Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the part 2728212-S0-B include the LTE upgrade? From reading this and many other threads there are a few options for getting LTE--including an entire new MCU2 versus just getting a daughterboard/daughterboard chip replacement. I'm wondering if the aforementioned daughterboard replacement number includes the LTE upgrade.
The LTE modem is on a separate daughter card, not the Tegra daughter card with the eMMC. My SC replaced both for $620. It was invoiced as $500 for the LTE upgrade (flat fee, parts and labor included) and a second line item of $120 for the Tegra (parts only, no labor since the MCU was out of the car on the bench already).

Reactions: flyingpenguins
13 MS, 60k mi. Some non MCU crash issues, wondering if eMMC related.

- Getting lots of no 3G connect for a few months now. First it seem to be during Wifi disconnect (like leaving the house), but I found 3G will disconnect even when I have all WiFi hotspots disabled. Once 3G is off, it seems unrecoverable without MCU reboot and Usually happens again in another day or so after reboot on a fairly light use car.

- Also had Bluetooth not connecting to phone today. Also needed MCU reboot to cure.

- When rebooting MCU, it takes really long time (like 1-2? min+?) Anyway, its much longer than it use to be and slow boot started a few months ago. Perhaps related to firmware updates to deal with eMMC failures?

Anyone getting these problems as Tegra eMMC fails gradually? I'm getting the runaround on replacement like everyone else unless Tegra goes completely dead.

Incidentally, my 3rd drive unit has been making a bearing whine noise since day one 20k miles ago. Getting progressively worse. My drive train warranty is up in May 2021. Junior service advisor's response is "its getting old" haha. Tesla top level mandates to SC combined with low knowledge service advisors beyond the lemon law period is probably the worst service experience of any manufacturer right now. Its the wrath of a silicon valley company seeking growth and quarterly #s. If factory is running at full capacity, they don't care about long term customer experience. If factory is not running at full capacity (says some analysts), they don't care about long term customer experience. Probably my first and last Tesla as they treat car service and obsolescence like iPhones.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
When rebooting MCU, it takes really long time (like 1-2? min+?) Anyway, its much longer than it use to be and slow boot started a few months ago. Perhaps related to firmware updates to deal with eMMC failures?

Anyone getting these problems as Tegra eMMC fails gradually? I'm getting the runaround on replacement like everyone else unless Tegra goes completely dead.

Yes. Lots of weird problems. No help from Tesla. Lost all audio on the right side. Games and camp mode will stay open during a drive, preventing use of rear view camera or other controls. Slow reboots. Flashes solid red then goes black. Etc. etc. just wishing for a quick death for mine at this point.

- Getting lots of no 3G connect for a few months now. First it seem to be during Wifi disconnect (like leaving the house), but I found 3G will disconnect even when I have all WiFi hotspots disabled. Once 3G is off, it seems unrecoverable without MCU reboot and Usually happens again in another day or so after reboot on a fairly light use car.

I have the same 3G issue. I have to reboot almost every time I drive the car.

- Also had Bluetooth not connecting to phone today. Also needed MCU reboot to cure.
- When rebooting MCU, it takes really long time (like 1-2? min+?) Anyway, its much longer than it use to be and slow boot started a few months ago. Perhaps related to firmware updates to deal with eMMC failures?
sounds like emmc to me but I never had it this bad. bluetooth going out happened once and when I tried reconnecting the mcu rebooted itself (and took several minutes to come on).

does your instrument cluster have the memory degraded notification after the new software update?

also, regarding the whine--I had mentioned this for something else but it seems to apply here--would you consider going to another SC to see their take on it? I have had largely good but different experiences at different service centers

sounds like emmc to me but I never had it this bad. bluetooth going out happened once and when I tried reconnecting the mcu rebooted itself (and took several minutes to come on).

does your instrument cluster have the memory degraded notification after the new software update?

also, regarding the whine--I had mentioned this for something else but it seems to apply here--would you consider going to another SC to see their take on it? I have had largely good but different experiences at different service centers

Haven't seen any memory degraded notification, I'll keep an eye on that. Am on latest (2020.48.12.1) 2013 car on original Tegra with 60k miles. I don't have Nav so maybe thats why it lasted longer than typical.

On SC experience, it was all great until mid 2019 whenever HQ started centralizing service protocol and throttling local SC's prior efforts to address all the immature design areas that plagued the Model S. Mobile tech even offered to order DU replacement upon hearing the noise but said the noise doesn't cause any problems and he has heard louder before. I opted not to replace at the time to avoid being wasteful thinking I can always do it later. Unfortunately, HQ changed service protocols before my noise got progressively worse. Now even the long time SC manager is now replying by email noise is not a problem without ever hearing it. I asked how loud does it have to be... and got the expected no response haha.

