Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the current price rises in other countries vs Aus could have little differennces.

Aus price raise should also consider State's incentives.

if they miss the state incentives, they are going to loose some sales.
Model Y is about 11-15% more expensive then Model 3 in the Asian markets where its available (SR nomenclature has been dropped but its the same thing)

In NSW the Incentive is for an EV with a drive away price of < $68,750.

Even if the SR is launched in Australia initially it will be well over $68,750 drive away. Most likely around $72k - $75k.

Moreover it's limited to the first 25,000 vehicles. Tesla may opt to simply keep the Model 3 as the affordable model and anyone else wanting a Model Y will need to buy the LR which is more gross margin for Tesla. The only issue there is the supply of NCMA 2170 cells which are used in the Model Y LR. The Model Y SR uses CATL LFP. It's possible that the supply of the LFP packs are far more plentiful but contrasted with other parts shortages, it probably behoves Tesla to make a smaller number of high margin vehicles than have lower end car missing parts.

In NSW the Incentive is for an EV with a drive away price of < $68,750.

Even if the SR is launched in Australia initially it will be well over $68,750 drive away. Most likely around $72k - $75k.

Moreover it's limited to the first 25,000 vehicles. Tesla may opt to simply keep the Model 3 as the affordable model and anyone else wanting a Model Y will need to buy the LR which is more gross margin for Tesla

Counterpoint: NSW isn't the only state in Australia :p

• Funny
Reactions: RareEarth
This isn't correct - "dutiable value of less than $68,750."

You are right...

The dutiable value of a vehicle is the total amount paid (including GST) for the vehicle, which includes delivery costs, accessories and options added to the vehicle (e.g. towbar, special wheels, paint protection etc) and any other charges or fees levied by the dealer on the purchaser.

Still that means a Model 3 would have a dutiable value of $62,625--
Base: $60,900
Delivery: $1,375
Order fee: $350

Total: $62625

If we assume an 10% increase for Model Y
Base: $66,990
Delivery: $1,375
Order fee: $350

Total: $68,715

That's very close but might be exactly what Tesla will target.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Unless there is facility to adjust annually for inflation?

Note that the rebate of $3000 for the first 25,000 full EVs sold in NSW is different to the stamp duty exemption.

I could not find any regulation covering the rebate. There must be one somewhere, so I’ll keep looking. That would indicate whether there is any annual indexation, or whether it is tied to whatever the Commonwealth sets as the LCT threshold, or it is fixed.

Regarding stamp duty, according to Sec. 270D of the NSW Duties Act 1997 the duty exemption for “certain zero and low emissions vehicles” applies if “the vehicle has a dutiable value of not more than $78,000”. There is no reference to indexation of this value - it appears to be fixed in stone. And obviously it is different to the rebate threshold - it is roughly in line with the LCT threshold for fuel efficient vehicles.

Note that this clause applies only until the Minister decrees that 30% of all new vehicle sales in NSW are battery electric. Once that happens, all zero emissions vehicles (including HFCEVs, if there are any 😄) will not be dutiable in NSW, regardless of their value. This could happen as early as 2025 on current trends. Such vehicles will, however, be subject to the Road Usage Charge.

Is there a usual day or time when they open a model for orders? Like a monday at 7am, or 12:01 AM or Midday or similar? Just wondering. I have asked to "Stay Updated" on the AU Model Y page but have very little confidence it will tell me ahead of time or even at the time that orders are open.
cheers

Is there a usual day or time when they open a model for orders? Like a monday at 7am, or 12:01 AM or Midday or similar? Just wondering. I have asked to "Stay Updated" on the AU Model Y page but have very little confidence it will tell me ahead of time or even at the time that orders are open.
cheers
That stay updated will let you know after you've already seen a dozen being driven around on aus roads..