Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now RENTS solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't speak for other parts of the country but I am in Los Angeles and I have never seen a solar system installed on 100 AMP panel. Even a small system would need the panel upgraded. This maybe local code but I would not trust a 100 AMP panel with solar.

No problems installing up to a 3.8 kW PV inverter on a 100 amp panel. Those inverters have a maximum continuous current of 16 amps, which mean they can be interconnected via a 20 amp double pole breaker. That fits within the parameters of the 120% for a 100 amp panel.

I have 2.5 kW AC of solar and (2) Powerwalls, and none of my panels are 200 amps, they are all 125 amps or smaller (busbar ratings).

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and Ulmo
Regarding
I have done some math, I think it’s right:
Ignoring my Model 3 charging on dedicated meter...
1,500 sq ft home
35 kWh per day average for full year (between 15-60 kWh per day)
Last years SCE bill $1,800 for my house
Projected cost for one year rental for 7.5 kW system is $1,560 ($130 x 12)
+ usage charge from SCE since I won’t have Powerwall is $500 (I looked at three examples and calculated my new TOU grid feed or pull by hour and extrapolated for the year)
New cost $2,060
So it will cost me $500 more per year and I have the risk that the system fails then I get destroyed for peak usage without solar.

Seems like even with the zero installation and zero removal fee I will still lose money. This is disappointing. I may still do it for environmental reasons but not financial.

Regarding solar not saving you money you need to keep in mind that you are comparing the current prices for energy. The cost of energy will only go up and if you get solar now you are locking in your rate now. Technically, Tesla can raise the rate on the rental but I think they will keep it stable for a while so they don't piss customers off and get a bad rap. My power is costing me about $2,600 a year so I am at a break even point on the large system but I know I want a hot tub, I want to run the air more and the pool pump more so I will get my moneys worth and know I won't pay more then $195 per month.

PS remember you need to pay tax on that monthly payment too. I have confirmed that with Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
No problems installing up to a 3.8 kW PV inverter on a 100 amp panel. Those inverters have a maximum continuous current of 16 amps, which mean they can be interconnected via a 20 amp double pole breaker. That fits within the parameters of the 120% for a 100 amp panel.

I have 2.5 kW AC of solar and (2) Powerwalls, and none of my panels are 200 amps, they are all 125 amps or smaller (busbar ratings).

Cheers, Wayne

That is new to me. I think LA is more strict with the code.

I have done some math, I think it’s right:
Ignoring my Model 3 charging on dedicated meter...
1,500 sq ft home
35 kWh per day average for full year (between 15-60 kWh per day)
Last years SCE bill $1,800 for my house
Projected cost for one year rental for 7.5 kW system is $1,560 ($130 x 12)
+ usage charge from SCE since I won’t have Powerwall is $500 (I looked at three examples and calculated my new TOU grid feed or pull by hour and extrapolated for the year)
New cost $2,060
So it will cost me $500 more per year and I have the risk that the system fails then I get destroyed for peak usage without solar.

Seems like even with the zero installation and zero removal fee I will still lose money. This is disappointing. I may still do it for environmental reasons but not financial.

for environmental reasons do it @ $50/mo. Not sure if payback is linear.

FYI I just spoke with my tesla energy adviser and the 2000 miles free supercharging is for solar purchases only and the rental does not count.

bummer that would have been icing on the cake. That would explain why it shows up as cancelled on my loot app.

Well alteast I get the free charger, I might push for a reduced fee install instead of miles. I want it right by the breaker box so should be an ez install

FYI I just spoke with my tesla energy adviser and the 2000 miles free supercharging is for solar purchases only and the rental does not count.

I ordered a rental system with my referral and it shows up as a referral order in my Tesla app. Maybe it won't get credited as a completed order, but so far it looks promising.

Should add my timing so far:
Ordered - 9/10
Tentative Install Scheduled - 9/20

I ordered the smallest system and was told that I would not need to upgrade my 100A panel.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
I ordered a rental system with my referral and it shows up as a referral order in my Tesla app. Maybe it won't get credited as a completed order, but so far it looks promising.

Should add my timing so far:
Ordered - 9/10
Tentative Install Scheduled - 9/20

I ordered the smallest system and was told that I would not need to upgrade my 100A panel.

hmm. Typical Tesla. different answers depending on who you talk to, esp w/ referrals

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev
I just had my system install September 9, 2019, (7.6 system) and I only have a 100 amp Panel, the final inspection by the city inspector was completed yesterday and passed. Now I am waiting for the utility company to connect me. Regarding the install it was great, they arrived at 7:45 am my appointment was at 8:00 and they waited until 8 am to ring the doorbell, after that, they performed their walk-through after that they made their recommendation for the install. The install took 6 hrs. Very happy.

I just heard about the no cost removal fee, therefore I am trying to get my agreement amended.

