Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Pollux - so psyched you're in this area - I was very inspired by your perfect Tesla raffle, and would love to know if you and your better half (or better 3rd if your Tesla is now "family") have similar plans to get involved in MD lobbying :)[/QUOTE]

Hi, @CatB! Thanks for the kind words!

Jessica has been invited to sit on a Citizens' Climate Lobby board -- CCL is a national carbon pricing lobbying organization. Jessica is also thinking about how she can be involved in other state-level efforts (she continues to be engaged in MA via Climate XChange); she has been approached by an MD legislator and a CT legislator for thoughts about how to file state-level legislation there, as well as how to get the relevant economic modeling studies done that can be used to support such legislation. Do you have any suggestions?

As for another raffle... well... CXC is looking at doing another one (I'm advising them)... and I may have something a little more spectacular in mind for another, much larger organization... :)

Alan

• Love
Reactions: CatB
I was volunteering at a wiffle ball fundraiser that a friend of mine runs in honor of his deceased son. As the event entered the finals and the competing teams dwindled, we had some time to escape, and I showed him my MS for the first time. I walked him through the features, praised Elon, then finally took him for a quick ride. Launch! Tesla Grins and giggles. We had to get back to the event, and when parking, he said you have to show my daughter. He ran and got her. Launch! Grins. She said it reminded her of the Top Thrill Dragster roller coaster at Cedar Point amusement park. You have to show my boyfriend! She ran and got him. Launch! Grins! You have to show my friends... Before I knew it a line was forming. I was launching and producing grins. A dirty job, but somebody had to do it

I asked them if they wanted to see the engine. One of the guys said, "yes, it must be amazing". I popped the hood. Gasp! Where is it!? Amazement. Disbelief. Wonder.

This is a croud that is not very familiar with Tesla, and only knew EVs to be weird econo-mobiles.

Their eyes were opened that day.

Simple fix, just join the DC Group :)
Why are you a member of the Italy group? :confused:

Hey, @Half! One of these late nights, I'll join the DC group as you say. As for Italy... until recently, my wife and kids and I tried to spend some time in the summer in the Lakes District there, but one of the kid's needs intervened. I had been hoping to find Tesla owners north of Milano to hang out with, but didn't succeed. Maybe when we're over there next summer, it'll be a different story.

Hey... look for some email from me in a moment...

Alan

I love these stories from @joules & @CraZ8 and everyone else who puts people into the car.... minds can be changed, one at a time. If I can, I'll put people behind the wheel and have them take it for a spin. What's insurance for, anyway?! Although depending on the person, I'll also take a photograph of their license. :)

The guy who came out to check for utilities conflicts (digging a trench from the house to the garage to lay a charging circuit), the electricians, the painters, the utilities guys (Pepco?) in a McDonald's parking lot on Wisconsin Avenue... it seems to me that if you look at people as if you are feeling friendly towards them, a lot of people are interested in this cool Tesla electric car...

Alan

Apologies if I'm reposting... memory fading as I age... this was a recent, highly unusual Tesla moment for me...

There was a large, orange cat in the frunk of my '13 P85+...

IMG_1397.jpg

A perfectly good reason, of course: the cat was moving from Massachusetts to Maryland. For most of the journey, the cat lounged in his own dedicated car, a perfectly good '12 Prius v wagon. However, from time to time, his car would rendezvous with my Tesla, for some special, high-quality, alone-time. Note below that the frunk lid appears to be slightly ajar; now you know why.

IMG_1398.jpg

The next picture makes clear what the cat was (hopefully) doing during his very own rest stops while the Tesla charged...

IMG_1402.jpg

Yes, that's right... I believe I've invented the first Tesla feline port-a-potty... I'm honestly not sure whether to be proud or ashamed of what I've done... :)

I used autopark with a perpendicular space yesterday. As the car was lining up, I notice a couple walking down the lane, and since autopark isn't entirely quick, I thought they'd have to wait for me. As I was trying to decide if I should pause the sequence and wave them behind me, I realized that the guy is bug-eyed and pointing out my car to his lady. I gave them a big smile and a two-handed wave as the car was maneuvering into the spot, then two thumbs up after he crossed in front. The guy looked like I had just made his week.

Incidentally, after we came to a stop, we realized we barely had room to open the doors and exit the car. Perpendicular autopark is willing to park in tighter spaces than I would!

Dropping off some stuff at Goodwill on Saturday (paraphrasing):

Guy 1: "Whoa that guy has a trunk in the front!"
Guy 2: "Man, that's one of those electric cars. A Tesla."
1: "What? It's electric?"

I then had them both come over and look. Showed them the frunk, told them the motor is actually in the back, and then blew their mind by opening the hatch. Then the onslaught of usual questions, including whether I had ever "topped it out." I said I hadn't, but it was limited to about 130, had more than 350hp, and could get to 60 in about 5 seconds.

Then Guy 2 went on for nearly a minute about how awesome the car was and how we have to protect the environment, etc. It made both our days.

I thought about Summon, but we managed.

Speaking of Summon.

Forgot to mention, as I was demoing the car to everybody that approached me at the wiffle ball tourney, I just had to show off summon. Now with a curious group around me, I said, watch this. Pulled out my iPhone, fired-up the app, and had the car come to me.

JAWS. HIT. THE. GROUND.

Not sure what impressed them more, the launch or the fact I can control its movement WITH MY PHONE.

Would have used the fob, but that doesn't seem to work for me anymore.

The next picture makes clear what the cat was (hopefully) doing during his very own rest stops while the Tesla charged...

img_1402-jpg.186911

Yes, that's right... I believe I've invented the first Tesla feline port-a-potty... I'm honestly not sure whether to be proud or ashamed of what I've done... :)

Having lost my red tabby of 16 years back in September, I have to admit that this caused some dust to get in my eye. The kitty is gorgeous! Time to go hug my other cat and dog.

Reactions: msnow
We lost our 21 year old cat 2 weeks after getting my Model S in June. It was tough, but we just got a kitten yesterday. It's been a long time since I've had a young cat and this one is like an 8 year old who just ate half a birthday cake. She's super friendly, but when she isn't trying to commune with us she's playing hard, sometimes both at once.

She did get an longer than expected ride in the car on the way home, traffic was bad through Portland. I took advantage of the ability to run the A/C with the car unattended. We stopped at the Woodburn supercharger for an opportunity charge while we grabbed something to go at Panera. My SO was concerned about the cat overheating despite the A/C running full blast. The car was down to 67F by the time we got back and the kitten seemed quite happy with the situation. She seemed quite content with the car, she only made a few mews and mostly slept on the way home.

I like the frunk catbox idea. If I ever need to transport a cat any distance, I'm stealing it.