Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla no longer including mobile charger bundle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Oz, Tesla charge $860.
Hopefully?? Tesla will reduce the price of the vehicle to compensate.
More likely in lieu of another price increase.

Australian set also contains two tails, US only one.
Arguably you could drop the 15A tail and make it optional (and ideally Tesla AU could also sell cheaper 3-pin and 5-pin 32A tails, and possibly even a Type2 tail (if it's technically possibly to pass thru the handshake)

If you ordered your car when it included the UMC then consumer law would surely cover you if you insist they supply it, im not sure I’m not going to just accept that they now don’t supply it when they did when I placed my order especially at an additional cost of $800!
When they decided to stop including the HPWC and dropped the price, existing orders had the option of keeping the HPWC or losing it but getting the new lower price.

Reactions: ianhutch1
So, if they now don’t include a UMC is the HPWC the most cost effective way to home charge? If it is I’ll order one now before they jack the price on that too
If you were planning on getting a new circuit installed for charging anyway, then yeah - the HPWC is a little cheaper.

Frankly the idea of using the existing shared circuit and GPOs of unknown installation quality to charge long-term gave me the willies, so I wanted a new dedicated circuit put in anyway. I also think a wired-in charger is preferable to using a plug & socket because that's just another point for a poor (heat-generating) connection to develop.

Still says here it is included - so I have saved the webpage. Will go through the ACCC if it’s not included, but might be waiting a while since I haven’t even got a VIN yet!

Still says here it is included - so I have saved the webpage. Will go through the ACCC if it’s not included, but might be waiting a while since I haven’t even got a VIN yet!
Agreed. You can't move the goal posts after the purchase has been made. If the UMC is to be made an option, it should be on future sales and selectable during the order process. The removal of the UMC should not be back dated to an order made 2 months ago (as is the case with me - for example).
Secondly, I believe it should be included in any case as a method to charge an EV should be provided with the vehicle as standard.

Same boat, will hassle them if required.

It's a BS cost cutting decision.

When they cut the HPWC in the US and other countries, it continued to be supplied complimentary to the Australian market for another 2-3 years.

Reactions: banana0692
Controversial opinion, at some stage this makes sense. It’s the equivalent to carrying a Jerry can around, only needed for some usage cases and rare occasions. However doing it now is too early given the state of installed private and public charging infrastructure.
I consider a charger in my garage a piece of infrastructure like the other wires in my house, the plumbing or appliances, but I own where I live and understand many don’t and that changes the logic around this. Making the UMC a configurable option I think is probably the best way forward as it helps to lower the price so cars have a better chance of qualifying for government support whilst allowing those that need it to include it in their order.

Controversial opinion, at some stage this makes sense. It’s the equivalent to carrying a Jerry can around, only needed for some usage cases and rare occasions. However doing it now is too early given the state of installed private and public charging infrastructure.
I consider a charger in my garage a piece of infrastructure like the other wires in my house, the plumbing or appliances, but I own where I live and understand many don’t and that changes the logic around this. Making the UMC a configurable option I think is probably the best way forward as it helps to lower the price so cars have a better chance of qualifying for government support whilst allowing those that need it to include it in their order.
I can certainly see the point. It is similar to having a jack and a spare tire. At some point the rarity of use and available alternatives make it nearly redundant. Nearly. So those with particular use cases and circumstances can get them, but for the most part people can devote the weight and space to other purposes.

I do still think that in Australia we do not have the penetration of fast and destination charging for me to want to do without. I’m using mine, albeit rarely, staying overnight in small towns.

The sharing of the cost saving between Tesla and the consumer will be decided by an interesting set of factors - government incentive qualifications, Tesla profit, Tesla costs, consumer demand for the cars, and others.