Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla need to allow FSD to belong to owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until FSD belongs to the owner (me), it makes no sense to buy it when you only keep a car for one to two years. I'm on my 3rd model Y and would be out $40k since FSD belongs to the car.

Wake up Elon!!!
This has been discussed hundreds of times and your sentiment is widely shared by Tesla owners. Twice Tesla has provided a free transfer option when trading up. I took them up one this last August. Who knows what will happen in the future. But as someone else has said Tesla appears to be pushing people towards the subscription option.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
Upvote 0
Why are you only keeping the car 1-2 years?
Sold the 2020 because the 2023 had a better suspension. Traded in the 2023 for a 2024 because the new Ultra Red looks better than the old red. I'll be trading in my 2024 for a Rivian 2025 R1S because I need a bigger SUV for two dog kennels and long road trips. Tesla just doesn't have anything for two dog kennels. I have a Cybertruck on order, but after looking at it when I picked up my Y, the kennels will not fit in the back seat.

Upvote 0
Sold the 2020 because the 2023 had a better suspension. Traded in the 2023 for a 2024 because the new Ultra Red looks better than the old red. I'll be trading in my 2024 for a Rivian 2025 R1S because I need a bigger SUV for two dog kennels and long road trips. Tesla just doesn't have anything for two dog kennels. I have a Cybertruck on order, but after looking at it when I picked up my Y, the kennels will not fit in the back seat.
Why do the dogs need to be in boxes ?

Upvote 0
I agree, I've paid for FSD twice (my choice, no gun to my head), but I won't pay for it again for my 2021 Model S. I live in the Mid-west and was only seeing 7ish months of usage due to all the hazards (winter, rain, pot holes, fog, flashing yellow lights, shadows, construction) that prevents FSD from working. Should be buy 2 get 1 free! :p

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
Upvote 0
I think the entire notion of buying FSD was supposed to be for robotaxi companies. We can subscribe to the thing for $200/month. At that price, it would take five years for a subscription to reach the $12,000 level. Anyone who doesn't expect to hang onto their car for at least six years shouldn't be buying FSD. Anyone who isn't interested in actively using it all the time shouldn't buy FSD.

I live in the Mid-west and was only seeing 7ish months of usage due to all the hazards (winter, rain, pot holes, fog, flashing yellow lights, shadows, construction) that prevents FSD from working.
That's a perfect example of the value of subscribing. You hold onto a car for, say, four years, subscribe for seven months out of each year, resulting in 28 months of subscription for $5,600. Then you get a new car. You've spent $6,300 less than if you purchased the software.

I purchased FSD for the same reason I purchased a Tesla - to throw money at the company in hopes that electric vehicles would catch on, and that autonomy would also become A Thing. I'd much rather buy a small, used pickup truck, but that's not what the world needs. Now that Tesla is established, I can hope for a small, used electric pickup truck, and subscribe to FSD when I go on road trips. Or rent a nice road trip vehicle with FSD.

Upvote 0
I agree, I've paid for FSD twice (my choice, no gun to my head), but I won't pay for it again for my 2021 Model S. I live in the Mid-west and was only seeing 7ish months of usage due to all the hazards (winter, rain, pot holes, fog, flashing yellow lights, shadows, construction) that prevents FSD from working. Should be buy 2 get 1 free! :p
We bought FSD outright on 3 of our 5 Teslas. Did NOT on my 2021 Model S since there was never an "upgrade path"when I purchased it in 2021. Either Tesla should give FSD to those that have purchased every version for a Model S ever made 😂 or allow transfer perpetually to same owners.

Upvote 0
Perfectly valid points.
One caveat from someone who has previously purchased FSD.
When I sold my Model Y a couple of years ago, I recovered most, if not all, of the cost of FSD.
Carmax gave me a quote, then asked if it had FSD. When I told them it did, they reran the numbers. It was much higher.

I don’t know if it was a fluke, or if it is typical.
If typical it is something to keep in mind.

Reactions: Bouba
Upvote 0
I don’t know if it was a fluke, or if it is typical.
If typical it is something to keep in mind.
I assume it was a fluke and that you ran into a CarMax guy who had bought into Elon's hype about robotaxis being just around the corner. FSD's trade-in value has been close to zero because nobody has advanced driver assist technology on their radar. It's only been a technological oddity, and may remain that way until it achieves SAE Level 3 capabilities. A bunch of men geeking out over it on Twitter just isn't going to make it into a product for the masses.

Reactions: boonedocks
Upvote 1
I think the entire notion of buying FSD was supposed to be for robotaxi companies. We can subscribe to the thing for $200/month. At that price, it would take five years for a subscription to reach the $12,000 level. Anyone who doesn't expect to hang onto their car for at least six years shouldn't be buying FSD. Anyone who isn't interested in actively using it all the time shouldn't buy FSD.

That's a perfect example of the value of subscribing. You hold onto a car for, say, four years, subscribe for seven months out of each year, resulting in 28 months of subscription for $5,600. Then you get a new car. You've spent $6,300 less than if you purchased the software.

I purchased FSD for the same reason I purchased a Tesla - to throw money at the company in hopes that electric vehicles would catch on, and that autonomy would also become A Thing. I'd much rather buy a small, used pickup truck, but that's not what the world needs. Now that Tesla is established, I can hope for a small, used electric pickup truck, and subscribe to FSD when I go on road trips. Or rent a nice road trip vehicle with FSD.
Yea, I ran the numbers too and it's better to do the subscription. I tried the subscription once in 2022 and cancelled it after it almost caused a wreck. The 2024 Y has much better camera's and computer. I just received the 30 day trial software, so I'll give it a try this month. If it works well, I do the subscription. I have a Cybertruck on order (dual motor) now for 4 years. Tesla says I should receive it this year. I'm curious if I have to buy a subscription for both cars when I'm the only driver of both. Something tells me I'll need to have two subscriptions. Ugh!

Reactions: JB47394
Upvote 0
Yea, I ran the numbers too and it's better to do the subscription. I tried the subscription once in 2022 and cancelled it after it almost caused a wreck. The 2024 Y has much better camera's and computer. I just received the 30 day trial software, so I'll give it a try this month. If it works well, I do the subscription. I have a Cybertruck on order (dual motor) now for 4 years. Tesla says I should receive it this year. I'm curious if I have to buy a subscription for both cars when I'm the only driver of both. Something tells me I'll need to have two subscriptions. Ugh!
Yeah. When I got my Y the factors (for me) were:

Environmental wonderfulness 2%
My age, when will DMV demand I personally stop driving? 4%
Total cost of ownership for life of car. 4%
Minimalist design 30%
Save $88,000 on FSD for using my Y as a robotaxi 40%
Never. Ever. Have to go to a stealership again 10%
Reliability 10%

I'm pretty much okay with the way it turned out, except that FSD that actually works well enough for a robotaxi, appears to be geo fenced in a galaxy far, far, away, and hence my Y will never be admitted to the robotaxi fleet even if there ever is one on this planet.

Upvote 0