Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I read it backwards.. but seriously, most people have a sixth sense for dangerous situations. This was one and I was outnumbered and immobile unless I just ran.
I can see this being abused ... but maybe attempting to put the vehicle in drive twice while charging should trigger an option on the touchscreen to auto-eject the charge cable (clearly labelled for emergencies only). This would require new car-side hardware but could potentially be a life-saver.

I can see this being abused ... but maybe attempting to put the vehicle in drive twice while charging should trigger an option on the touchscreen to auto-eject the charge cable (clearly labelled for emergencies only). This would require new car-side hardware but could potentially be a life-saver.

But if it's anything like the warp core ejection system in Star Trek, it will always be offline...

Very similar event happened to me at the Auburn Mall, MA supercharger. At night. Everything closed down. Nobody anywhere else around. Very creepy to begin with. I'm sitting there charging, and a small white beater of a car, like a Toyota Tercel type car drove up perpendicular and about 10-15 feet in front of me, and the driver (female) and passenger (male) just stood there, looking at me and the car and the SCs. For between 5 and 10 minutes (probably seemed longer than it was). I wasn't sure what they were doing, but it sure felt like they were considering robbing me. But I was sitting there like a dead duck because I was plugged in and couldn't just drive away. I also didn't want to get out of my car. They eventually drove away, but for a few minutes there, it was dicey.

@Hank,

I hear you! You definitely should listen to your instincts!

That said, at that exact same mall, **but during the day** albeit with nobody around, I have had little beat-up cars come and circle around the area, clearly interested in what was going on. In some cases, with scary-looking individuals inside. I've gotten out of my car, approached them, and discovered that the people inside (at least in those cases) were very interested in the Tesla, in its electric nature, in the Superchargers. I suppose if the conversation had begun with and focused on how much the cars cost, and what did I do to be able to afford one, and where was I going and did anyone expect me... but all turned out well.

Again... this was **during the day**. I think I would have been much more cautious at night, as you were.

Alan

We are new owners of a Model S 70D. Red, S70D. We were warned by our sales rep that there would be days like this..... (LOL)

So, a month ago my wife and I took our new baby on a quick trip to Sheboygan, Wisconsin SuperCharger. It is in the parking lot of a Festival Foods supermarket store. We parked, started charging when wife decides to go into the store to get something. I'm sitting in the drivers seat waiting when after about 10 minutes, all of a sudden, there is this traffic jam right in front of me. One car after another is taking turns to take a picture of the car. (Can't imagine taking a picture of moi) Each car rolls down their window, starts pointing fingers and then out comes the camera. Happened three times in a row. No one got out to talk, no one said anything - just ogle the car. I'm just there smiling and even tried to wave but they were just interested in taking a picture. For someone who just got their car, it was a priceless moment.

I was on my way home from work yesterday and a neighbor stopped me so that they could check out my Model S. After I took them for a test drive my neighbors wife called her dad to come over and check it out since he is a car guy and had just ordered a 2016 Corvette.

I explained everything about the car and after a test drive he said " I think I ordered the wrong car " We laughed about it and he asked if he could use my referral code for a Tesla. They were completely in awe of everything about the car and I was happy to show it to them. They also told me that their monthly fuel bill is over $ 750 between 2 SUV's !!!!

Last edited:
I was on my way home from work yesterday and a neighbor stopped me so that they could check out my Model S. After I took them for a test drive my neighbors wife called her dad to come over and check it out since he is a car guy and had just ordered a 2016 Corvette.

I explained everything about the car and after a test drive he said " I think I ordered the wrong car " We laughed about it and he asked if he could use my referral code for a Tesla. They were completely in awe of everything about the car and I was happy to show it to them. They also told me that their monthly fuel bill is over $ 750 between 2 SUV's !!!!
Just the other day I was following what I understand is the new limited edition 'Vette with demo plates... it turned back into the dealership as I went on by... and part of me was sorely tempted to follow it in and accost the prospective buyer... "If you want a performance car, you're looking at the wrong powertrain"....!!!

• Funny
Reactions: Fresco
Ok I don't even own a Tesla yet, but I got a Tesla moment while renting a Model S from Turo, surprisingly in Cali in Oceanside (near San Diego). As this was Cali I didn't expect anything since they are so common, but as I was driving by the ocean with windows down and the sunroof open (to take in the breeze and stuff), someone actually shouted to me "Nice Tesla!". I said "Thanks!", as I was shocked and it didn't cross my mind to say it was just a rental until just after.

There was also two guys who noticed the car parked when I went to the Palomar Observatory and started to talk about it. I was going to join in but then they started to talk about the autopilot crashes and how Tesla was "stupid" for only using one sensor

Outside of that I was able to drive some friends around in it (we had all come in from out of town for San Diego Comic-Con), and they were all impressed and amazed by the car and its performance and such.

Have a Model 3 on reservation, but if I ever win the lottery or something like that I'm getting a S!

Ok I don't even own a Tesla yet, but I got a Tesla moment while renting a Model S from Turo, surprisingly in Cali in Oceanside (near San Diego). As this was Cali I didn't expect anything since they are so common, but as I was driving by the ocean with windows down and the sunroof open (to take in the breeze and stuff), someone actually shouted to me "Nice Tesla!". I said "Thanks!", as I was shocked and it didn't cross my mind to say it was just a rental until just after.

There was also two guys who noticed the car parked when I went to the Palomar Observatory and started to talk about it. I was going to join in but then they started to talk about the autopilot crashes and how Tesla was "stupid" for only using one sensor

Outside of that I was able to drive some friends around in it (we had all come in from out of town for San Diego Comic-Con), and they were all impressed and amazed by the car and its performance and such.

Have a Model 3 on reservation, but if I ever win the lottery or something like that I'm getting a S!

That very well could have been me. Just came back from 2 weeks in the SD area and yelled 'Nice Tesla!' to someone. My wife called me an idiot because they are all over out there. :)

I was in a rental Ford Transit for two weeks. Can't wait to get back to my car Monday.

Reactions: EfficientWatts