Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now RENTS solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my plan from Tesla -- 36 panels, 11.34 system size, estimated annual production if 11005.05kWh. They quoted SolarEdge inverters and Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G5/SC 310-320 panels.

Not sure it seems worth it for me. I'm trying to check my math, but what I'm coming up with is...

1 Month = 917kWh generated (average).
System cost is $150 (plus tax? Sales Tax in Connecticut is 6.35%) = $159.53
Eversource's current generation rate is $0.08123 + delivery fees total $0.11062 = $0.19185 / kWh currently.
917kWh * $0.19185 = $175.93 generated value.

That leads me to a savings of $16.40 a month. Or a 92 month payback on the inevitable $1500 removal fee, assuming they never raise the system cost more than any increase in generation cost.

I'm underwhelmed. I'd effectively be doing it purely out of my academic interest in solar.

Got my plan from Tesla -- 36 panels, 11.34 system size, estimated annual production if 11005.05kWh. They quoted SolarEdge inverters and Q.PEAK DUO BLK-G5/SC 310-320 panels.

Not sure it seems worth it for me. I'm trying to check my math, but what I'm coming up with is...

Eversource's current generation rate is $0.08123 + delivery fees total $0.11062 = $0.19185 / kWh currently.

That leads me to a savings of $16.40 a month. Or a 92 month payback on the inevitable $1500 removal fee, assuming they never raise the system cost more than any increase in generation cost.

I'm underwhelmed. I'd effectively be doing it purely out of my academic interest in solar.

is math better on the $50 cost end to satisfy the "academic interest in solar" (which I share!). Do you have a TOU plan?

is math better on the $50 cost end to satisfy the "academic interest in solar" (which I share!). Do you have a TOU plan?
That's a very interesting point; I will have to consider that -- I think it would scale lineraly. So 3.8kW plan would cost $53 with tax and generate ~$58 in power. So $5 a month saved. That still leaves me on the hook for $1500 someday with basically infinite payback. That might be acceptable to me, I'll have to sleep on that.

Unfortunately I do not have TOU with Eversource here in CT (very few people do as far as I can tell). It looks like that is currently 10.67/7.17 cents/kWh peak/off-peak. Eversource credits excess production at something like 8 cents fixed.

That's a very interesting point; I will have to consider that -- I think it would scale lineraly. So 3.8kW plan would cost $53 with tax and generate ~$58 in power. So $5 a month saved. That still leaves me on the hook for $1500 someday with basically infinite payback. That might be acceptable to me, I'll have to sleep on that.

Unfortunately I do not have TOU with Eversource here in CT (very few people do as far as I can tell). It looks like that is currently 10.67/7.17 cents/kWh peak/off-peak. Eversource credits excess production at something like 8 cents fixed.

Yeah that's how i justified it by going small and not having to worry about TOU day use (kids and wife complaining about heat during day!0

And getting a wall charger (text deal), only if they install it at a reasonable price.

For me its the following:
1 Month = 1108kWh generated (average).
UI's (through third party) current generation rate is $0.0899 + delivery fees total $0.151 = $0.241 / kWh currently.
1108kWh * $0.241 = $267 generated value.

I think the minimum bill for UI is like $12/mo

That leads me to a savings of $95 a month. Or a 16 month payback on the inevitable $1500 removal fee, assuming they never raise the system cost more than any increase in generation cost.

I also plan on using more than 1108 kWh/mo now that I'll have Solar so it affords me that nice luxury.

1108kWh * $0.241 = $267 generated value.

Economic feasibility is so highly dependent on electricity costs, isn't it? Sure, some regions are sunnier than others, but kWh generated varies a magnitude lower than how electricity costs vary.

During the winter I pay $0.13 per kWh all together in Maryland, and $0.15 during the summer. I'm not sure renting will be economical here until installation costs (passed on as rental fees) drop, or per kWh fees skyrocket.

Reactions: SureValla
So it looks like Tesla may be doing away with the $1,500 removal fee. Screenshot of how the "Renting Solar" page looks now:

Screenshot from 2019-09-06 14-37-41.png

"If you want your system removed to restore your roof to its previous condition, Tesla will remove the system at no cost to you."

... But the $1,500 is still described in the Support documentation: Rent Solar | Tesla

So it looks like Tesla may be doing away with the $1,500 removal fee. Screenshot of how the "Renting Solar" page looks now:

View attachment 451410

"If you want your system removed to restore your roof to its previous condition, Tesla will remove the system at no cost to you."

