Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think by inefficient he meant higher wh/km, so the larger battery doesn’t apply any additional range, rather masks the higher consumption.
Exactly!

In other words, a bunch of features that if Tesla had them, they’d be proof of Tesla’s superiority, but since Tesla doesn’t have them, they are irrelevant? 🤣🤣🤣. I’ve seen that shtick before.

I mean - bigger battery is now a disadvantage because it’s more “inefficient”? I’ve lost count of the number of times that other BEVs have been mercilessly mocked on Tesla forums here and elsewhere for years because they have smaller batteries than Tesla’s which, apparently, proved they were joke cars and golf carts.

Now that other manufacturers are competing on battery size, the bigger batteries we were told were essential to prove your BEV street-cred are now “inefficient”? Yeah, right.

As for “gimmicks” well Fart Mode and Yoke steering wheels would be right up there as gimmicks, correct? I rate the “infotainment“ on Model 3 as a gimmick. I have very occasionally used YouTube or read the newspaper when waiting, but have never played any of the games. Tesla seems to spend a disproportionate amount of R&D time on these gimmicks rather than real features that make substantive, material improvements to the driving experience and fixing things like phantom braking.

”Coming to Model Y” doesn’t count. What was that you said about you can actually buy now?

Faster charging is on 350 kW sites, such as on Chargefox and Evie.

V2L is not USB-C. It supplies up to 3.6 kW @ 230V. That ain’t no USB-C, buddy.
Lol dude you are salty AF about Model Y being a better value for money product than Ioniq 5. Sure you can point out some on paper feature differences but if you take the experience of a Model Y as a whole and compare it to the experience of an Ioniq 5, the VAST majority of people would prefer the Model Y all things considered.

OTA absolutely counts. The Ioniq 5 doesn't have OTA therefore that horribly slow and bugger interface you get? Yup you're stuck with it.

I'd take supercharging network over 350kW any day. If you are really hanging your hat on 250kW vs 350kW and ignoring the rest of the supercharger network benefit you are just being intellectually dishonest.

If you really want an Ioniq 5 because you don't like Musk or Tesla fanboys or you in general don't like the idea of FSD-- that's totally fine. Don't pretend that the Ioniq 5 is a better vehicle for the majority of people in comparison to a Model Y. It just isn't.

I think you've drunk too much Musk kool-aid.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Model Y and I'm going to buy one. But the Ioniq 5 has much higher feature set for a higher price.
RTCA is a useful safety feature, but then people used to say that reverse cameras were a gimmick too.
The Model Y can't even autopark without a $10,000 upgrade.
I'd be dubious that the Model Y would ever get a 360 degree view, it doesn't have the camera coverage.
The fast charging is at 350kW sites.
The rear seats on the Ioniq 5 fold flat as well.

And USB-C is in no way equivalent to V2L which supplies 3.6kW at 240 V AC. If you think they are comparable then you really don't know what you're talking about.
Re: the $10k FSD option. This does require you to really believe in the promise of FSD being as good as Musk makes it out to be. I personally think it will progress (in Australia at least) to an EXTREMELY capable L2/ADAS system and be well worth the $10k current price. If your Model Y will be able to be used a RoboTaxi and generate income off that $10k investment is another story. Nobody should be relying on that to make their decision however it can be viewed as a free call option on the future (in case it does happen)

USB-C comment was meant tongue in cheek as for the vast majority of use cases the electricity-out of an EV is to charge a phone, laptop, etc. Therefore having 100W USB-C is far more valuable. The Ioniq 5 does not come with the adaptor to output 240v AC by default I believe... I wonder how many people would even buy this?

For the record, Model Y also has the same CCS2 standard and hardware required for bi-directional. Tesla could in theory enable it via OTA if for some reason this became a bigger use case than it currently is.

I personally think it will progress (in Australia at least) to an EXTREMELY capable L2/ADAS system and be well worth the $10k current price.
I hope you are correct, but based on my current experience driving the M3 with FSD I could be forgiven for being unconvinced.

