Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y - no parcel shelf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I’m glad that I found some like-minded folk on this thread. :)

When I posted about the parcel shelf in the Tesla Y interior/exterior pictures thread over on the Model Y forum, most of the responses were: never use it, won’t use it, CUVs don’t usually have them and even “having a cargo shelf means you have something to hide and are more likely to have the car broken in to.”

Definitely seems to be a cultural/societal difference between UK and USA.

Over here I guess we’re at a critical mass where almost everyone has the parcel shelf in place and we’ve learned not to keep valuables in the car. So most of the time a thief would only end up with some reusable carrier bags (and a charging cable) :p

Reactions: drewpost
almost everyone has the parcel shelf in place and we’ve learned not to keep valuables in the car

There has been a spate of break ins, perhaps only in USA?, where the rear quarter-light was broken, reach in and flick the rear seat lever and fold forward, to see if anything worthwhile nicking in the boot before actually drawing attention to smashing the rear windows in ... absence of parcel shelf fixes that :)

I expect Tesla will fit parcel shelf, or offer it as option, in territories where that is more normal.

Now I think about it we have a retractable thingie on our People Carrier, and we took it out (it bisects the cargo area when seats are folded down) and have never bothered to put it back in ...

Reactions: KennethS
Well, I’m glad that I found some like-minded folk on this thread. :)

When I posted about the parcel shelf in the Tesla Y interior/exterior pictures thread over on the Model Y forum, most of the responses were: never use it, won’t use it, CUVs don’t usually have them and even “having a cargo shelf means you have something to hide and are more likely to have the car broken in to.”

Definitely seems to be a cultural/societal difference between UK and USA.

Over here I guess we’re at a critical mass where almost everyone has the parcel shelf in place and we’ve learned not to keep valuables in the car. So most of the time a thief would only end up with some reusable carrier bags (and a charging cable) :p
There are definitely some big cultural differences car wise. I read a bunch of comments on a story about how the LR version of the ID3 will be a 4 seater due to weight.
The US comments were along the lines of
  • "you mean some are 5 seaters!" a car that tiny shouldn't be 5 seater in the first place. You'd only have it as a second car anyway
  • AND meh its only missing a middle seat belt, who cares it's not like anyone really gets in trouble for putting too many people in a car
The Europeans response was:
  • seriously! total deal breaker
:)

If the parcel shelf is optional, having it is stating you have something to hide under it.
True, but in my experience, a thief is usually not going to break windows and risk getting caught etc if he has no visual confirmation that there is in fact anything of value to be stolen.
As opposed to there being no parcel shelf and my work equipment sitting out in the open for all to see so then there is a 100% confirmation that there is in fact something of value to be stolen and possibly worth breaking windows for etc.

Reactions: squarepeg77
There has been a spate of break ins, perhaps only in USA?, where the rear quarter-light was broken, reach in and flick the rear seat lever and fold forward, to see if anything worthwhile nicking in the boot before actually drawing attention to smashing the rear windows in ... absence of parcel shelf fixes that :)

I expect Tesla will fit parcel shelf, or offer it as option, in territories where that is more normal.

Now I think about it we have a retractable thingie on our People Carrier, and we took it out (it bisects the cargo area when seats are folded down) and have never bothered to put it back in ...
We removed the parcel shelf on our diesel burner for much the same reason. I prefer that potential thieves can see there is nothing in the back and move on rather than take a gamble for an unseen cargo area under a closed shelf cover. When we do have stuff in the back we do our best to get home and unpacked rather than parking up and providing theft opportunity. I appreciate that many people for work or otherwise have no option. For that reason my preference would be for the Model Y to have a shelf at least as an option, although I would not use it.

Reactions: ringi
I make parcel shelves for Chevy Volts (VoltShelf) and have been doing so for 6 years now. I can make them for the Model Y, but need a car to make a template. If anyone has a Model Y in the Western, NY area that would be willing to let me measure it, I can get going on this right away. Send me a message if you are interested.

Steve

Quick work around is to cover your in hatch items with a throw blanket.

Have had many vehicles with parcel shelves. Seems like it always gets in the way when loading luggage etc. Always take mine out and store in garage until time to sell that vehicle.

As others have said, Tesla does provide kind of a traditional parcel shelf with it's covered basement. Those panels cut down on sound levels and provide an effective cover for smaller items you might wish to store out of site. I store lots of litte items there permenantly, and like that I still have a nice flat floor for day to day use.

Few will actually put parcels on their parcel shelf due to the danger of them flinging forward in a collision.

If you are interested in a cargo cover check out teslastuff.weebly.com. These folks earned a great reputation making these for the Chevrolet Volt.
This is a UK forum and we won't have the car here for at least another year probably so probably not too many takers right now I imagine but good to know for the future. We Brits certainly like a good parcel shelf