Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s a quick one from my run to the grocery store today. After I got out of the car at the store I realized that I had pulled in too far and parked way over the line, since the car parked in front of me was way back in his spot. I was afraid that if he pulled out while I was in the store it would make me look like I was trying to take two places or just make me look like I was an incompetent parker. So I pulled out my key fob and used summon to move the car back two feet to get all of the car in my space. I turned and started to walk to the store when a driver who had apparently stopped his car in the middle of the lane to watch me yelled out his window “THAT WAS DOPE!”

Last edited:
Seriously, it's the little things like Summoning your Tesla which has become a trivial thing for us to do but to those not familiar with a Tesla, it's the coolest thing. I was at a superstore few months back and went into a restaurant to pick up food. When I got back, I saw a bunch of store workers standing outside their store and were staring at my car. I opened up my frunk and placed the bag of food as I always do. That left them with puzzled looks then smile on their faces! :cool: Now, whenever I open up my frunk to place groceries in it, I look around and feel a bit disheartened if I don't see anyone nearby to witness it. :p

I’m waiting to take delivery of our new white 75d with the new turbines. I didn’t think I would be, but for lack of a better word, feel a little “nervous” of feedback I’m going to get since I’m only 27 and my wife and I look younger. Anyone else here in the same situation?

I bought a new Buick Roadmaster at 26. My parents happened to be in town when the car was delivered and took me to the dealership. The fleet manager was on vacation and one of the regular sales people was handling the paperwork. My parents were hanging back while I settled the paperwork and when it came time to go over the car, the guy asked if my parents should be in there. When I looked confused, he said he assumed I was giving them the car. I said, "no, it's for me, they have a lot more money than I do!"

If I can survive buying "grandad's car" at 26, I'm sure you will be fine buying one of the trendiest cars around at 27. :)

It's IKEA! They can probably fit a kitchen in the frunk.

I was a little surprised he didn't blink at the abundant cargo space. We were buying a tall bookcase that ended up having to go between the front seats to fit. On the way back some bozo on the I-205 bridge stopped two car in front of me for no reason and I had to make an emergency stop. The bookcase almost rammed forward into the middle screen and something else we had in the back slammed into the passenger seat pretty hard. The armrest got a bit scuffed by the shifting bookcase, but no serious damage.

I parked right in front of Gong Cha (Folsom) in the brand new Model 3 and everybody piled out. After taking our orders guy behind the counter says "Is that one of those self driving cars?!" and I'm "Sure, let me give ya the tour..."

I've parked the Model S (Sig series - no self driving) in front of there a bunch of times previously and nobody said anything. Think they knew?!

I parked right in front of Gong Cha (Folsom) in the brand new Model 3 and everybody piled out. After taking our orders guy behind the counter says "Is that one of those self driving cars?!" and I'm "Sure, let me give ya the tour..."

I've parked the Model S (Sig series - no self driving) in front of there a bunch of times previously and nobody said anything. Think they knew?!
When I took delivery in Rocklin, they ran out of the temporary registration stickers that Tesla puts on your windshield so they just stuck a little piece of paper on there. They were also out of the Zero Emission placeholder for the license plate. Is that what's preventing the hoard of people from approaching me?

Lol now I feel like jackass

Oh, no worries! And welcome to the club!

Congrats to you and your wife on your upcoming 75D! You earned it, so everyone who is jealous can take a long walk off a short pier.

We are all grateful that you have volunteered to serve a brief stint as cannon fodder! :)

Alan

P.S. Better run upstairs and lock the attic door, huh, Dorian? :)

P.P.S. I'm 54, don't look a day over 80. No one cares. Sniffle.

P.P.P.S. Don't worry about the youthful image, give it a little time and you'll fit right in. :)

P.P.P.S. First car I (co-)owned I purchased in 1982 at the age of 19 with a friend: a 1973 Cadillac Fleetwood limousine. We also bought a Dodge Colt so we could commute from our dorm room to the limo's parking garage. More than a few looks/stares/questions over the next three years...

I’m waiting to take delivery of our new white 75d with the new turbines. I didn’t think I would be, but for lack of a better word, feel a little “nervous” of feedback I’m going to get since I’m only 27 and my wife and I look younger. Anyone else here in the same situation?
I am fifty years older than you and I also get "what will people say" thoughts in my head. So I sit in my Model S, crank up the A/C, turn on the radio and silently glide out onto the highway. Suddenly, I don't care what people think. And neither should you.

My wife and I are octogenarians and have cars for all occasions. We have a 90D and our newest is a Carbon 65 Corvette convertible with a supercharged, 650 hp combustion engine and 7 speed manual transmission. People think we look cute.
Once I was driving, at the speed limit, in a Corvette, with roof panels stowed, down a curving, divided highway, known by most to be a speed trap. I was followed by a young woman who wanted me to get out of her way. When we stopped at a signal light, she pulled up and said "you are too old to be driving a car like that." I said "you are too young to be driving any car and don't realize I might have saved you a ticket." She drove on, probably none the wiser and thinking I was being cute.
I can show any of you youngsters just how serious cute can be. So, concentrate on your driving and put all other thoughts out of your mind. Take it from a seasoned former driving safety instructor.

Attachments

• SAM_3339.JPG
    SAM_3339.JPG
    402.3 KB · Views: 101
  • SAM_3680.JPG
    SAM_3680.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 78
  • SAM_3339.JPG
    SAM_3339.JPG
    402.3 KB · Views: 77
  • SAM_3339.JPG
    SAM_3339.JPG
    402.3 KB · Views: 82
  • SAM_3680.JPG
    SAM_3680.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 75
  • SAM_3683.JPG
    SAM_3683.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 85
Friday was a roller coaster; for a while there, really wasn't sure that my parents were going to be comfortable taking the Model 3. Jury's still out; they've agreed to try it for a month and after that if they don't like it we'll find something else to do with the car.

They are still pretty scared of it, especially the cluttered, complicated, multi-layered screen UI that makes any functionality only six swipes, two pop-ups and a window closure away. There's so much for them to absorb that certain topics remain undiscussed, such as opening and closing the frunk.

But... but... for all that... they are game... my Mom operates the screen while my Dad looks for the wiper button on the stalk. They have great "fun" together trying to figure out where to tap the keycard to get the car started. They've already had the car in for service and are fond of "Maria", the woman who helped them on the phone. (As always, Tesla service is awesome. Today, the manager and a technician rushed out to the car as soon as we arrived at the SC. Patiently listened to my father's extended disquisition as to how last night's firmware update might be involved in the problem we were seeing -- it wasn't, it had nothing to do with it -- and then zipped into the garage to debug it. I send you hugs and kisses, Tesla Service!)

I, myself, am loving the Model 3 and look forward to getting one later this summer. Zippy! Range that matches my P100D! Feels great to drive! Just scratching my head at how Tesla engineers still have so much hubris around the UI. Somebody has spent years, untold dollars and an incredible amount of brainpower and forethought while tenderly crafting a logical UI that only an engineer can operate much less love -- probably in part because some other design and/or manufacturing tyrant decreed that there Shalt Not Be Additional Buttons, Stalks Or Other Controls.

Alan

P.S. Turns out my son has been a tremendous help to my father at understanding and operating the Model 3!
IMG_0871.jpg