USB-C comment was meant tongue in cheek as for the vast majority of use cases the electricity-out of an EV is to charge a phone, laptop, etc. Therefore having 100W USB-C is far more valuable. The Ioniq 5 does not come with the adaptor to output 240v AC by default I believe... I wonder how many people would even buy this?
They both have USB ports, although I'm not sure what type on the Ioniq 5.
And I believe the V2L is included - it's listed as standard. I think there's even an under seat 240 AC outlet option.

For the record, Model Y also has the same CCS2 standard and hardware required for bi-directional. Tesla could in theory enable it via OTA if for some reason this became a bigger use case than it currently is.
Unfortunately I believe that this is incorrect. Subsequent charging system tear-downs have shown that bi-directional hardware is not present :/

Reactions: Pixor and Vostok
advantage of the Tesla SC network is that they have more stalls (typically) than any of the alternative networks, which I agree does provide more confidence in terms of redundancy and the odds no waiting is required. You can check stall occupancy ahead of time anyway - which you can do with Chargefox and Evie too.
More stalls and higher reliability.
While you can check on the Evie and Chargefox app, it doesn't help you if two people pull in 2min before you and you have a lengthy wait.
One slight advantage of the Tritium machines is you can determine another cars SOC and time spent charging which can let you determine whether or not to wait.

But I think it's the combination of the number of chargers, and the automatic planning in the navigation that still makes Tesla superior.

While other EVs have Nav, the usability isn't there compared to Tesla.

Agree the charging rates of these e-gmp cars is superior, though they still have some software quirks (per Bjorn) in the curve. And the V2L feature is nice.

And despite some of the positive videos, I don't think the interiors are that premium.

For the record, Model Y also has the same CCS2 standard and hardware required for bi-directional.
Correct. Munro later corrected himself that it was one-way only.

Note also that bidirection is NOT in the CCS2 standard, it's only on the future roadmap. Only CHAdeMO has bidirec in the standard.

So its not clear exactly how Hyundai Group has implemented this and whether it might cause issues in the future.

Reactions: Vostok and Chuq
Lol dude you are salty AF about Model Y being a better value for money product than Ioniq 5. Sure you can point out some on paper feature differences but if you take the experience of a Model Y as a whole and compare it to the experience of an Ioniq 5, the VAST majority of people would prefer the Model Y all things considered.

If you really want an Ioniq 5 because you don't like Musk or Tesla fanboys or you in general don't like the idea of FSD-- that's totally fine. Don't pretend that the Ioniq 5 is a better vehicle for the majority of people in comparison to a Model Y. It just isn't.
That’s funny! Being “salty” over something I am not going to buy? Perhaps you missed my earlier post where I stated I’m not in the market for a BEV (I already have two and have never kept a car for less than 16 years). I think that makes me pretty impartial!

I’m not invested in either the Model Y or the Ioniq 5, but overly-rosy comparisons that contain obvious errors invite a response. And where did I “pretend that Ioniq 5 is a better vehicle for the majority of people in comparison to a Model Y”?

Tesla opened orders for the Model Y in the UAE on Monday: Tesla opens Model Y orders in United Arab Emirates (UAE)

So more markets are being added and still a chance for Australian orders to be opened soon. Interestingly the HK LR model shows 542km WLTP, while the UAE LR shows 507km WLTP. Assuming these are the 82kW and 75kW batteries, so hopefully we end up with the larger battery.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vostok and positiv
And where did I “pretend that Ioniq 5 is a better vehicle for the majority of people in comparison to a Model Y”?

Ioniq 5 looks really cool and if we were in the market for a new BEV we’d at least have a look at it… don’t forget that this car has a larger battery (73 kWh) than Model Y SR (60 kWh) and some would also argue is better equipped/finished internally and with features Tesla does not have (e.g. power tailgate, rear cross-traffic alert, remote parking from the key fob, 360-degree camera) which I think is enough to explain the price premium.

