Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla new model silhouette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon shows the new model silhouette- looks like a hatch/coupe sort. Model 2 or Model Two?

screenshot-electrek.co-2023.05.17-15_44_45.png

screenshot-electrek.co-2023.05.17-15_44_45.png

Interesting sequence:
CT production announcement day late Q3 at stated, Sept 20, 2023
M2, more details, now until the CT announcement day; June/July/Aug/Sept
Roadster, more details, Oct/Nov/Dec
Think that by the end of the year, we will know:
The CT is shipping to customers in low numbers with large ramp early 2024.
The M2 will be fully shown, as the CT was shown back the day, with low shipping numbers mid to end of 2024.
The Roadster, will just arrive anytime between Nov 2023 to June 2024, mostly in response to the new sub 2 second mega car speed announcement; ego.
Lets hope for we want to order the M2 next year and CT in 2026/gen2.

Interesting... you got me thinking that the 2026 model won't be a second generation Cybertruck, it will be another vehicle built on the same chassis.

In fact, we saw the outlines of this a few weeks ago at the Lithium event - the tool rack wasn't only a tool rack, it was an optical test to see if a straight roof line front to back would pass muster with the audience. This implies that the 2026 model could be/should be a large SUV built on the Cybertruck chassis a la Rivian R1T/R1S and GM with the Hummer EV pickup/SUV. The full-sized Cyber-SUV would peg above the Model X in size/spaciousness/off-road capabilities and all-out brutishness. It would out-Escalade the Escalade and get in front of an EV Defender.

As for why no details as of yet, sales will be tough this year with a high interest rate environment so Tesla really can't run full-steam on pushing units until (1) they have a lower priced model (thus the price cuts this year) and (2) interest rates start to ebb globally.

To keep the stock price up over the next 12-18 months, expect a trickle of news every few months on the above plus a few unexpected surprises.

This isn’t necessarily a better car, it’s a cheaper car. With a lot of cost cutting applied. Tesla is going downmarket to sell more vehicles. Maybe some features will be taken out like how they took out the passenger lumbar support and parking sensors. Maybe manual seats, and trunk, no sunroof, etc…

Reactions: ACarneiro
This isn’t necessarily a better car, it’s a cheaper car. With a lot of cost cutting applied. Tesla is going downmarket to sell more vehicles. Maybe some features will be taken out like how they took out the passenger lumbar support and parking sensors. Maybe manual seats, and trunk, no sunroof, etc…
The sunroof may come back (though it's manual). I also hear it may have custom contour seats and a beverage-gripping dash.

The history of Tesla says it will be the least imaginative and/or later to market than any of the guesses

The challenge is how do you make a new car with less going on than a M3 to reduce the price and make the M3 still worth buying.. The M3 interior is already minimalist, the exterior is the same. How much do you save over a M3 RWD model by shrinking the battery to say 45kwh and getting rid of a mobile charge pad and heated steering wheel, and would you want to? Do you drop the FSD hardware? Can’t see them doing that when all the safety systems are baked in now.

Maybe highland will take the M3 upmarket and any entry model will be smaller but otherwise more like the original M3 spec wise.

Where I’d like them to go is take the M3Y platform and create a coupe and a mild off roader

my bad, when I meant Gen2, I really meant the first refresh, managing out the bugs, I want a CT, but not the initial release as we saw the MY become a master piece after the first set of refreshes, M2 think the initial will be good enough, mostly being a bridge vehicle for young people before they get their own M3/My/CT

When I saw the profile my first reaction was it was a Model 3 and presumed it was the refresh. BMW, Merc and Audi have declared an "All new..." 3 series, C class, or A4 model every 6-8 years so Musk saying it's a "new model", could be just that, the new Model 3.

Reactions: Dayreg
I'd like it to be a smaller model 2 but as mentioned above what could you take from a model 3 to make it budget? It's already barebones. Size/price isn't enough of a differentiator (it would be in Europe, but Tesla have shown before they design/build for their home market and americans don't 'do' small cars).

I'm thinking a 3 refresh or possibly even a refreshed X using Y styling.

Teasing the “silhouette” of a new Tesla model is both a safe and effective marketing strategy. It gets people (and the media) talking without releasing any details. For the more ‘senior’ members on this forum, recall that Infiniti did the same thing back in the early 90s when they introduced their flagship Q45 sedan with a silhouette. With each new image more details were slowly revealed. We all know Tesla doesn’t officially advertise their products, but media leaks do get immediate attention. Per Elon, Tesla is considering advertising in the future. Anything to keep us on the edge of our seats.

I'd like it to be a smaller model 2 but as mentioned above what could you take from a model 3 to make it budget? It's already barebones. Size/price isn't enough of a differentiator (it would be in Europe, but Tesla have shown before they design/build for their home market and americans don't 'do' small cars).

China is a huge market along with Europe. I think they need a smaller car.

The American EV car market is slightly more complex than they don’t do small cars. Though Chevrolet is stopping production of Bolt (small EV) by the end of this year, the demand for Bolt has really ramped up with them expecting to sell 70000 units in 2023. Their stopping production of Bolt even though demand is high is their broader strategy of retooling the Orion factory to produce EV units and other gas powered trucks. Chevy is essentially cutting the head off a chicken to retool the factory that can produce more profit making cars than smaller EVs. So, the demand for smaller EVs in America is there but the traditional car makers focus is on profits and how they set the agenda when they retool their factories. You can see that with the German automakers - why are they making those hideous big electric SUVs during the initial phase when not many people can buy electric? and the early adopters going to be just rich people - so the companies can make ginormous profits.

However, both home/away Tesla’s strategy is different - Yes, just like any business they are also interested in profit making but they do closely track Chevy’s/Ford’s history and try and emulate as close as possible. A smaller EV is the ideal car for both home/away market at the moment. Even if it is for a period of few years till the demand lasts in home market they will make smaller EV. Tesla can and will do the same to Model 2/A as Chevy did to Bolt. Chevy is spending 4 billion to retool their Orion factory. The advantage for Tesla is they don’t have to retool any of their gigafactories to make a smaller EV/truck/larger car etc.,Unfortunately this is something traditional auto makers has to live with and their retooling every old factories itself is going to take billions of dollars - some of them may not be able to afford!

Last edited: