Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Standard Range AWD to be priced at $59,990 USD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make. Very few people are going to cross shop a model y and a Prius. Just different classes of car altogether. Most people are going to be looking at other luxury CUVs (I.e BMW X3, audi q4, etc), and some of those people will decide it makes more sense to get the MY.
Exactly. When I was originally looking at the Y, the criteria for both the wife and I, was performance #1, and utility #2, with fuel economy being a nice perk. The prius was never on the radar. This means the top contenders were the Acura MDX Sport Hybrid and BMW X5.

I'm sick off all these Hyundai and KIA dealerships here in S. Cal wanting to charge me anywhere from $4,000 - $15,000 worth of add-ons and markups for the Ioniq 5 and EV6. I already have a MY LR ordered, with EDD of between Oct. - Jan 2023. If once the hype dies down a bit for the Ioniq 5 and the EV6, and I can find one at MSRP before my LR MY arrives, I'll release the VIN, and get one of the Korean cars instead.
I with you on this one. I also see huge mark ups in KY/ OH area. But unfortunately that is supply/demand of the current market. I am curious to see how it plays out on the long run for KIA/Hyundai dealers.
I heard some rumors that Ford is thinking to adapt Tesla's approach of online only sales for EVs and cut out dealer-middle man.
Max

I heard some rumors that Ford is thinking to adapt Tesla's approach of online only sales for EVs and cut out dealer-middle man.
Max
There isn't a single auto manufacturer that prefers to have Dealers instead of selling the cars themselves. Dealers exist because laws keep them there, and any attempts to change such laws get heavily contested by Dealer lobbyists, who are very wealthy and have lots of $$$ to throw into the courts. There's still quite a few states that ban Tesla direct sales (One of which even has a Tesla factory in it!)

Good on Ford for trying, but I somehow don't think that will happen, at least not without a fight.

Dealers seem to be a leftover of the long-ago era where cars were much less reliable and the public needed to be certain of good local warranty support from the carmaker, which was the best justification for the absurd monopoly system. In return for accepting absolutely all requests for local service, dealers were granted exclusive rights to sales for the area.

The world moved on, but the dealership system remains as a rather large and inefficient middleman in the sales process with minimal value add on service which can much more easily be found these days. You need it far less often, and transport (hello Uber) to or from wherever you need to go to get the car serviced is trivial.

My plan to sell tesla until 23 Ioniq5 seems like better idea
I with you on this one. I also see huge mark ups in KY/ OH area. But unfortunately that is supply/demand of the current market. I am curious to see how it plays out on the long run for KIA/Hyundai dealers.
Max
Must be Cali thing I5 at msrp isn't that hard in NJ. Anyways I'd wait 23 I5 to come out, it's supposed to have digital rearview mirror to compensate for lack of rear wiper.

Just spit balling here...
Being able to buy a Tesla at $52k vs another EV at $52k would get my attention...No? Given Tesla's reputation?

ALSO...
The Austin MY is a new model config, not another version of the MYLR.
New Model = New Customers

🙄
Your points are spot on, in a situation where they can make more than they sell. But in the current market, they sell as many as they make at the higher price.

Lowering the price doesn't increase the supply, so they can't increase their customer base that way. Unless you are proposing they lose the higher paying customers in favor of lower paying customers.

Your points are spot on, in a situation where they can make more than they sell. But in the current market, they sell as many as they make at the higher price.
In fairness, we don't actually know with the MYSR just yet. I think it's likely that they sell out, but at only a $3k difference, I can see a large chunk opting for the MYLR. If that's the case, perhaps a price drop to move the Austin units would be warranted.

Reactions: house9
In fairness, we don't actually know with the MYSR just yet. I think it's likely that they sell out, but at only a $3k difference, I can see a large chunk opting for the MYLR. If that's the case, perhaps a price drop to move the Austin units would be warranted.
True. I don't think that they are going to make a lot of them at first, so I'd be surprised if they don't sell out immediately. If not to general users, then to all of the people who have been crazy to get a Texas car, or one with the structural battery (even if it isn't an improvement for them). But if they don't, sure. Lower the price.

Just spit balling here...
Being able to buy a Tesla at $52k vs another EV at $52k would get my attention...No? Given Tesla's reputation?

ALSO...
The Austin MY is a new model config, not another version of the MYLR.
New Model = New Customers

🙄

Sigh. Read the part where it's explained that Tesla ALREADY sells every single car they can make, and has a waiting list that runs into mid 2023.

Lowering the price will not sell a single additional car.

California resident here (Bay Area). My residential rate is 0.13/kWh. No difference between peak and off peak.

Yeah - rates vary widely depending on provider, plan and region.

But even at $0.35/KHW that's functionally equal to around $2 for gas. Can you imagine anyone complaining and warning that "gas is at $2 and it's gonna go up" against today's market?

Yeah - rates vary widely depending on provider, plan and region.

But even at $0.35/KHW that's functionally equal to around $2 for gas. Can you imagine anyone complaining and warning that "gas is at $2 and it's gonna go up" against today's market?
$90 to fill up my Outback yesterday, for about 400 miles range. It costs me about $13 for the same range charging at home. And I get to charge for free at work, so even better.

California resident here (Bay Area). My residential rate is 0.13/kWh. No difference between peak and off peak.

How u get 0.13? what part of Bay Area u from if u don’t mind sharing.

I’m from south SF and pge charging me 0.38 ish off peak and peak. I’m have CARE discount so they’re charging me 0.27 ish for off peak and peak.

Even for their EV rate off peak, it’s around 0.24. Peak is 0.58!

I also have solar now so those are the rate if my panel don’t produce enough for my daily use.

Last edited:

I guarantee you that the MYSR will sell out and sell out quite quickly. There are a lot of people out there who have been dreaming to own a Tesla, and the $3,000 lower price point for a much coveted model (a dual-motor MY) will be very attractive to them, regardless of the 50 miles less range and the slower performance.

Personally, I'm keeping my MY LR order. The EDD is between Oct. - Jan. 2023, and a lot can happen with pricing increases and updated manufacturing and tooling by then (mine will be coming from Fremont to the West Coat).

How u get 0.13? what part of Bay Area u from if u don’t mind sharing.

I’m from south SF and pge charging me 0.38 ish off peak and peak. I’m have CARE discount so they’re charging me 0.27 ish for off peak and peak.

Even for their EV rate off peak, it’s around 0.24. Peak is 0.58!

I also have solar now so those are the rate if my panel don’t produce enough for my daily use.
I was going to say the same thing. One of my good friends lives in SJ, and he got bumped up a tier when he got a Tesla, so his rates look like yours... He ended up getting solar as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.