Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla navigation map is now in grey scale - how do we change this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The map in the navigation in my 2018 Model S used to be in color (water was blue, parks were green, etc.). After installing 2018.20, the map almost all grey scale. Now all roads, water, parks, buildings, etc. are grey. The only things in color are the triangle that shows where you are, the blue line for your route when navigating and a few highway numbers.

I took the car to service. The fist tech had never seen it before and thought it was a setting, but after talking with others there, I was told that the grey is part of a new update to make it easier to see. That doesn't make sense. The update is worse. Any thoughts on how to get the color back? Tesla have a setting for those who prefer the color.

A photo from my car's updated map and the a show room car's non-updated color map are below.

Do others see this? Suggestions?

new map.jpg
old map.jpg

Mine is in color. Likely a corrupt download. Try satellite view — that should be color

I don't think it is a corrupt download, this changed happened on the Model 3s already, so it is now coming to the S&X.

I sort of thought it was getting stuck in night mode, but maybe it is on purpose.

@Amocat I think the only way to get it back to color would be for a lot of people to contact Tesla and request it. Email service, tweet @tesla/Elon, and if you feel really strong about send an escalation email to the executives.

@MP3Mike Thank you. At first I thought it was night mode as well, but it's not.This is a lighter version of night mode.

I'll contact Tesla about this. I hope others that would prefer a color option contact Tesla too. You might want to contact Tesla even if your car doesn't have the update yet so yo don't get stuck black and white.

Greyscale map was already present on MCU2 cars, which came with the new Google Maps vector mapping. I'm assuming you have MCU1 - do the map labels now rotate as you rotate the map, rather than retiling as it used to?

This is great if they have finally unlocked vector maps for MCU1 as it should be much smoother to render than the old image based tiled mapping.

The map in the navigation in my 2018 Model S used to be in color (water was blue, parks were green, etc.). After installing 2018.20, the map almost all grey scale. Now all roads, water, parks, buildings, etc. are grey. The only things in color are the triangle that shows where you are, the blue line for your route when navigating and a few highway numbers.

I took the car to service. The fist tech had never seen it before and thought it was a setting, but after talking with others there, I was told that the grey is part of a new update to make it easier to see. That doesn't make sense. The update is worse. Any thoughts on how to get the color back? Tesla have a setting for those who prefer the color.

A photo from my car's updated map and the a show room car's non-updated color map are below.

Do others see this? Suggestions?

View attachment 307492 View attachment 307493
We picked up our new model s Thursday and I asked if it had the latest somtware and they said yes. It was 2018.14.2. Maps were colored on the drive home. Received an update yesterday and it installed 2018.14.3. Maps were then grey. I have not seen anymore updates but the car now shows 2018.21.9. What is happening?

• Disagree
Reactions: skip8jj
Interesting, the first MCU2 car I'd seen several weeks already had a notably less colorful map than MCU1 - although now that I think back, I don't think it was quite as grayscale as the picture you posted. That is quite odd and less visually appealing.

With the latest update, MCU1 still has the old tiled maps in full color.

MCU2 cars which shipped with vector maps enabled were slightly more muted in colors to begin with, but seems to have gone completely grayscale as per OP with the latest update.

Wonder if MCU1 will ever get vector maps enabled. Someone on here with root access managed to enable it months ago so I doubt it is any issue for the hardware...

My Model X also has the desaturated map - I only just noticed it now after seeing this thread. My car has the new MCU as well. Note that not all 2018 cars have the Intel MCU, only cars manufactured after March will have it.

I can't say I'm overly bothered by the change, but I think I prefer seeing some colour on the map.

I think the reason for the change is that it certainly does make the road traffic colors easier to see: green-on-green (e.g. roads in wooded areas) was not easy to parse at a glance compared to green-on-grey.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I'm allover the place happy with the grey scale maps. They just looks 100% better than the old 80's maps in color.
So much easier to read out text on the map and traffic overlay + road signs are much better rendered and pop in contrast to the grey scale.

Thanks Tesla for making this change moving to something that looks much more contemporary than the old scheme with poor selected colors that feels like jumping back 10 years in time.

My maps (MCU1, 2018.24.1). Map is greyscale. Non-streetname labels do NOT rotate when I rotate the map.

I thought... Yay! vector maps, now it'll be super smooth! Instead it still renders in tiles and seems to take longer to do so. Zooming is not as smooth as before. Overall a downgrade. I personally don't care what color the maps are or aren't, but I do want smooth performance.