... But the $1,500 is still described in the Support documentation: Rent Solar | Tesla

I just called tesla energy to ask what was up. The woman who answered my call was completely unaware of the new language and as far as she knew the $1500 was still in effect. She did comment that if you want your system removed within the first 30 days that is no cost. She asked me where that language on the website was and told me she would look into it and email me back an answer.

What was also interesting was she told me that if you stop paying you can leave the equipment up on your roof and not pay the $1500. This is different than how the contract reads IMO but she did state that plainly you can resubscribe at a later time if you wish to halt payments. I dont know how this would work in practice...how would tesla stop you from getting net metering or using the energy the panels produce in this scenario?

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
I just called tesla energy to ask what was up. The woman who answered my call was completely unaware of the new language and as far as she knew the $1500 was still in effect. She did comment that if you want your system removed within the first 30 days that is no cost. She asked me where that language on the website was and told me she would look into it and email me back an answer.

What was also interesting was she told me that if you stop paying you can leave the equipment up on your roof and not pay the $1500. This is different than how the contract reads IMO but she did state that plainly you can resubscribe at a later time if you wish to halt payments. I dont know how this would work in practice...how would tesla stop you from getting net metering or using the energy the panels produce in this scenario?
If they have multiple meters, as we do on our install, they can track production and consumption separately. Tesla could still receive credits from the power company. Our second meter has a second account number with our utility company and we get a statement every month showing our production. The production meter could stay in Tesla's name.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
If they have multiple meters, as we do on our install, they can track production and consumption separately. Tesla could still receive credits from the power company. Our second meter has a second account number with our utility company and we get a statement every month showing our production. The production meter could stay in Tesla's name.

I'm struggling then to see a scenario where you'd have to pay the $1500 at all then. Perhaps only if you want to remove the system to buy another? or you dont like the look of it and want to pull a Richard Nixon removing the panels from the whitehouse?

I just spoke with my energy advisor. He confirmed the $1500 removal fee is indeed gone! He referenced a meeting with Elon at 11 AM this morning. The contract language is being updated now and my advisor is going to notify me when its complete.

Amazing. This is an incredible deal for people who don't have the savings to pay for solar outright or don't want to take on debt. I hope the solar rental comes to more states soon.

I also signed up for this program here in CA. I received the data sheet and see that they use a Panasonic-made 315W solar module and a Delta/SolarCity inverter, which I think is a string inverter. Kind of disappointed that they don't use a microinverter or even an optimizer. Since they're trying to get their capital costs down, I can understand their choice of equipment.

Why not convince the tesla engineer to give you the optimizer? See link....
Solar Panel Equipment | Tesla

What size are you picking? I have limited roof space (HOA) I figured 315 W per panel is like 12 panels or ~ 315x12 = ~3.8 kilowatts system of the small system. For medium system it's 7.6 kilowatts system or ~ 24 panels. 24x315 = ~ 7.560 kilowatts system.

So the cost included an upgrade on your breaker panel from 100 amps to 200 amps?
Essentially, Tesla solar is 10.7k (small) 21.5k (medium), and 32.3K( large) before incentives.

Please keep us posted. I am interested in the Medium system.
I used 20 to 22 kilowatt a day. The small system would not work for me.

Curious if any extra cost are involved? Tesla site claim medium system is 21.5k before incentives but is it really that price?

Why not convince the tesla engineer to give you the optimizer? See link....
Solar Panel Equipment | Tesla

What size are you picking? I have limited roof space (HOA) I figured 315 W per panel is like 12 panels or ~ 315x12 = ~3.8 kilowatts system of the small system. For medium system it's 7.6 kilowatts system or ~ 24 panels. 24x315 = ~ 7.560 kilowatts system.

So the cost included an upgrade on your breaker panel from 100 amps to 200 amps?
Essentially, Tesla solar is 10.7k (small) 21.5k (medium), and 32.3K( large) before incentives.

Please keep us posted. I am interested in the Medium system.
I used 20 to 22 kilowatt a day. The small system would not work for me.

Curious if any extra cost are involved? Tesla site claim medium system is 21.5k before incentives but is it really that price?

I also signed up for this program here in CA. I received the data sheet and see that they use a Panasonic-made 315W solar module and a Delta/SolarCity inverter, which I think is a string inverter. Kind of disappointed that they don't use a microinverter or even an optimizer. Since they're trying to get their capital costs down, I can understand their choice of equipment.

They quoted me a SolarEdge Single Phase Inverter that is designed to work with power optimizers

Reactions: Ulmo