Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now RENTS solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Solar install in progress. I chose the $195/month 11.4 kW system. I requested the inverter to be installed in the garage, that cost me $500 for engineering plan changes and according to the installer a few weeks further delay to resubmit and get approval to turn up. I'm hoping they can turn up sooner.

If you have plans drawn up, consider the location of the inverter. If you change it early on then you won't have to pay like I did.

upload_2019-8-26_11-23-46.jpeg

Tesla Solar install in progress. I chose the $195/month 11.4 kW system. I requested the inverter to be installed in the garage, that cost me $500 for engineering plan changes and according to the installer a few weeks further delay to resubmit and get approval to turn up. I'm hoping they can turn up sooner.

If you have plans drawn up, consider the location of the inverter. If you change it early on then you won't have to pay like I did.

View attachment 446665

I'm very confused on why anyone would draw up plans for an inverter not in a garage. A guy I had out recently to do solar also assumed he'd put it on the outside of the house.

This is only for anyone who purchased a Tesla in the past 90 days.

which I did (6/30) . Not sure if rentals qualify though and what they'd charge to install charger at the same time as inverter etc..

Haven't heard back from numerous texts back and I wonder if I had to reply right away to text? Will try calling soon but knowing Tesla from my car referral debacle I'm not too optimistic

I'm very confused on why anyone would draw up plans for an inverter not in a garage. A guy I had out recently to do solar also assumed he'd put it on the outside of the house.
Depending on the install, they might need to install a lot more than just "an inverter".

Our garage is on the opposite side of the house from our main electrical panel. While our Powerwalls are installed in the garage, it was much easier to install the inverters, gateway, second meter, breaker panel for inverters, breaker panel for Powerwalls, shutoff switch, etc. on the side of the house next to the electrical panel than to install them nearly 100 feet away, in the garage.

• Informative
Reactions: SureValla
My assumptions are they rental system qualify. Only because when I asked about it they checked requirements and the only thing I'm missing is I bought 1 year ago.

which I did (6/30) . Not sure if rentals qualify though and what they'd charge to install charger at the same time as inverter etc..

Haven't heard back from numerous texts back and I wonder if I had to reply right away to text? Will try calling soon but knowing Tesla from my car referral debacle I'm not too optimistic

I also signed up for this program here in CA. I received the data sheet and see that they use a Panasonic-made 315W solar module and a Delta/SolarCity inverter, which I think is a string inverter. Kind of disappointed that they don't use a microinverter or even an optimizer. Since they're trying to get their capital costs down, I can understand their choice of equipment.

If you don't have shading, a string inverter is fine. I have 3 of them, and not had any problems.
Exactly. We have no shading and have 3 Delta Solivia inverters as well, with 9 different strings.

While you won't get production data for the individual panels, the panels should have bypass diodes which help keep production from dropping as much if the panels are partially shaded.

I also signed up for this program here in CA. I received the data sheet and see that they use a Panasonic-made 315W solar module and a Delta/SolarCity inverter, which I think is a string inverter. Kind of disappointed that they don't use a microinverter or even an optimizer. Since they're trying to get their capital costs down, I can understand their choice of equipment.

Kind of crappy for them to be using that inverter (and the mounting hardware they use). At least you got Panasonic panels. You could have gotten Hanwha Q or Yingli, etc.