Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now RENTS solar panels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got confirmation and explanation behind the upgrade. It's a City of Phoenix/APS combination thing I guess. Here's the fault current rate table they use for Phoenix, and since I'm 200 amp single phase power, my standard fault current is 14kA.
For what it's worth, this 14 kA is a worst case number under the assumptions (a) that you have the lowest impedance transformer your utility deploys for a 120V/240V; (b) you have only 25' of conductor between the transformer and your panel; and (c) the primary wiring to that transformer has an infinite current capacity.

In practice, (c) is definitely false, (b) is likely to be a longer length, and (a) may or may not be true. Per the NEC, you only have to use equipment that can handle the actual fault current available at the equipment. So if you could get the actual transformer impedance, the actual length and size of conductors, and the actual transformer primary available fault current, a more accurate calculation could be done and may show that the actual available fault current is less than 10,000A.

Of course, the utility may have a policy that goes beyond the NEC and requires you to use the worst case numbers, which makes some sense for (a) [the utility could upgrade the transformer], very little sense for (b) [Is the utility really going to relocate the transformer without telling you?], and very little sense for (c) [is the utility going to open up a power plant next to your home, reducing the primary wiring length from the source to your transformer?] It's also true that the utility doesn't want to be bothered to provide more accurate data; or would charge for it, which along with the cost of an engineer to do the calculation and certify it, could approach the cost of the panel upgrade.

Anyway, thought this might be of interest in case you aren't already aware of this.

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and FlatSix911
The feedback and peoples experience in this forum was very helpful. The one question and concern I have is with the "Changes to Subscription Price" clause. In CA, utilities has been increasing every year. Would this trigger Tesla to raise their subscription costs?
How often and how much would Tesla raise?

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/CA_Energy_Subscription_Agreement_08132019.pdf

No one can give you an answer on what would lead to subscription rate changes and frequency. I don’t think Tesla even knows at this point.
I think it would change at least once a year because of yearly decreasing solar ITC that Tesla is banking on with this rental model.
And if it’s anything like their car pricing strategy, I would count on changes being frequent.

Maybe you can be the first to tell us after you get it.

Interesting data from Electrek... Which US metro areas have the most solar panels on homes? - Electrek

Which metro areas have the most solar panels?
Here are the rankings of the 21 metropolitan areas Cape Analytics examined when it comes to homes with solar panels per 100,000 homes:
  1. San Diego: 10,195
  2. San Francisco: 6,031
  3. Riverside: 5,863
  4. San Jose: 5,415
  5. Los Angeles: 3,981

SanDiego_Solarvisual-1.jpg

I would think Tesla would keep solar subscription prices stable otherwise people will just tell them to take it off my roof (for free). They also need to keep a good image out there and people complain about the prices going up each year no one will buy it. My guess is they would raise the prices for new customers and keep current customers stable for many years.

was not planning on a $2700 upgrade right now.
If you don't have the budget, then I completely agree, but in terms of pricing, a $2,700 panel upgrade is a very reasonable charge for an electrical system upgrade like installing solar. If you go ahead, be sure to tell them to size it for additional electric vehicles you may get in the future as well as additional battery backup you may get in the future, and it could be an incremental cost to like $3,500 rather than another $3K next time you do another upgrade.

If you don't have the budget, then I completely agree, but in terms of pricing, a $2,700 panel upgrade is a very reasonable charge for an electrical system upgrade like installing solar. If you go ahead, be sure to tell them to size it for additional electric vehicles you may get in the future as well as additional battery backup you may get in the future, and it could be an incremental cost to like $3,500 rather than another $3K next time you do another upgrade.

I'm changing to the medium system to avoid the panel upgrade. Currently waiting for the design team to update their end.

Install moved up to next Wednesday 12/11. Woohoo.

Sounds great! My install went very smoothly and I'm sure yours will too. Mine went "on-line", received PTO, about two weeks ago. It's been great fun monitoring solar production as well as how much electricity my house has been using. I can tell you that now I walk around the house turning lights off behind my wife and children! I'm sure it will get annoying to them soon, lol! Now if I can only find a way to stop the snow from covering up my panels!!

Sounds great! My install went very smoothly and I'm sure yours will too. Mine went "on-line", received PTO, about two weeks ago. It's been great fun monitoring solar production as well as how much electricity my house has been using. I can tell you that now I walk around the house turning lights off behind my wife and children! I'm sure it will get annoying to them soon, lol! Now if I can only find a way to stop the snow from covering up my panels!!

Congrats!

Most of my lights are on motion sensors so they turn off after a few minutes. Also converted all of them to LED last year. A/C, pool pump, and my car are the biggest consumers. Should be fun trying to schedule them after figuring out how much solar can cover :)

so we have our derate on 12/11, at which time Tesla said that the city will inspect and green tag that same day. From there, the tag will be submitted to Tesla’s utility team for PTO. How quick after that derate and city approval did you get PTO? APS for reference.

How quick after that derate and city approval did you get PTO?

In my case the system was installed on Friday, Oct. 25. City electrical inspection was performed and approved on Friday, Nov.1 (one week later) and city building inspection was performed and approved on Monday, Nov.4. Documents were then finalized and forwarded to my electric utility (National Grid) and final PTO was granted on Nov. 19, about 2 weeks after the final inspection. This was considered lightning fast approval for Nat. Grid which had a reputation for taking a lot longer to give approval for previous installations. I can only assume that the whole process is getting much smoother.

so we have our derate on 12/11, at which time Tesla said that the city will inspect and green tag that same day. From there, the tag will be submitted to Tesla’s utility team for PTO. How quick after that derate and city approval did you get PTO? APS for reference.

Keep us updated on this. Curious how long you are between install and PTO.

Mine are going up today! :D

IMG_20191211_121403~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191211_121403.jpg
    IMG_20191211_121403.jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: SureValla
In my case the system was installed on Friday, Oct. 25. City electrical inspection was performed and approved on Friday, Nov.1 (one week later) and city building inspection was performed and approved on Monday, Nov.4. Documents were then finalized and forwarded to my electric utility (National Grid) and final PTO was granted on Nov. 19, about 2 weeks after the final inspection. This was considered lightning fast approval for Nat. Grid which had a reputation for taking a lot longer to give approval for previous installations. I can only assume that the whole process is getting much smoother.
My National Grid turn around after inspection was about 72 hours from when Tesla submitted till meter install. The longest part after install was waiting for the town to sign off.

SRP isn’t approved for Tesla rentals at this time. Best to look into purchasing. I just activated my system in SRP area 3 weeks ago.

I was on Nextdoor and someone told me that "SRP will allow solar rental, call Tesla". Web still says no. Have you heard anything? Maybe it's like buying the $35K Model 3. In any case, would the business model hold up on SRP pricing I wonder.

FYI, our SRP inspection is set for Monday. The issue with my conduit was finally accepted by all parties for the best look and cost. My revisions tripped up Tesla's business process a bit, but they recovered nicely. They are BUSY! Every employee I talked to on site here tells me the same story of growth and expansion.