Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had my MS for a few days and my 3 year old twins are already obsessed. They especially get a kick out of the fact that when I play songs from "The Little Mermaid" that the album pictures pop up on the screen and dash. My wife took them to school this morning in her Acura and texted me this conversation between the three of them:

Immy: I don't see Ariel on the screen
Mommy: Sorry, only Daddy's car does that
Immy: I wish this car could turn into a Tesla
Des: (sighs) Me too

3 year olds!!! So funny....

Okay, reading TMC had suggested that I should be ready for some attention, but I really had no idea.

I picked up the car today. My mother-in-law, not familiar with Tesla, had driven us (service center is in Ohio), and so I put her in the driver's seat for the orientation, as I'd been through one before and knew most of the drill. She was shocked and delighted, and so we offered her a ride as my husband drove her car to our next stop to shop together.

As we were making the relatively short drive, I heard a honk from my left. I looked over to see a Chrysler driver giving me an enthusiastic thumbs up. I returned it with a grin.

We parked at the store and got out, and a man approached us. "Is that as good as it's supposed to be?" he asked.

"I've owned it for 15 minutes and I love it," I answered.

We talked about five minutes about Tesla, and then we went to meet my husband. When finished, we dropped my MIL and her items off at her car, and then my husband and I started back to the Tesla, where a guy was taking pictures of it. He was a bit embarrassed to be caught, I think, but we told him it was fine! and we talked for a bit.

Then we got in the car to drive home, and a guy in a truck was plainly ogling and grinning.

All of this before we even got back in our home state. My advice to single people who are seeking conversation-starters is to borrow a Tesla. And leave extra time to get in and out during errands.

Okay, reading TMC had suggested that I should be ready for some attention, but I really had no idea.

I picked up the car today. My mother-in-law, not familiar with Tesla, had driven us (service center is in Ohio), and so I put her in the driver's seat for the orientation, as I'd been through one before and knew most of the drill. She was shocked and delighted, and so we offered her a ride as my husband drove her car to our next stop to shop together.

As we were making the relatively short drive, I heard a honk from my left. I looked over to see a Chrysler driver giving me an enthusiastic thumbs up. I returned it with a grin.

We parked at the store and got out, and a man approached us. "Is that as good as it's supposed to be?" he asked.

"I've owned it for 15 minutes and I love it," I answered.

We talked about five minutes about Tesla, and then we went to meet my husband. When finished, we dropped my MIL and her items off at her car, and then my husband and I started back to the Tesla, where a guy was taking pictures of it. He was a bit embarrassed to be caught, I think, but we told him it was fine! and we talked for a bit.

Then we got in the car to drive home, and a guy in a truck was plainly ogling and grinning.

All of this before we even got back in our home state. My advice to single people who are seeking conversation-starters is to borrow a Tesla. And leave extra time to get in and out during errands.
Haha! Great experience. A puppy never hurts either!:wink:

Yep, Cincy! Our IN service center is coming, they promise....

This is Tesla we're talking about. That could mean years. Detroit Service has been "coming soon" for about 2 years if not longer. Though, granted, that's because the law doesn't allow manufacturer-run public service centers. Regardless, Tesla shouldn't make promises that are blocked by something outside their direct control.

I'm used to having Tesla moments: my MC Red P85D is my third Tesla and it still turns heads, particularly since there aren't that many on the road here in Colorado. Yesterday, I was waiting on the sidewalk for my wife to pick me up in the S, so when I saw the familiar red Tesla pull up to the curb in front of me I stepped forward, opened the passenger door and started to get in. A disembodied voice floated up from the driver's seat...a man's voice: "Can I help you?" Confused, I bent down to peer into the cabin and was met by a quizzical look on the face of a perfect stranger.

It wasn't my car. :biggrin:

I explained my mistake, we had a good laugh and I held the door for his wife, who walked up while we were talking. Turns out they're on their third Tesla, too, and awaiting a fourth.

Had a contractor show up to bid on a job, as he's walking in he tells me "even if I don't get the gig, can you show me the car after we're done?"

(Usually I hide the car for fear of price gouging, but from our phone convo I made it clear that I've talked to other contractors, and I'm willing to wait till spring to do the job, unless he gives me an awesome deal now. So I wasn't concerned about him seeing the car)

The same contractor also said one of his friends works (from my impression, high up) in a very big and very popular dealership chain we have here (they own lots of dealerships for many different types of cars). His friend said he sees Teslas approach as the future. No one likes to come to a dealership and haggle, and everyone likes a car to meet their exact needs. From all the negativity I read about dealerships hating the Tesla no haggle / custom order model, this was a pleasant surprise. I'm sure they still hate the direct sales model, though.