I get it. Its not cool to admit that Model Y is by far the better overall product lest you be labelled a rabid fanboy. However I'll back down now and admit that you didn't insinuate that the Ioniq 5 is better for the majority of people.

Tesla opened orders for the Model Y in the UAE on Monday: Tesla opens Model Y orders in United Arab Emirates (UAE)

So more markets are being added and still a chance for Australian orders to be opened soon. Interestingly the HK LR model shows 542km WLTP, while the UAE LR shows 507km WLTP. Assuming these are the 82kW and 75kW batteries, so hopefully we end up with the larger battery.

This is concerning. Firstly LR is the only variant available and its 20% premium over 3 SR+.

If that happens in Oz... goodbye incentives.

Not sure how the moderators work here, but this Ionic business is off-topic to say the least.
Also, if you want to get sucked in with extra cost after purchase, buy anything but a Tesla.
E.g. you can experience being charged for oil for your EV... ridiculous.
Talking about a direct competitor to Model Y is considered on topic in this case, but you’re right it’s a judgement to find the right balance.

Reactions: positiv and Max_G
I have a long history with Tesla. Been driving a Model S for quite a few years until reality caught up, got married, had to make downpayments and got twins. The S became a 3. My wife loved both cars but opted for Model Y when it was time to upgrade her old Mustang.

In the middle of Covid, she got homesick and we left California to be close to her parents here in Australia and try a calmer life style. Picked up my 3 on the second day I arrived. But she is hooked on the Y and won't ever buy a 3 as it doesn't fit the prams and all extras. I fully understand her.

I read through this thread and I see quite a lot of frustration and even some anger. I'm afraid that the lack of information from Tesla is causing this. The fact that people discuss other cars isn't a bad one.

However, now to the not so great news. I have asked my two friends who work with Tesla since many years back and were the ones who insisted I should try the Model S first place what the deal is as Tesla seems completely blatant and ignorant towards Australia. The answer I got was: "No Model Y this year. No model Y until Q4 2022 earliest for Australia. Maybe even later. Australia has been demoted and is not prioritized". I was told it was a strategic business decision to prioritize countries that have a government that is friendly towards electric cars and where there are actual incentives. I'm from California, so I know the effect incentives have. Blame your politicians. They don't seem very environmentally friendly here.

So for you guys who keep hoping for a model Y, sorry for breaking the news. My wife will need an SUV when she gets back to work and I was convinced I could get a Model Y this year, but that is obviously not happening. I had the option of having both my cars shipped in my relocation package, but getting the cars registered and then driving on the wrong side of the street and trying to get a garage ticket whilst stretching across the passanger seat is a no-no. Not worth it.

If you can settle for a Model 3, then do so. I thinkg it is a great car. If you need an SUV within a year, then you might want to give up the dream of driving a Model Y and shop around and get something else. That's my take. Good luck hunting.

Peace out.

I have a long history with Tesla. Been driving a Model S for quite a few years until reality caught up, got married, had to make downpayments and got twins. The S became a 3. My wife loved both cars but opted for Model Y when it was time to upgrade her old Mustang.

In the middle of Covid, she got homesick and we left California to be close to her parents here in Australia and try a calmer life style. Picked up my 3 on the second day I arrived. But she is hooked on the Y and won't ever buy a 3 as it doesn't fit the prams and all extras. I fully understand her.

I read through this thread and I see quite a lot of frustration and even some anger. I'm afraid that the lack of information from Tesla is causing this. The fact that people discuss other cars isn't a bad one.

However, now to the not so great news. I have asked my two friends who work with Tesla since many years back and were the ones who insisted I should try the Model S first place what the deal is as Tesla seems completely blatant and ignorant towards Australia. The answer I got was: "No Model Y this year. No model Y until Q4 2022 earliest for Australia. Maybe even later. Australia has been demoted and is not prioritized". I was told it was a strategic business decision to prioritize countries that have a government that is friendly towards electric cars and where there are actual incentives. I'm from California, so I know the effect incentives have. Blame your politicians. They don't seem very environmentally friendly here.

