TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Motors Added to NASDAQ-100 Index Effective July 15

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Curt Renz, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

2. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

Beat me to it Curt. This is good news for our favorite company, yet another cornerstone of legitimacy (like it needed another one for many of us, however...)

3. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

WOW, cool! Is there other changes that go along with this? Will TSLA be picked up by more hedge funds? ;)

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Active Member

Because of this TSLA will be picked up by index funds that track the NASDAQ 100. This means that the stock will likely go up next week.

6. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Yes. There are various funds that will have to sell ORCL and buy TSLA on or around that date. I remember a bit of a surge in my employer's stock price when they were added to the NASDAQ 100, and the S&P 500.

7. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

This is great!

However, I'm wondering why TSLA is replacing ORCL? Seems to me that ORCL certainly belongs in the index
    Typically, you'd expect a bad performing stock to be removed...

8. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

9. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

10. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

That's awesome, I was wondering when this would happen. Actually isn't there a NASDAQ 500 that they skipped over?

11. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

While this is generally good news, bear in mind there's no guarantee that addition to the 100 will provide an instant bump to TSLA's stock price. When FB was added, the stock went down. (Then again, that was FB.:smile:)

12. Lump

Lump Active Member

If the market is decent tommorow TSLA hits a high of $130 & closes around $128.50.

13. mershaw2001

mershaw2001 Member

I would have thought that most of the buying for the indices would be complete by the time of the announcement. If you knew that fund managers had to buy it next week, you could easily load up and force them to pay an exorbitant amount. Instead, I'd imagine they are given a week or two to accumulate, and that accumulation is what took us from 115 to 120.

14. ppl

ppl Member

Will not wait till next week. Traders will accumulate anticipating that

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect this decision also says something about the next report. I strongly doubt that the Nasdaq would add a stock that will drag the index down two weeks later.

15. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

So......If you were a betting man/woman...Would you buy 500 shares at $122 tomorrow?

16. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

Yes if I had the buying power. And the other question is would you be able to get them at that price.

17. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

I have been tracking tsla since a price level of $36. I am an amateur by my own admission. This has been an incredibly steep learning curve. So far, I'm on the earn while you learn program. Go Tesla, I am having the time of my life.

18. kenliles

kenliles Active Member

No. Not at these valuations before a Q2 earnings that will show QoverQ substantial drop in earnings- there is no way to predict what the market will do with that imo

19. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Just asking....So, it is your opinion that Q over Q earnings will see a drop? Many people (OK the TMC forum has lots of us pulling for TM) here feel the Q to Q will be up.

20. kenliles

kenliles Active Member

That's part of the problem. There's virtually no chance to beat last quarter earnings and yet the market may well be expecting this ala an Apple like performance. If we're real lucky they won't post a loss as they have very clearly forecasted. A small profit is the best we can see which will be MUCH less than last quarter profit, charting a shrinking profit level. We all know this is part of he necessary plan. But the market may well not see it that way. I would advise caution and resist over leverge of positions

Disclosure I'm long TSLA but have pulled back to core stock holding until after the report