Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model S for a little over 2 weeks now. I've had several moments that I expected since a lot of my friends knew I was getting the car and I knew they would want rides and ask lots of questions. But I have had 2 unexpected moments.

The first occurred yesterday. I have to have the car inspected by the Sheriff's office in order to get it titled in Kentucky. I pull up to the office, hand the deputy my paperwork, and he asked me for the odometer reading. It took me a minute to find the odometer, but when I found it, I told him it was 297 miles. He mumbled something about it being an easy inspection since below a certain mileage, they don't even have to inspect the car (but still require $5 to fill out paperwork). When he brings the paperwork back, he says "this car ain't got no motor?!?". Apparently, where it says the type of engine on the MCO, it says that it is a 0 cylinder-Electric. I say "it has 2 motors, but no engine." Him: "So it's all electric?!?" I proceed to have the standard, 10-minute Tesla talk about range, charging, etc. I knew that would happen a lot, but I wasn't expecting it at the Sheriff's inspection office.

The second was this afternoon. I walk out of the golf course to leave. When I approach my car, I see a Mazda SUV slow-rolling past my car, with the driver and passenger's heads staring at my car. I walk up and get in, and before I can close the door, the Mazda is in reverse, heading back my way. They roll down their window, and so do I. The driver asks "is it as awesome as they say it is?" Me: "Yep....sure is!" Him: "We're saving up...hopefully order one next year." Me: "you'll love it."

"No, more." :)
Dear fellow forum members who get annoyed with grammar sticklers: here is a priceless example of what makes a single comma important! :p

Great job mastering that comma, too. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy when other people get it right. Should I see a doctor? :)

Attending my daughter's master's degree graduation and then at an after party being personally thanked by her college instructor for doing my part to promote electric vehicles and make the environment clean. I grinned for the rest of the week!
… sounds like your daughter did nothing but talk about her dad's Tesla throughout her degree! ;)

Sunday, a senior woman (well over 70) at church asked me how I liked my car and then went on to tell me that the recent crashes are due to drivers not mis-using autopilot. She then went on to tell me that there are so many more accidents in other vehicles and how people are making much ado about nothing. She finished her talk reminding me to keep my hands on the steering wheel.

Made me laugh.

It is great when even non-Tesla owners "get it". Too bad some of the "car experts" writing articles and reviews don't.

This one's a little creepy...

At the Glen Allen Supercharger just getting 100 miles of range to complete some baseball travel with the kids and a woman in an ICE with her passenger and dog pulled up in the spaces opposite the SC spaces and just stared at me for the 15 minutes or so I used the SC. Didn't come up to me, didn't take pictures, didn't say a word.

I learned that day not all Tesla moments are fun.

At the Glen Allen Supercharger just getting 100 miles of range to complete some baseball travel with the kids and a woman in an ICE with her passenger and dog pulled up in the spaces opposite the SC spaces and just stared at me for the 15 minutes or so I used the SC. Didn't come up to me, didn't take pictures, didn't say a word.

Weird, will be on the lookout for wackos on my first juice up at that charger at the end of the month.

We drove back to Colorado from Reno over the weekend. Yesterday, while in Utah, a large black diesel pick-up truck drove next to us for several seconds and then floored it, trying to make as much noise as possible. DÆrik Solutions asked me "Did he just..." and I replied, "Yeah, I think so." Obviously, he was trying to "roll coal" and show us how much respect he has for Teslas. I don't get it.

I did happen to read this article when I got home so I guess rolling coal is popular with many in Utah and elsewhere. :(

a large black diesel pick-up truck drove next to us for several seconds and then floored it, trying to make as much noise as possible
I'm fairly sure I experienced virtually the same thing a couple of weeks ago -- definitely a pickup, don't recall the color or whether it was diesel.

I did happen to read this article when I got home so I guess rolling coal is popular with many in Utah and elsewhere
My understanding is that, contrary to most people's intuition, the more visible most pollution is the less its environmental impact, because in order to be visible it must consist of relatively large particles that will quickly settle out of the atmosphere. It is the invisible gasses that are really bad. Still dirty, of course, but not as bad as spewing invisible nitrogen oxides.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: techmaven
Last Tuesday we pulled into the Woodburn SC south of Portland and there was a Jeep Icing one of the stalls. As I backed in I explained Icing to my SO and what a jerk the guy was. When I got out I saw he was sleeping in there, I thought of confronting him, but decided it wasn't the mole hill I wanted to die on. He was in a shady spot, but there was a spot just as shady one over from the SC.

We got some take out and he left before we got back.

I had a more positive Tesla Moment on Sunday. We were on SR-14 in Washington. I had just got on at 164th when a black P85 zipped in front of me and proceeded into the exit only lane for the next exit (192nd). As I passed him he was looking intently at my car and I waved. I have a refresh and he may have been checking out the differences.

Speaking of Summon.

Forgot to mention, as I was demoing the car to everybody that approached me at the wiffle ball tourney, I just had to show off summon. Now with a curious group around me, I said, watch this. Pulled out my iPhone, fired-up the app, and had the car come to me.

JAWS. HIT. THE. GROUND.

Not sure what impressed them more, the launch or the fact I can control its movement WITH MY PHONE.

Would have used the fob, but that doesn't seem to work for me anymore.

Nicely done, sir!

Reactions: Ormond
Having lost my red tabby of 16 years back in September, I have to admit that this caused some dust to get in my eye. The kitty is gorgeous! Time to go hug my other cat and dog.

Sorry to hear of your loss, @Cyclone. :-( :-( :-( My red tabby is 14 years old, and an indoor/outdoor cat to boot, so I'm resigned to the inevitable happening sooner rather than later. :-( That said, he seems happily re-planted here in Merry land, where he has been introducing himself to the neighbors, trying to stroll into their houses, and having to be forcibly separated from new avian and rodent family playmates. Not shabby for a 14-year old feline.

Yes, cats. But you know that since we know each other personally. People on here didn't know I have a 10-month old now too. And what was the younger cat just had her 4th birthday. The pup turns 8 in November. A full house here.

You know what you're missing? An 11-year old boy! PM me your address and I'll send you one tomorrow. No worries about being overdue on the loan, just send him back when you've got him through college.

Alan

To be a little on topic, here are my three little ones from before:
6LuViBO.jpg

Here is the new girl:
View attachment 187342
And here is my old girl's last ride. I had this image up in the Model S' web browser for a long time. Her kidneys shut down and this was saying goodbye in front of the vet's office:
91vG2rw.jpg

Now I've got some dust in my eye!