Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect to find out about the Model Y via TMC or social media less than an hour after it goes live. I then expect to get an email about it from Tesla about a month later.

Just as expected, The Model 3 RWD "news" just came in an email, weeks after it happened! Also includes info about superchargers including the "new" one in Devonport, which opened in May. :p

1639524987314.png

Given Tesla doesn't pay for marketing, it shouldn't be a surprise that the corporate communications is underfunded. I wouldn't be surprised if there's someone in Tesla Australia doing these emails in addition to their day job.
It's not surprising, but it is quite unsettling that a company the size of Tesla would be incapable of sending contemporaneous emails. It makes one concerned about their internal processes.

Reactions: Nathanwhalan
Given Tesla doesn't pay for marketing, it shouldn't be a surprise that the corporate communications is underfunded. I wouldn't be surprised if there's someone in Tesla Australia doing these emails in addition to their day job.

Tesla completely disbanded their corporate affairs and public relations department last year. There’s now no-one for the media to talk to in Tesla, short of Tweeting Elon. And no one within Tesla to manage their external-facing communications. Elon is the sole conduit in and out of Tesla. Utterly ridiculous and utterly shambolic.

It’s this kind of decision making and behaviour that says to me the Tesla Board should move Elon aside to be chief evangelist or whatever, and hire a proper CEO that doesn’t have ridiculous brain explosions and carry on like a man-child.

Tesla completely disbanded their corporate affairs and public relations department last year. There’s now no-one for the media to talk to in Tesla, short of Tweeting Elon. And no one within Tesla to manage their external-facing communications. Elon is the sole conduit in and out of Tesla. Utterly ridiculous and utterly shambolic.

It’s this kind of decision making and behaviour that says to me the Tesla Board should move Elon aside to be chief evangelist or whatever, and hire a proper CEO that doesn’t have ridiculous brain explosions and carry on like a man-child.
Good. I'm glad Tesla is misunderstood by most. Ultimately its the ones who hate Tesla and read biased media to re-affirm their beliefs that go and do stupid stuff like shorting the shares. This allows people like me to keep my average buy price low as I buy monthly fixed amounts to DCA my acquisition. TSLAQ are the ones who pay for lack of PR department.

Tesla doesn't need money from the public markets (i.e. secondary offering) to fund its growth. It's now able to completely finance itself through operations which basically means the share price could by cut by 90% and they wouldn't be at any real risk of bankruptcy. If for whatever reason a piece of FUD makes it through that demolishes their share price (and Tesla could have otherwise mitigated via PR team) I'd be absolutely delighted. It would be the gift of a lifetime to buy back in at 2019 prices.

Your line of thinking is that a CEO of a trillion dollar company should behave in a certain way and the corporate structure of a large enterprise must conform to certain standards. There is no intrinsic benefit to this way of thinking to either Tesla mission statement, shareholders or the employees. Who it does benefit are the existing institutions like mainstream media, hedge funds, politicians, legacy auto corporations etc which I don't particularly care to support.

Your line of thinking is that a CEO of a trillion dollar company should behave in a certain way and the corporate structure of a large enterprise must conform to certain standards.

Correct, because I believe professionalism and functional and accountable chains of responsibility in all aspects of a company’s operations are important.

Correct, because I believe professionalism and functional and accountable chains of responsibility in all aspects of a company’s operations are important.

I can respect that and I see where you are coming from. My issue is that many enterprises focus on the appearance of proper governance, professionalism and chains of accountability/responsibility when it fact they are deeply and systemically broken. VW and their diesel gate emissions come to mind. This is the most egregious and audacious fraud in modern times, yet their CEO (at the time) was a "professional" by corporate standards. VW also have a very well funded PR department along with huge marketing and advertising departments. What good did any of things do for the employees, shareholders or customers of VW? Nothing. In fact it was severely detrimental that the focus was on the appearance of "clean diesel" as opposed to the fundamental truth. Not only that, because of their advertising budgets there was zero incentive for any journalists to look into VW with a critical lens despite what an enormously important public good this would have achieved.

I can respect that and I see where you are coming from. My issue is that many enterprises focus on the appearance of proper governance, professionalism and chains of accountability/responsibility when it fact they are deeply and systemically broken. VW and their diesel gate emissions come to mind. This is the most egregious and audacious fraud in modern times, yet their CEO (at the time) was a "professional" by corporate standards. VW also have a very well funded PR department along with huge marketing and advertising departments. What good did any of things do for the employees, shareholders or customers of VW? Nothing. In fact it was severely detrimental that the focus was on the appearance of "clean diesel" as opposed to the fundamental truth. Not only that, because of their advertising budgets there was zero incentive for any journalists to look into VW with a critical lens despite what an enormously important public good this would have achieved.
I will say that a PR department is less relevant in a social media world, where their voice is just one of millions, and even a press release to mainstream media is seen by very few. Very hard to shift public sentiment, when there are already millions of Tesla evangelists and detractors with more followers than a Tesla PR Twitter account might have.

Reactions: brewster