Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla needs to refresh the Model S, asap.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The money they (tesla) poured into the semi would have better been spent bringing the model Y to market.
Once they are established and are operating their factories on autopilot (pun intended) they can branch out and take on the commercial vehicle market.

Also “charged while loading or unloading” many large companies that ordered the truck don’t have their drivers wait to get loaded or unloaded.
They simply arrive, drop loaded trailer, grab empty trailer and keep going.
I’m in the business and I don’t know of any large company that has their drivers wait to unload or load at their terminals. That’s highly inefficient.

Who says Tesla can't do both? The Y and the semi? They are both cannibalizing the M3's motors and batteries. The Y will be on a modified 3 platform. There's half your engineering right there.

The Tesla Semi must be disruptive because Volvo and Freightliner among others are tripping over themselves to get their own EV products or press releases out.

Regarding the S, I expect a new M3 inspired interior, what we cannot see will be a much simplifed wiring harness that Tesla has been working on for production efficiency and lower costs. Exterior, maybe new front and rear caps, but that is it. Changing sheet metal, means changing expensive presses and that's not going to pass any business case.

In addition, the real competitors to the S will be out around 2020 or 2021. Better to release a new gen S then.

Who says Tesla can't do both? The Y and the semi? They are both cannibalizing the M3's motors and batteries. The Y will be on a modified 3 platform. There's half your engineering right there.

The Tesla Semi must be disruptive because Volvo and Freightliner among others are tripping over themselves to get their own EV products or press releases out.

Regarding the S, I expect a new M3 inspired interior, what we cannot see will be a much simplifed wiring harness that Tesla has been working on for production efficiency and lower costs. Exterior, maybe new front and rear caps, but that is it. Changing sheet metal, means changing expensive presses and that's not going to pass any business case.

In addition, the real competitors to the S will be out around 2020 or 2021. Better to release a new gen S then.

Huh? Changing sheet metal is a matter of changing dies. And the dies in those presses get changed to run different parts regularly.

I don't expect major structural changes... things that affect the underlying framework. I do expect some sheet metal visual cues to change. At a minimum the need to make the charge port door larger to accommodate the dual charge ports that you're seeing on the M3 in Europe.

The financials say it, there’s a reason 7% of the work force were laid off, at a time when their service and sales departments are under staffed.
There’s a reason Supercharger build out slowed down the last quarter.

Reactions: Inside
If range was your top priority, you would have bought a Model S and not Model X. You are obviously not interested in the Model S, so stating you're not dropping a penny on a Model S until they switch to 2170 batteries is neither here or there. Not to mention that switching to the 2170 might not give the Model S any more range, Tesla may simply keep the range the same and lower the price.

The X was bought in 2016. After real world driving for 2 years, range is now my top priority. I’m glad you know everything about my situation, no need to be a complete jackass based on your own idiotic opinions.

And yes the range may or may not change with the switch. Excellent analysis and contributions.

Reactions: AMPd
If range was your top priority, you would have bought a Model S and not Model X. You are obviously not interested in the Model S, so stating you're not dropping a penny on a Model S until they switch to 2170 batteries is neither here or there.

I would expect pretty much everyone to talk about Model S/X interchangeably when discussing generic upgrades like 2170 batteries or interior refresh or other things shared by Model S/X.

It really is too bad the forums are split on TMC the way they are. A lot of this talk is shared between Model S/X. I certainly see @DocZ doing exactly that, lumping Model S/X together for the purposes of refresh discussion. It makes sense to me too.

The X was bought in 2016. After real world driving for 2 years, range is now my top priority. I’m glad you know everything about my situation, no need to be a complete jackass based on your own idiotic opinions.

And yes the range may or may not change with the switch. Excellent analysis and contributions.
You implied if S has 2170 batteries you'd be buying one, my question to you is why wait? S100D already has more range than any MX, and since range is your top priority, why wait?

I would expect pretty much everyone to talk about Model S/X interchangeably when discussing generic upgrades like 2170 batteries or interior refresh or other things shared by Model S/X.

It really is too bad the forums are split on TMC the way they are. A lot of this talk is shared between Model S/X. I certainly see @DocZ doing exactly that, lumping Model S/X together for the purposes of refresh discussion. It makes sense to me too.
Agreed, though in this specific case @DocZ would have clarified it in one of his replies.

