Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y-LR in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did initially but changed back to the base LR spec. If the delivery time falls after 1st July I’ll probably add back the wheels and interior options
Almost all Model Y LR cars arriving during the first two to three months may be base options. Any changes made around the 1st of July will take us back to a very long queue - just a theory and concern. Otherwise, I have the same idea as yours.
I want to change the exterior colour more than anything else. Amazed third-party options are available to change seat colours and dash panels for around the same price as what Tesla is charging.

Hi Tesla Gurus,

I am still holding off on a Y LR and I need your help checking my assumptions.

The Y LR range is published as 533km….but you should only change the battery to 90% so that gives an adjusted range of 480km….if I intend to use on highway driving (110km/h) I should knock it down a further 20% so the useable real world range comes down to 384km

If I do the same assumptions with a Y SR the 455km WLTP range doesn’t take the 10% hit because the battery can be charged to 100%. But it will take a 20% because of highway driving so it comes down to 364km.

Are these assumptions correct? It is really a 20% hit for highway driving?

you should only change the battery to 90% so that gives an adjusted range of 480km
There's no problem charging to 100%, so long as you don't do it every day and don't let the car sit around fully charged.

If you need to travel more than 450km a day every day then this car is not for you. But if you (like the vast majority of Aussies) travel an average of 40km a day but take the occasional long trip then it's fine.

It is really a 20% hit for highway driving?

There's much more to it than just "highway driving"

You should have no problem achieving the car's advertised range at 100km/h, assuming flat roads, no headwind etc.

You'll use around 10% more at 110km/h and 10% less at 90km/h

Y SR the 455km WLTP range doesn’t take the 10% hit because the battery can be charged to 100%
Not wanting to get into a discussion about this in this thread as there are already many others - but it sounds like the recommendation to charge to 100% is only to ensure the BMS can calibrate and show an accurate range, and not because their chemistry allows for damage-free 100% charging. LFP is not a new technology- only new to vehicles

Mostly SR owners defending their purchase over the LR but really the range difference is so minimal IMO it shouldn’t be a deciding factor (rather AWD and performance)

If you need to travel more than 450km a day every day then this car is not for you. But if you (like the vast majority of Aussies) travel an average of 40km a day but take the occasional long trip then it's fine.

I will need ot make a once weekly round trip of 390km and would prefer to do it without stopping to charge (other than before and after at home).
The majority of the trip is flat or roling hills and at highway speeds (110km) and may also be at night time (not sure if headlight use effects range too much)

I will need ot make a once weekly round trip of 390km and would prefer to do it without stopping to charge (other than before and after at home).
The majority of the trip is flat or roling hills and at highway speeds (110km) and may also be at night time (not sure if headlight use effects range too much)
In my experience with the 3LR from 2021 you would be able to charge to 100% and do that round trip without a charge, but you wouldn't want to put Sentry Mode on while parked all day at your destination. Not sure how different the YLR will be.

Headlight use does not measurably affect range, but what does is rolling resistance (keep your tires inflated to the recommended 42psi cold) and weather - headwinds, increased AC use in very cold or very hot weather and wet roads will be noticeable. If you always use the in-car navigation it will warn you if you need to slow down a bit in these situations to avoid running out of power.

If I do the same assumptions with a Y SR the 455km WLTP range doesn’t take the 10% hit because the battery can be charged to 100%. But it will take a 20% because of highway driving so it comes down to 364km.
I'll give you a real world data point, currently on a road trip with our MY RWD - two adults, two kids and a cabin bag each. Our first leg (home to Jurien Bay), 218km, 94km/h average speed, departure SoC 100%, arrival 29%. Extrapolating from that we can expect a little over 300km before being completely flat.

If you're sitting on 110km/h you won't be getting 364km.

• Informative
Reactions: Quickst
That sounds something like return from Melbourne to Shepparton that ABRP estimates a MYLR would use 46% on the outbound journey and a similar amount on the way back. So theoretically, given ideal conditions it could be done, but would severely restrict using the car at the destination and why would you do that to yourself unless you particularly enjoy range anxiety. Then imagine a cold rainy day in June in 5 years time when your car has lost some of its range and you can see that it’s pushing the cars range to its limits.
However if you spend 20 minutes at the Shepparton Supercharger, where you would arrive with about 54% or slightly less if you need to do errand’s around Shepparton you would have a much less stressful return trip.
So I suggest you put your specific locations into ABRP and look for charging locations along the route with PlugShare, or else you’ll end up like my neighbour, who bought a BYD Atto 3 and tried to go from the NSW Southern Highlands to the NSW Central coast and back again. He did it the first time in high summer but it was colder and raining the second time and he had to get the NRMA to tow him the last 20 Kms.

I don’t know much about Atto3 but I’ve found Tesla’s in car SoC guesstimate is pretty accurate and so far never heard of anyone following what Tesla told to do resulting in someone stuck somewhere without juice.

I hope your neighbor learned from their mistake and not dismissing EV completely @meloccom

To be honest, unless money is a issue, I can't see any logical reason not to get a LR or Performance. But yeah the charging to 100% for the RWD is mainly because the Battery Management System can't recognise where full charge is with the lead chemistry. There is still degredation.
Also remember because the LR/Performance have better battery density they can fast charge at a quicker rate than the RWD models.

I don’t know much about Atto3 but I’ve found Tesla’s in car SoC guesstimate is pretty accurate and so far never heard of anyone following what Tesla told to do resulting in someone stuck somewhere without juice.

I hope your neighbor learned from their mistake and not dismissing EV completely @meloccom
They have just come back from a holiday around Orange, so I think so.

Reactions: Hairyman
384km means 0-100% consumption is 195wh/km.

Just to add another data point:
I have done all highway trips of 110km/h and my MYP consumption is nowhere near 195wh/km (ie: it is lower).
Just checked my teslafi, my latest NSW-ACT trip was 170wh/km
Does this mean a range of 441kms based on battery capacity of 75kwh for MYP? If this is the case, then MYLR will have a range higher than 455km when the battery is new. Does this sound about right?

You'll use around 10% more at 110km/h and 10% less at 90km/h
Probably about right. Wh/km does not scale with speed in the same way as watts.

If a car is decently aerodynamic, it will use less Wh/km on the freeway at a constant 100-110 (cruise control on) than in the stop-start suburbs. That has certainly been my experience (Model S). Not sure about the Y though, have not heard anything yet.