Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s the wheels….
I agree the 21" looks very nice. However, I could get a death stare from missus if it rides as bad as I think.
Interestingly enough, UK market seems to dislike the harsh ride more than US. I chalked it off as road quality difference - but then again our country road might be more similar to UK than US. Saw someone said it's the worst ride he ever had.

Reactions: Leeroy
Not sure the suspension is the same on the 2 sets of cars? Not heard the US model Y is that bad and EU's are all ex China but on what 20s?

They dont have the perf in Eu yet either.

I think the ride is harsher than the 3 because it has to cope with up to 7 people and towing more weight etc.

I'm not sure I see the point of the perf Y, may as well just get the LR with boost
To be fair I haven't test driven a perf, but I test drove an LR M3 last week, and I don't understand why you'd need even to pay for "boost". It's already faster off the line than 99% of the other cars out there if you want to have a bit of fun at the lights. But that's just me, I'm not a "car guy", so I'm probably not the target market.

The other benefit of the perpetual waiting game is the incremental improvements. For example, we'll most likely get the MCU3 AMD chipset (which results in much faster interactions on the main touch screen) and the lithium ion 12v battery system. Other improvements likely before the Model Y ships to au: better headlights, double glazed front and rear windows (anything else?)

Reactions: positiv
Not sure if that is coming to the LFP models because they use a third party battery. That might end up being just a performance and long range feature.
In the fullness of time, all packs will be 4680 structural but for now this is very much only happening in the Model Y 2.0 starting in Berlin and Texas factories.

Elon has said that they’ll look at “redoing” Fremont with Y 2.0 lines but this I suspect will only happen once Texas has basically fully ramped. I’d suspect there are huge COGS efficiencies in Texas/Berlin and they’ll want to capture it Shanghai eventually also.

This all just a long way of saying that we won’t be getting structural pack in A/NZ unless we get our cars from Berlin (highly unlikely)

Reactions: moa999
Only time will tell what cars use what packs. And remember the refresh S/X are still using 1865s.
And Tesla still had to use the 2170s somewhere.

From battery day over 12mths ago now the 3650s were aimed at the premium vehicles that needed higher density including Semi and Roadster.

We could easily see 3650s in Performance 3/Y, 2170s in LR and LFP in the RWD versions.

In density per space, the 3650s are only a slight improvement.

Reactions: Hairyman
4680 batteries most likely would NOT impact the final car specs for end user much anyway, unless they release a more expensive version with longer range. Charging curve still limited by existing older supercharger capability. CoG and stiffer body noticeable if you are racing it. Biggest benefit would be to Tesla internally. Not worth waiting for.

Reactions: FlyingReindeer
Citation needed please.
I haven't seen anything to suggest that Tesla will be using 4680 with LFP.
I think it was mentioned at battery day that this was the long term plan.

LFP in a 4680 form factor would have comparable pack level kWh/kg and kWh/L as NCA in 2170 but be 20% as expensive. You could make standard range model 3/Y using the same factory cell to body process as the LR/p but with substantially less cost. Or what’s more likely is you can make the 2023 $25k gen4 vehicle.

Only time will tell what cars use what packs. And remember the refresh S/X are still using 1865s.
And Tesla still had to use the 2170s somewhere.

From battery day over 12mths ago now the 3650s were aimed at the premium vehicles that needed higher density including Semi and Roadster.

We could easily see 3650s in Performance 3/Y, 2170s in LR and LFP in the RWD versions.

In density per space, the 3650s are only a slight improvement.
Is 3650 just a typo or an entirely new form factor I’m missing?

I think they will most likely launch with LR and Performance first so that is definitely good for you

I actually think that EU will soak up all LR/P production out of China as that region needs the bigger battery packs (cold weather). Here in Australia, we also have incentives for $67.5k and under. It would be something like 80% model y SR orders I suspect.