There was an article on Electrek I think about the pending interior refresh. My wife and I thought it looked hideous. Plus, we make a 220-mile round trip once or twice a month that is not near an SC and our 2012 P85 couldn't make the trip without charging which added an hour. So we took advantage of the tax credit and picked up a loaner S100D last month. We lamented the loss of our rear-facing MS seats and thought about an X but the range penalty would have made the above trip dicey in the winter. W/ the S100D we've done it twice now in the winter with no problems. AWD and the other features (heated steering wheel and back seats, EAP, etc) were a bonus. I wish they would have just sold us a 100kWh pack upgrade but that still isn't an option.

IMO, what will drive a range upgrade will either be based on when Tesla's current contracts for 18650s are fulfilled and it makes economic sense to use GF 2170s or, if/when a competitor comes out w/ a 300-mile range car. Elon will force a bump whether it makes economic sense or not.

I also believe that the semi was a stupid idea. They know 0 about the market and 0 about the product. They have no idea what truckers want, how to service them, etc. Who cares if Volvo and Freightliner build EV trucks? Yay for the environment. Tesla needs to focus on the passenger car market. At least they know >0 about that.

Reactions: Inside and ucmndd
You implied if S has 2170 batteries you'd be buying one, my question to you is why wait? S100D already has more range than any MX, and since range is your top priority, why wait?

Because 295 miles vs 335 miles isn’t a big difference and doesn’t meet my needs. Model 3 range of 310 miles is also a negligible difference. If the Model S gets a battery upgrade of 375+ miles then I would buy that.

Not sure why this concept is so difficult for you to understand.

Totally agree. I am dying to buy a Model S and have been holding out for about a year now. Not dropping a single penny while I know that the 3 has a better battery pack. I need more range, hopefully Tesla can release a 400 mile S.

I totally agree!
My local fortune teller read the tarot cards & saw the lucky number 2170!

Kidding aside, Tesla long term contract with Panasonic to produce & buy the 18650 Li ion batteries ended in 2017.
So, there's no logical reason not to switch to the 2170 batteries
Panasonic to Supply Tesla With 2 Billion Lithium-Ion Battery Cells From 2014 to 2017

I'm thinking 2021 is your year, my friend. It'll be here soon enough.
The mid cycle enhancement (MCE) is slated for late 2019.
Exclusive first look at Tesla Model S and Model X interior refresh: going spartan like Model 3

The complete refresh with new exterior styling is slated for 2021.

Range is my top priority. 2170 cells would increase the range. I have a Model X so not sure what all the BS about excuses is. Tesla needs to update the range ASAP, bottom line.

The general consensus is the 2170 batteries are 10-15% more energy efficient !
Tesla’s new 2170 battery cell packs more power

Count me as one who will upgrade only after a compelling reason emerges. Such as 400 mile range, better autopilot, or exterior redesign. For now my 2013 is holding up great and I'll keep it until we have another quantum leap.

This may be your lucky day.......with a winning Trifecta!

New 2170 Li Ion batteries would certainly give you a 400 ml range
Tesla might have achieved battery energy density and cost breakthroughs

Better AutoPilot (AP3) seems to be imminent!
These Owners Believe Tesla Autopilot 3.0 Is Shipping Early: Video

2021 wholesale exterior refresh!
Tesla hires lead designer behind Volvo’s praised XC40 SUV

Thus, Tesla S owners need not sit on the fence.....hopefully 2170 on their way!
Then, late 2019 y'all get the MCE interior refresh.
Finally, 2021 arrives with a new updated exterior design!

Last edited:
I totally agree!
My local fortune teller read the tarot cards & saw the lucky number 2170!

Kidding aside, Tesla long term contract with Panasonic to produce & buy the 18650 Li ion batteries ended in 2017.
So, there's no logical reason not to switch to the 2170 batteries
Panasonic to Supply Tesla With 2 Billion Lithium-Ion Battery Cells From 2014 to 2017

The mid cycle enhancement (MCE) is slated for late 2019.
Exclusive first look at Tesla Model S and Model X interior refresh: going spartan like Model 3

The complete refresh with new exterior styling is slated for 2021.

The general consensus is the 2170 batteries are 10-15% more energy efficient !
Tesla’s new 2170 battery cell packs more power

This may be your lucky day.......with a winning Trifecta!