So for you guys who keep hoping for a model Y, sorry for breaking the news. My wife will need an SUV when she gets back to work and I was convinced I could get a Model Y this year, but that is obviously not happening. I had the option of having both my cars shipped in my relocation package, but getting the cars registered and then driving on the wrong side of the street and trying to get a garage ticket whilst stretching across the passanger seat is a no-no. Not worth it.

If you can settle for a Model 3, then do so. I thinkg it is a great car. If you need an SUV within a year, then you might want to give up the dream of driving a Model Y and shop around and get something else. That's my take. Good luck hunting.

Peace out.
By Q4 2022 there will be *just for Model Y*:
  1. 250k from Fremont
  2. 200k from Texas
  3. 150k from Berlin
  4. 300k from Shanghai
That's an annualised run-rate of almost 1 million Model Ys. Most likely more.

I'm sticking with Q2 2022. The recent numbers out of Shanghai are truly insane. Rumoured production peak of 1,600 Model Ys per day. They can absolutely send 1x RoRo to AU/NZ in Q1 2022 (when domestic sales are typically lowest) and gobble up these markets.

Secondly, the ROVER vehicle type certification does not happen if you are planning on selling the car more than a year later. Typically it happens when the car is months away from sale as there is a risk the vehicle that ends being being mass produced a year later is different to the one certified.

Thirdly, there is a significant incentive it most states right now. $3k cash back in NSW along with a waived stamp duty. This would include the SR only variants which constitute 80% of the sales volume.

I don't doubt your story. I just know that Tesla employees are very much in the dark to specific tactical matter such as launch date in certain countries. Moreover, its a fluid situation and things change week on week depending on the real time demand in each market (as well as other factors)

By Q4 2022 there will be *just for Model Y*:
  1. 250k from Fremont
  2. 200k from Texas
  3. 150k from Berlin
  4. 300k from Shanghai
That's an annualised run-rate of almost 1 million Model Ys. Most likely more.

I'm sticking with Q2 2022. The recent numbers out of Shanghai are truly insane. Rumoured production peak of 1,600 Model Ys per day. They can absolutely send 1x RoRo to AU/NZ in Q1 2022 (when domestic sales are typically lowest) and gobble up these markets.

Secondly, the ROVER vehicle type certification does not happen if you are planning on selling the car more than a year later. Typically it happens when the car is months away from sale as there is a risk the vehicle that ends being being mass produced a year later is different to the one certified.

Thirdly, there is a significant incentive it most states right now. $3k cash back in NSW along with a waived stamp duty. This would include the SR only variants which constitute 80% of the sales volume.

I don't doubt your story. I just know that Tesla employees are very much in the dark to specific tactical matter such as launch date in certain countries. Moreover, its a fluid situation and things change week on week depending on the real time demand in each market (as well as other factors)
I agree.

I have given up hope that it will be this year for deliveries. We may see orders open up but given the demand in other markets and the chip shortages and now the power blackouts in China there is just too many things stopping Australia getting a Y.

I also agree that they really only need to do about 2 days on manufacture to cover the first orders of the Y in Australia and then send them here. It allows them to beat the Ioniq 5 which has orders open on the 12th of October then deliveries in November.

Heres to hoping.

I think the certification indicates the Y should be available within the next 6 months assuming no other supply chain issues - Some potential Y customers have been choosing the Merc EQA and Merc is struggling to keep up with demand. I notice another 9 EQA's were sold in the last day or so. Perhaps too, some Aussies are opting to minimize / cease their consumption of MIC products (or even their beloved model Y ) due to recent political events / trade restrictions as well.

I don’t think lack of incentives makes much difference as demand is high enough even without them. But I do think that we are going to see LR and performance versions well begore the SR+ as it makes sense to saturate the higher margin segment of the market before moving lower. Even if you have to ship overseas

Reactions: moa999