Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will take that registration detail with a pinch of salt as we went through this with the Model 3. Back then, the Model 3 was registered/certified with a tow rating which led us all to assume that Tesla would offer an official tow package. That has never happened.

They also certified the LR RWD Model 3 for Aus and that was never sold here either.

Well if the 30 day gap between the UK and AU configurators opening for Model 3 was repeated, Model Y configurator here would open on 15 November. So not long to wait now 😄

P.S. past performance does not predict future results!

Reactions: Chuq
Well if the 30 day gap between the UK and AU configurators opening for Model 3 was repeated, Model Y configurator here would open on 15 November. So not long to wait now 😄

P.S. past performance does not predict future results!
I wish I could share your optimism...

With Giga Berlin hitting roadblocks, even if orderbook opens, Shanghai's RWD will go to UK for a foreseeable future. Giga Berlin will most likely do nothing until mid December at best. You can thank the otherwise efficient German politicians for that. Apparently the open forum for citizen concerns will take until the 22nd of November since it had to be redone and the analysis and response will take some time (people who claim this is the German ICE industry lobbying delays will if course be called out for having conspiracy theories - but isn't it peculiar, the timing?)

Until final approval comes in (early December unless politicians find another reason to stall) nothing will come out. Xmas is a big thing in Germany. So don't expect people to work that much during holidays. This puts production in second week in January. With the backlog from UK, and rest of EU, nothing will happen Q1 in Australia as Shanghai will send everything west.

China labour is far cheaper... So EU benefitting from Berlin is huge deal. UK not so much. Hence Shanghai RWD will be earmarked. For UK.

That's what I've heard...

I wish I could share your optimism...

With Giga Berlin hitting roadblocks, even if orderbook opens, Shanghai's RWD will go to UK for a foreseeable future. Giga Berlin will most likely do nothing until mid December at best. You can thank the otherwise efficient German politicians for that. Apparently the open forum for citizen concerns will take until the 22nd of November since it had to be redone and the analysis and response will take some time (people who claim this is the German ICE industry lobbying delays will if course be called out for having conspiracy theories - but isn't it peculiar, the timing?)

Until final approval comes in (early December unless politicians find another reason to stall) nothing will come out. Xmas is a big thing in Germany. So don't expect people to work that much during holidays. This puts production in second week in January. With the backlog from UK, and rest of EU, nothing will happen Q1 in Australia as Shanghai will send everything west.

China labour is far cheaper... So EU benefitting from Berlin is huge deal. UK not so much. Hence Shanghai RWD will be earmarked. For UK.

That's what I've heard...
I would only partially agree with some points here.

The Model Y has received vehicle type approval in Australia since September. It has also been added to the green vehicles database this week. Tesla wouldnt sit on this stuff until next year, its leaning closer towards orders opening than not. Deliveries would still be early next year (just like on the UK order page).

Even with chip shortages and power outages, Shanghai is still producing cars at 1000 a day. They could do a full month of RHD production and produce 30,000 Model Ys for the EU (including UK) and take a significant chunk out of the orders place.

Tesla cant sleep on this much longer with other automakers sending CUVs to Australia and other countries fast, they dont want to lose sales.

Reactions: Vostok and adee
I would expect the plan is to use Shanghai for RHD at the start and Berlin to take up some of that production slack as it ramps early next year.

Not worried about the delay in berlin, they are still working on the site and can iron the bugs out of the production line this year, we were never going to see actual customer cars out of it in 2021 (well at least delivered)

I would expect the plan is to use Shanghai for RHD at the start and Berlin to take up some of that production slack as it ramps early next year.

Not worried about the delay in berlin, they are still working on the site and can iron the bugs out of the production line this year, we were never going to see actual customer cars out of it in 2021 (well at least delivered)
Agree.

I still feel that UK deliveries will be coming out of Berlin as the order page says "Early 2022" and they will continue to focus Shanghai on the rest of EU and HK but thats pure speculation. I also want this so it allows a better chance of Australian orders opening. Im okay with the same "Early 2022" delivery, i just want to put the order down.