New 2170 Li Ion batteries would certainly give you a 400 ml range
Tesla might have achieved battery energy density and cost breakthroughs

Better AutoPilot (AP3) seems to be imminent!
These Owners Believe Tesla Autopilot 3.0 Is Shipping Early: Video

2021 wholesale exterior refresh!
Tesla hires lead designer behind Volvo’s praised XC40 SUV

Thus, Tesla S owners need not sit on the fence.....hopefully 2170 on their way!
Then, late 2019 y'all get the MCE interior refresh.
Finally, 2021 arrives with a new updated exterior design!

Nice post my friend. I hope it happens soon. One interesting aspect of this - those who have leased an S/X for 3 years will be looking to upgrade...it would be difficult to get them to lease essentially the same car with minor upgrades. Something big should be coming soon.

2019 BMW M5 is pretty close
If Tesla loses me as a customer that is pretty much the only other car I'd seriously consider (ICE or not).

The Model S is a fantastic shape that hasn't dated, the facelift helped there I think.
I'd happily get a faster model if they made such a thing.
1 - Smaller range (eg, less batteries?).
2 - Therefore less weight (aim to get the P100D well under 2,000kg, perhaps 1,800kg).
3 - High 9 second 1/4 mile.
Compromise max range with faster acceleration, wouldn't worry this city dweller one bit.

Last edited:
I really don’t think they need to update the exterior very much. I actually like the thought that they could do subtle exterior changes every three years (like the nose con e) so that an existing car never suddenly looks old. I also think the Model S still is one of the sexiest cars on the road.

The Model S could remain a very compelling luxury sedan if they:
-Update the interior
-Extend range by 10-15% over the 75D & 100D
-Made it V3 supercharging capable
-Differentiate it from the 3 by doing something extra as a standard feature: unlimited supercharging, maintenance included, or EAP included

Great list. Given (I assume) better margins on the S than the 3, I’m surprised they don’t do one or more of the “extras” that you list. In particular unlimited supercharging. My guess is people who can afford an S or X can charge at home and thus supercharging wouldn’t cost TESLA too much.

Although the drop in model S/X demand can be attributed to buyers opting for the model 3. I think it’s buyers who are waiting for a refresh.
Besides the front fascia update and slight rear bumper difference along with seat changes, the model s is very much like the 2012 model

I think there are many people waiting for a new model s, a redisigned S.
It’s been over 6 years!
Yes!! Definitely agree

If Tesla loses me as a customer that is pretty much the only other car I'd seriously consider (ICE or not).

The Model S is a fantastic shape that hasn't dated, the facelift helped there I think.
I'd happily get a faster model if they made such a thing.
1 - Smaller range (eg, less batteries?).
2 - Therefore less weight (aim to get the P100D well under 2,000kg, perhaps 1,800kg).
3 - High 9 second 1/4 mile.
Compromise max range with faster acceleration, wouldn't worry this city dweller one bit.
I wish they would bring back the + suspension option.
That would make the P100D an absolute beast. I had a P85+ loaner and absolutely loved the handling, made my P90D feel like a boat
Actually thought about buying the P85+

I’d say a new generation of the S and in turn X, possibly with the 2070 cells will have to wait for a few years.

Tesla isn’t exactly swimming in money and the base 3, Model Y, Chinese factory and maybe even the pick up, are more important.

Tesla needs some serious volume in the coming years, to keep being profitable and reduce cost. They are also facing more and more competition. From traditional OEMs, as well as other start ups and the Chinese (I remember when people didn’t want to buy Korean and it was the same with Japanese cars before).

Loosing some of the 100k S and X sales isn’t great, but compared to the potential of the Y, or pickup it’s negligible. So if you have a limited pool of engineers and don’t want to hire more, anyone would focus on those.

In the meantime I guess we might see some small changes, but the overall car will mostly stay the same.

Great list. Given (I assume) better margins on the S than the 3, I’m surprised they don’t do one or more of the “extras” that you list. In particular unlimited supercharging. My guess is people who can afford an S or X can charge at home and thus supercharging wouldn’t cost TESLA too much.
I disagree with this. My coworkers (very well paid tech workers) back in Cali are the cheapest SOBs. Even though they can charge at home they go out to lunch every other day near an SC and charge (or complain when the SC is full and then stop by there on their way home) for free.

Free SCing will kill Tesla. Electricity prices will only rise. No ICE company gives away free fuel. Do what everyone else does and give away service or extend the warranty or something else that you have control over. Not electricity.