This is Tesla we're talking about. That could mean years. Detroit Service has been "coming soon" for about 2 years if not longer. Though, granted, that's because the law doesn't allow manufacturer-run public service centers. Regardless, Tesla shouldn't make promises that are blocked by something outside their direct control.
As I heard it, the Indianapolis lease fell through at the last minute, though I don't remember the reason given. So at least the promise was made when they thought they had a location. The net result though is of course the same.

My wife and I had several Tesla moments the other day. We received a notice from Tesla Montreal that there would be test drives at a hotel near us in Ottawa over the weekend. We decided to go and see what was happening. As we were talking to the sales rep, a man and his wife, who had driven up from London, Ontario for the hockey game asked if they could have a test ride. They were visibly upset when they were told that all available tests drives were committed to other potential customers. We overheard and offered to give them a ride in OUR car. Well they were blown away with not only the car, but the fact that an owner would promote the car and let them ride in their car! He was a former Mazda dealer as well!! A potential future owner!?,

At the same time a couple who had just been married were having their wedding photos taken. They were looking at the car off and on and the groom eventually came and asked if they could have pictures taken of them in our car. The groom explained that their first date had been at a Tesla test drive session and they would really appreciate the opportunity to sit in a Tesla again. We agreed and photos were taken from everywhere even though the sun roof of the bride in her wedding gown and the Groom in his penguin suit!! The bride was over the moon and the groom had a huge grin on his face - I scored one today!!

Tesla Moment helped my Core Values.

I've had my beautiful MS for 5.5 weeks with no unique moments worthy of this thread until yesterday.

So I'm in my once weekly progress meeting with my supervisor, and just as am about to dig into the list of dumps and f-ups that my co-employees have left me, my supervisor asked me if I got my electric car yet and is it really all electric?

Well this derailed my train of thought, and probably prevented me from getting further into trouble for not being a team player and cheerfully accepting the shortcomings of my sucky co-employees.

So I did not give my supervisor the list of lapses (but I'm saving the list, just in case - CYA), returned to work knowing that informing my supervisor would have been useless anyway. So this Tesla Moment may have helped get me out of future pointless meetings, yet another way owning a Tesla has been a life changing experience.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.4 KB · Views: 235
So I have had several entertaining Tesla moments over the past 6 months of ownership, some of which have been detailed in this thread. Had another funny one yesterday. Coming out of my coffee shop at 7AM I intersect with Senior Citizen couple coming in the opposite direction. As I approach the car and activate the door handles the husband notices and starts to make a beeline for me and the car. The conversation went like this:

Nice looking car there!
Thank you!
Is it a Malibu?
No, It's a Tesla!
Who makes that?
Tesla, located in California
Never heard of 'em....sure looks like a Malibu to me!
You'll be hearing about them in the future!
You get good mileage?
The Best!

I think I've been through all of the Tesla stages by now. It was cool when I got attention at first, but now I have the kid in the beater who pulls up his phone and starts recording my car...while driving on the highway. That happened a few days ago - I was only hoping the guy did not rear end me. The sad thing is I saw a kid in an Audi do the same thing some time before him.

I have been reading these posts and they remind me of countless similar situations that I have had with my Vixen 21 TD motor home. Its not a TESLA Model S but, it has been one of the only vehicles I have owned ( and I have owned more than I can count) that has the greatest "cool factor" of them all.

This February I will pull the plug and purchase a CPO Model S and then regardless what I am driving, Model S or the Vixen, I will have either a Model S moment or a Vixen moment.

100_1134.JPG

I've had my beautiful MS for 5.5 weeks with no unique moments worthy of this thread until yesterday.

So I'm in my once weekly progress meeting with my supervisor, and just as am about to dig into the list of dumps and f-ups that my co-employees have left me, my supervisor asked me if I got my electric car yet and is it really all electric?

Well this derailed my train of thought, and probably prevented me from getting further into trouble for not being a team player and cheerfully accepting the shortcomings of my sucky co-employees.

So I did not give my supervisor the list of lapses (but I'm saving the list, just in case - CYA), returned to work knowing that informing my supervisor would have been useless anyway. So this Tesla Moment may have helped get me out of future pointless meetings, yet another way owning a Tesla has been a life changing experience.

Lucy, I think you seriously need to start looking for another job. :)

Love this story - thanks for sharing.

So I have had several entertaining Tesla moments over the past 6 months of ownership, some of which have been detailed in this thread. Had another funny one yesterday. Coming out of my coffee shop at 7AM I intersect with Senior Citizen couple coming in the opposite direction. As I approach the car and activate the door handles the husband notices and starts to make a beeline for me and the car. The conversation went like this:

Nice looking car there!
Thank you!
Is it a Malibu?
No, It's a Tesla!
Who makes that?
Tesla, located in California
Never heard of 'em....sure looks like a Malibu to me!
You'll be hearing about them in the future!
You get good mileage?
The Best!