Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scheduled an appointment based on the email. Let's see what happens.
Warranty Adjustment Program Section FAQ
I received a notice that my vehicle is subject to this program. What do I do next?
If you are the registered owner, there is no immediate action you need to take at this time, and you may continue to drive your vehicle. Please do not schedule a Tesla Service appointment based on notice of this program unless you are actively experiencing the condition covered by the Warranty Adjustment Program.

Last edited:
Reactions: fetzu
Instead of making you do all this warranty reimbursement work, they should Reimburse YOU, and other 3rd parties that stepped up to the plate, while Tesla was out to lunch on this issue.
Lol. Well some of our customers may lost their receipt waiting so long. We are just resending them out so they have it to try to file the claim.

Reactions: OrbiterTI4
Tesla is willing to swap out the emmc board under the 8/100k mile warranty.

my MCU is not dead yet...but want to do it for preventive measure. I be been getting random reboot while driving .

Can Tesla test the emmc chip and see if it’s going bad or not...without the MCU being dead?

my MCU is not dead yet...but want to do it for preventive measure. I be been getting random reboot while driving .

Can Tesla test the emmc chip and see if it’s going bad or not...without the MCU being dead?

They say they can evaluate the write status of the chip, but cannot predict if it is bad if it is currently working, or so I surmise from many posts here and on the Tesla Forum.

The answer seems to be, unless the car is dead in the SvC driveway, "MCU is working as designed"

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

I am trying to replace the chip proactively. 6 weeks since order and part has not been shipped.

I tried to schedule a service appointment after the notice was published and described all of the usual symptoms. They contacted me today and said their diagnosis says it is fine and these are ‘other software issues’ that they are releasing fixes for. I said that’s great - what release will those be in? No idea of course just that they are being worked on.

My guess is that they aren’t going to replace unless you have a total failure or really push hard for it - report every time it happens, time stamps, record videos, etc.

I tried to schedule a service appointment after the notice was published and described all of the usual symptoms. They contacted me today and said their diagnosis says it is fine and these are ‘other software issues’ that they are releasing fixes for. I said that’s great - what release will those be in? No idea of course just that they are being worked on.

My guess is that they aren’t going to replace unless you have a total failure or really push hard for it - report every time it happens, time stamps, record videos, etc.

One could offer to pay...only $300, but no telling if the parts are available, or how long it will take to get them.

The software claim is a prevarication, but perhaps the SvC personnel are being told that by Freemont

I may just pay for it to save myself further frustration. Announcement is still relatively new though so I’ll give it a little bit.

It is just the principal of it all - really hoping Tesla will eventually grow up and do the right thing. Of course I’ve been down this road before with the windshield ghosting issue, and after years of waiting, ended up paying anyway (at least the covered labor).

I may just pay for it to save myself further frustration. Announcement is still relatively new though so I’ll give it a little bit.

It is just the principal of it all - really hoping Tesla will eventually grow up and do the right thing. Of course I’ve been down this road before with the windshield ghosting issue, and after years of waiting, ended up paying anyway (at least the covered labor).

Good luck with that then.

I tried to pay to get mine changed before the recent announcement but had my appointment cancelled. They told me that due to shortage of parts they would only change the eMMC for confirmed failure, not as a pre-emptive move.

• Informative
Reactions: BrianD
Good luck with that then.

I tried to pay to get mine changed before the recent announcement but had my appointment cancelled. They told me that due to shortage of parts they would only change the eMMC for confirmed failure, not as a pre-emptive move.

Wow, I did not realize how difficult this would be to get fixed. I guess the only ‘easy’ path is upgrading to MCU2?

I don't remember if I mentioned this here or in another thread, but I had my Tegra board replaced at the beginning of Sept, along with an LTE upgrade. I was charged $500 for the LTE upgrade (flat fee, parts and labor), plus $120 for the Tegra board replacement (part only, no labor, since MCU was already removed from the car).

I experienced problems and let Tesla have two shots at fixing them. Frustrated, I opted to upgrade last month. The warranty adjustment may offer me some money back on that $2,500 upgrade, according to a Tesla FAQ. More info from Tesla promised by February 2021. Won’t help those whose systems haven’t yet failed.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Hello,
First time posting.
I am among many who are experiencing the failure of eMMC.
I have CPO 2016 MS.
My touchscreen started to fail about 6 months ago.
After firmware reset attempt failed the SC replaced the touchscreen.
I asked them why touchscreen and not the MCU, but no good response.
After a few weeks later the touchscreen started to fail again.
After several attempts with firmware reset and memory clearing now the SC decided to change the daughterboard.
Here is what was ordered:

MSX VCM, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-B/C - PROVISIONED (64 GB) - REMANUFACTURED
Part #: 2728212-S0-B
Order Date: November 17, 2020

I am getting a remanufactured daughter board.
Is it normal?
Am I getting a remanufactured daughter board because I am still under warranty?
Those of you who are out of warranty and got a daughter board replaced, did you receive a remanufactured one as well?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,
First time posting.
I am among many who are experiencing the failure of eMMC.
I have CPO 2016 MS.
My touchscreen started to fail about 6 months ago.
After firmware reset attempt failed the SC replaced the touchscreen.
I asked them why touchscreen and not the MCU, but no good response.
After a few weeks later the touchscreen started to fail again.
After several attempts with firmware reset and memory clearing now the SC decided to change the daughterboard.
Here is what was ordered:

MSX VCM, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-B/C - PROVISIONED (64 GB) - REMANUFACTURED
Part #: 2728212-S0-B
Order Date: November 17, 2020

I am getting a remanufactured daughter board.
Is it normal?
Am I getting a remanufactured daughter board because I am still under warranty?
Those of you who are out of warranty and got a daughter board replaced, did you receive a remanufactured one as well?

Thanks in advance.

Its remanufactured because they just replaced the emmc on an old board with a 64gb