I'm pretty stoked about this actually. Ideally, we won't be in this house for more than 5 years, and I'm over paying $350+ for power through APS for 5 months out of the year, this seams like a no brainer.

11.4kW System
9/10 - Ordered
9/11 - Initial Tesla Quality Control Coordinator email contact
9/13 - Email saying the proposal was almost ready but they had SRP as my provider even though my submitted bill says APS

Hoping this process goes by quickly!

Reactions: willow_hiller

Cheers, Wayne

i have 100amp penal and hooked up a Tesla wall charger do you think I would need to upgrade 200amps if I did the "large" size solar?

FYI, I just called them to straighten some things out with my order, and I found out that there are minimum estimated solar energy performance requirements for the system to be a subscription system, and if not, it gets kicked out as only eligible to be a cash purchase system. I was able to get a copy of the proposed system, and discuss the aspects of what the proposal are with them. One thing that came up is that it got kicked out as not eligible for subscription since it didn't have enough estimated energy made; the roof I want covered is mostly NorthEast facing even though it gets a great amount of sunlight. However, there is another roof with SouthSouthSouthEast facing that might fit about 2 to 4 panels squeezed in, and it might put it over the edge of being eligible for subscription. I am much closer to making a decision based upon the new information I got and will get later, depending if they can reorient some of the proposed panels to come within the minimum performance specifications for a subscription system. I'll let you know!

Another thing: Tesla seems to have staffed themselves well for sales of this new product; if you are interested in this product, they are rolling it out pretty readily. All the usual cautions for using Tesla as a solar provider should still be heeded, but so far, the initial aspects of it are responsive. Unfortunately for Tesla, I did need to use the telephone to clear up some hurdles.

Reactions: willow_hiller
FYI, I just called them to straighten some things out with my order, and I found out that there are minimum estimated solar energy performance requirements for the system to be a subscription system, and if not, it gets kicked out as only eligible to be a cash purchase system. I was able to get a copy of the proposed system, and discuss the aspects of what the proposal are with them. One thing that came up is that it got kicked out as not eligible for subscription since it didn't have enough estimated energy made; the roof I want covered is mostly NorthEast facing even though it gets a great amount of sunlight. However, there is another roof with SouthSouthSouthEast facing that might fit about 2 to 4 panels squeezed in, and it might put it over the edge of being eligible for subscription. I am much closer to making a decision based upon the new information I got and will get later, depending if they can reorient some of the proposed panels to come within the minimum performance specifications for a subscription system. I'll let you know!

Another thing: Tesla seems to have staffed themselves well for sales of this new product; if you are interested in this product, they are rolling it out pretty readily. All the usual cautions for using Tesla as a solar provider should still be heeded, but so far, the initial aspects of it are responsive. Unfortunately for Tesla, I did need to use the telephone to clear up some hurdles.

uh oh sounds like our local utility rental program that my NorthEast facing roof didn't qualify for. Hopefully Tesla will have lower standards here in AZ

I might look into purchasing. Also I was talking to someone at a SC yesterday said they wrote off the cost of roof repairs/ replacement as part of the 30% credit since Tesla gave them a letter saying it's necessary for solar. Stretching it?

uh oh sounds like our local utility rental program that my NorthEast facing roof didn't qualify for. Hopefully Tesla will have lower standards here in AZ

I might look into purchasing. Also I was talking to someone at a SC yesterday said they wrote off the cost of roof repairs/ replacement as part of the 30% credit since Tesla gave them a letter saying it's necessary for solar. Stretching it?
Yeah. I gave some ideas to reorient, and they don't think it would fit one idea, so they'll get back to me after the weekend for the other idea. So for my situation the roof doesn't qualify for the rental program as presented.

Great! Do you have to upgrade your panel, if so is it included or do you have to pay extra?
Very great! I have a 100A main panel and 100A main breaker. My 3.8kW solar is most likely going to be using a 20A OCPD, so no need for a main panel upgrade because of the 120% rule. But if I had to upgrade, it would almost always fall on the customer's responsibility. Tesla wouldn't eat that cost.

Very great! I have a 100A main panel and 100A main breaker. My 3.8kW solar is most likely going to be using a 20A OCPD, so no need for a main panel upgrade because of the 120% rule. But if I had to upgrade, it would almost always fall on the customer's responsibility. Tesla wouldn't eat that cost.
That’s good news, I need a new 200 A panel, my 100A is full!
Tesla won’t pay for the panel is what I hear and seems fair.

Personally I had to cancel my 7.6 kW solar panel rental because they downgraded me to a 3.8 kW system due to my small roof :. I need the larger system to break even, I will pay $1-2k more with the small system due to getting destroyed by SCE on TOU plan from 4-8pm ($0.35-0.48) vs $0.13 the rest of the day. Boooooooo