Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y-LR in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TBH, NCA is happy to be charged to 100% as long as you're going to be using it. What it doesn't like, which is to be left at close to 100% and just sitting there in the garage.

As a side note, when you charge to close to 100% you'll use your brake pads as the charge level is too high to do regen.
I'd be cautious about this. There is plenty of cycle life data on lithium cells. While it's true that calendar aging can be minimised by not leaving batteries at a high SoC for long, cycle life is still adversely impacted by charging to a high capacity (termination voltage). While the occasional 100% won't make a difference and will keep the BMS up to date, I'd be wary about doing it on the regular.

While it's true that calendar aging can be minimised by not leaving batteries at a high SoC for long
Yes, in my case, it is my intention to charge with solar panels on the weekends. I would not want to charge to 100% with solar till about 4pm and then leave it until Monday am when the battery is LFP or any Li-Ion battery for that matter

Assuming that the LR battery will be a NCA/NMC then I get relatively more accurate calculated range at lower SoC than LFP and I don't need to charge to as high a SoC to get the same range as LFP

Has anyone who had a previous order (RWD/P) and changed via phone/email to LR - have it showing online/in the app yet?
Answering my own question for anyone - Yes. Mine now shows the new LR Car in my account/reservation number.

image.png

That's optimistic IMO.
I'm just trying to be the voice of reason. There's so much pessimism on this forum!

I can understand why Tesla disabled radar on existing vehicles, because the output wasn't directly displayed to the user and the radar data was conflicting with the camera data.

It's a different story for the ultrasonics, at least for the information that's displayed to us.
Of course they'll transition to using cameras only for the self parking etc at some point.

Not necessarily.
Range reduces a bit in winter and sentry mode imposes a battery drain. The car (for me) would be parked at work up to 12hrs at a time
It also depends what starting max state of charge you use. I'm still not convinced that 100% LFP state of charge is good for the battery.
My experience of a Sydney winter is obviously different to yours.

I'm happy for us to have different views with regards to LFP.

I'm just trying to be the voice of reason. There's so much pessimism on this forum!

I can understand why Tesla disabled radar on existing vehicles, because the output wasn't directly displayed to the user and the radar data was conflicting with the camera data.

It's a different story for the ultrasonics, at least for the information that's displayed to us.
Of course they'll transition to using cameras only for the self parking etc at some point.
Strictly being the voice of reason, I can't understand why they disabled the radar whilst is was still a backwards step in TACC's functionality.

The reason that I recall that the Tesla engineer gave on the YouTube interview was that it was because the radar unit introduced another point of complexity for supply chain and build, and they wanted to simplify and use the cameras and their existing customer base to generate the data to make Tesla vision a better solution. Tesla vision may very well be a better solution one day, however what you're interpreting as pessimism is actually frustration from owners who bought a finished product that had radar already installed and had no say when it's TACC capability was reduced.

EDIT - found the video

Last edited:

And I'm not trying to be the voice of pessimism, but they have turned it off in the US and UK before they have had it working properly with Tesla Vision. Based on that, I reckon they could remove them at any time.

Last edited: