Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we took our car in for it's first inspection everyone at the station came over to look. The owner knew a lot about the car and I let him talk to the others while they sat in the car. The secretary finally got out her cell phone and took a picture of the touch screen.
We departed with all in very good humor.

When we took our car in for it's first inspection everyone at the station came over to look. The owner knew a lot about the car and I let him talk to the others while they sat in the car. The secretary finally got out her cell phone and took a picture of the touch screen.
We departed with all in very good humor.

Obviously not a Tesla annual service. What sort of station are you talking about?

NC does as well. The one thing Tesla couldn't prepare for me was my state inspection. I will have to take my car into a local shop for the state safety inspection. At least I won't have to do the NC emissions inspection!

At my safety inspection, the guy asked "is this a Maserati?" I said no, it was a Tesla. He said "huh, glad I asked."

I will give you one guess what make of car is listed on the inspection report.

I set him straight by saying I was filling it up with electricity.
Of course, you already know this, but the car has the name number of electrons before & after charging. Just different chemical states in the battery. The chemical energy stored does add about 3.4 micrograms of additional mass, but, when compared with a car that has a curb mass of 2.1 trillion micrograms...

In Germany, we need to bring our cars to an extensive inspection every two years. The very first inspection is after three years. When I sold my Lexus CT200h that was replaced by the Tesla, I brought the Lexus to the inspector. He refused to inspect it because of all that "hybrid electric crap in there". He sent me to Lexus to have it inspected. Apart from the fact that he can;t refuse any inspections (it's a government based inspection), how will he react when I show up with an "electric crap" Tesla?

It will be very interesting to see what those public stations will do when all the Teslas will have their third year inspection. They will either have to retrofit all inspection station, or change the laws.

Would love to see your setup when you get a chance!

Here's all I got:

IMG_3018.JPG

Curbside charging station? What, did you tap into the street lighting power? :)

More like an anti-Tesla moment:

Took my daughter (9) on our first supercharger road trip from barren Central VA through I-95 corridor to PA/NJ and had a little contest to see who could spot more Teslas in the wild. She saw a car-carrier-full, but I spotted a Fisker Karma somewhere near MD, who was unfortunately already on the right turn lane before I could catch up (traffic, not for lack of effort). As I was lost in ogling the Fisker from the far left lane, a massive Chevy Silverado sped in between us on my right and cut recklessly through traffic.

It was an obnoxious move, but pretty funny in retrospect.

There is a recurring pattern that I experience often: I happen to be one of the first cars at a red light in a multi-lane street, when the light turns green, I accelerate "normally" (for a Tesla that is), meaning that I do not floor it, but I still accelerate significantly faster than the ICE cars around, which happens to tickle the driver in the next lane the wrong way for leaving them so far behind at the light. After that they often do crazy dangerous moves (cutting off people in other lanes, overtaking using the hard-shoulder etc.) in an effort to catch up and overtake me when I reach denser traffic ahead.

I am not sure what they are trying to prove with that, but it is funny.

...when the light turns green, I accelerate "normally" (for a Tesla that is), meaning that I do not floor it, but I still accelerate significantly faster than the ICE cars around
I always feel like a jet pilot at a balloon festival. :D
"HEY Tesla driving person! I just want you to know that my car is not slow, I just don't have good reaction time!"

There is a recurring pattern that I experience often: I happen to be one of the first cars at a red light in a multi-lane street, when the light turns green, I accelerate "normally" (for a Tesla that is), meaning that I do not floor it, but I still accelerate significantly faster than the ICE cars around, which happens to tickle the driver in the next lane the wrong way for leaving them so far behind at the light. After that they often do crazy dangerous moves (cutting off people in other lanes, overtaking using the hard-shoulder etc.) in an effort to catch up and overtake me when I reach denser traffic ahead.

I can so relate to this. Having an average so far at 219 Wh/km (352 Wh/mile), I am not amongst the most sporty drivers - but it's hard NOT to use the FastForward option when you want to move into a position that's open. Very often it happened that you see the driver of some sports-ICE car that "lost face" having to make their way up through traffic on the expressway, only to pass you to "get even". And I let them.

A lot of people confuse acceleration with speed. They think you drive oh-so-fast because you are well ahead of them. Just because you accelerated so effortlessly doesn't mean you were speeding.

A few days ago, going exactly at the speed limit on the expressway, this sporty-looking ICE came up on my side, and stayed close for a minute or so. Probably checking me out, not sure if he wanted to provoke a reaction, but eventually it became too much for me. I can resist anything but temptation, and I floored it for a few seconds, leaving him hundreds of meters behind. Let the cruise control bleed me back to the original speed. In this case, this driver didn't even attempt to make it back up, but kept his distance behind me. Me, doing the speed limit well ... apart from a few seconds of dashing.

Yesterday I was sitting at a red light in the left lane during a medium traffic time. I could see the next light loosening up so I had a few hundred feet of road to work with. Of course, when the light turns I press the pedal a bit (not to the floor, but a healthy amount) and then hit the brakes casually to leave a nice 2 car length gap before tightening up the position.

As I come to a stop, I notice the truck from the right lane at the previous light catch up to me and slow down to a stop. I'm ready to hear the lecture about showing off or whatever, but instead he says, "It's like you read my mind. That's exactly what I wanted to see."

I laughed, and replied "If only she could do something about traffic, she'd be perfect." He smiled, agreed, and pulled off to a gas station a few feet ahead.

I have no idea if he knows what a P85D is, but he definitely knew what a Tesla vehicle is. No need for TV commercials. Just more youtube of stuff like Insane Mode. The word gets out.

A few days ago, going exactly at the speed limit on the expressway, this sporty-looking ICE came up on my side, and stayed close for a minute or so. Probably checking me out, not sure if he wanted to provoke a reaction, but eventually it became too much for me. I can resist anything but temptation, and I floored it for a few seconds, leaving him hundreds of meters behind. Let the cruise control bleed me back to the original speed. In this case, this driver didn't even attempt to make it back up, but kept his distance behind me. Me, doing the speed limit well ... apart from a few seconds of dashing.

I had something kind of like this happen the other day.

I was on the highway, where the speed limit is 65. I had TACC set to 70. It's a four lane highway with two lanes in each direction. I try to stay in the right lane as much as I can, and only move into the left lane to pass. I was in the left lane, passing someone, when a car came up behind me and got right on my bumper. There was another car in the right lane that I was travelling faster than, so I stayed in the left lane, planning on passing that car too. It was probably going to take 20-30 seconds for me to overtake that car, and then a few seconds longer before I was in front of it enough to pull over. Well, the guy behind me stayed right on my bumper the entire time. By the time I was just about to pass the slower car on my right, I realized that all of us had gained on an even slower car, also in the right lane, and that if I pulled over at this point my TACC would certainly slow me down quite a bit. I had had enough of the guy riding my bumper so I decided to exceed my TACC setting, and pass the other slower car, and then pull over. And since I was going to exceed my TACC setting anyway, I figured I may as well do it dramatically. The guy who had been riding my bumper had plenty of room in very short order. When he did pass me a while later (since he clearly wanted to go faster than 70, and I did not) he wouldn't look at me!

Curbside charging station? What, did you tap into the street lighting power? :)

This is a set up of my own making. I live in a townhouse with no garage so I had an electrician run a 240v 50 amp line to curbside. I made the charging station pictured in the photos out of a bollard cover.

As the stand itself has to be portable (I don't leave it outside when the car is not plugged in), I decided to use Hubbell Pin and sleeve plugs and receptacles to attach the stand. These are rated for 600 volts and 150 amps, more than enough capacity for current and future needs. The receptacle is wired to underground conduit leads from the breaker. It has a waterproof flip top so no water gets into the connections. The connections from the receptacle to the conduit leads run through waterproofed sleeves. Tesla's UMC is mounted in the bollard.

DSC_3100.JPG

DSC_3101.JPG

DSC_3107.JPG

DSC_3095.JPG

DSC_3096.JPG

DSC_3189.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, you already know this, but the car has the name number of electrons before & after charging. Just different chemical states in the battery. The chemical energy stored does add about 3.4 micrograms of additional mass, but, when compared with a car that has a curb mass of 2.1 trillion micrograms...

Of course. I was just pulling his chain.

Last edited: