fast charging is at 350kW sites.
The rear seats on the Ioniq 5 fold flat as well.

And USB-C is in no way equivalent to V2L which supplies 3.6kW at 240 V AC. If you think they are comparable then you really don't know what you're talking about.

EDIT: Have a look here for more details: Hyundai Ioniq 5 full EV walkaround review

Reactions: Vostok