I tried 2 SCs for Tegra random failure replacement. Got the same terrible process. Don't know what to expect until showed up at appointment. Then I learned they will just check log after receiving the car. 2nd SC even asked to charge me $175 diag fee if no bad log was found prior to the appointment. I argued and got it eliminated.

eMMC was causes by over logging. It seems new firmware is either logging insufficiently for SC tech to determine failure or SC tech is instructed to look at a narrow definition of failure. In any case, everyone seems to be getting sent home without Tegra replacement unless MCU is fully dead.

Anyhow, like the earlier post, now just hoping Tegra will go completely dead before my 5/21 eMMC extended warranty deadline.

The NHTSA has the actual Tesla service bulletin here:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10184233-9999.pdf

Some interesting bits I get from it:
  • There were 3 different 8GB eMMC chips used.
  • Only 2 of the 3 can trigger the "eMMCNeedsReplacement" error.
  • Only 1 of the 3 can report number of reserve blocks remaining.
Thanks for posting this! So 65 remaining blocks is the magic number. Looks like they added a host of flags/checks that will make it abundantly clear it’s time for a replacement. There will still be pain for those on the hairy edge, though.

• Informative
Reactions: howardc64 and zwede
The NHTSA has the actual Tesla service bulletin here:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10184233-9999.pdf

Some interesting bits I get from it:
  • There were 3 different 8GB eMMC chips used.
  • Only 2 of the 3 can trigger the "eMMCNeedsReplacement" error.
  • Only 1 of the 3 can report number of reserve blocks remaining.

Tesla choosing to rely on eMMC wear leveling and/or bad block management scheme to fail detectably in their software at very first failure instance on these 3-10 year old eMMC designs. Anyone with circa 11-17 era eMMC NAND design knowledge can comment on the wisdom?

Last edited:
13 MS, 60k mi. Some non MCU crash issues, wondering if eMMC related.

Incidentally, my 3rd drive unit has been making a bearing whine noise since day one 20k miles ago. Getting progressively worse. My drive train warranty is up in May 2021. Junior service advisor's response is "its getting old" haha. Tesla top level mandates to SC combined with low knowledge service advisors beyond the lemon law period is probably the worst service experience of any manufacturer right now. Its the wrath of a silicon valley company seeking growth and quarterly #s. If factory is running at full capacity, they don't care about long term customer experience. If factory is not running at full capacity (says some analysts), they don't care about long term customer experience. Probably my first and last Tesla as they treat car service and obsolescence like iPhones.
How do you really feel about the situation ?

I get a similar attitude from the local SC. They act bemused and kind of apathetic, like I'm bringing them an iPhone 5 for repair... and how can I be so silly as to think my "older" piece of technology should still work.

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne
Just wait until this hits the Model 3 and Y. I'm sure Tesla will be quick to fix on no charge or hassle. I know they say it shouldn't matter with MCU2 and the emmc should outlast the car. But not sure if this is taking into the account the increasing features, games, videos of MCU2.

Going into service again. Try #3 to get it repaired. getting random “no key” warnings “front trunk open” and MCU failed to start for two drives yesterday (but did start this morning).

will sacrifice a chicken on my way into the SC. :rolleyes:

how the heck do people live without backup cameras? I’ve forgotten how to park with out!

It did work for 2012.
Ended up being at the shop for 2 nights since they needed more time to upload firmware. While it was open they called and asked if I wanted to replace screen for 550 no extra labor. So I did since I had a 2 inch bubble all around. With taxes total was $948.15 and all working well. I just have to recreate profiles, wifi, home link, timed charging etc, so almost feels like new.

View attachment 601461

My center screen is leaking adhesive and I've had intermittent signs of eMMC issues, so I'm contemplating doing a center screen and eMMC daughterboard swap at the same time. Thanks for posting this, I've now specified this display part number with the updated eMMC daughterboard number on my service appt notes to see if they are correct for my 85D and to see if I can get a similar estimate.

My center screen is leaking adhesive and I've had intermittent signs of eMMC issues, so I'm contemplating doing a center screen and eMMC daughterboard swap at the same time. Thanks for posting this, I've now specified this display part number with the updated eMMC daughterboard number on my service appt notes to see if they are correct for my 85D and to see if I can get a similar estimate.

The center screen leaking adhesive is so bushleague. Tesla should cover that for the life of the car.

Reactions: BigNick
Haven't seen any memory degraded notification, I'll keep an eye on that. Am on latest (2020.48.12.1) 2013 car on original Tegra with 60k miles. I don't have Nav so maybe thats why it lasted longer than typical.

On SC experience, it was all great until mid 2019 whenever HQ started centralizing service protocol and throttling local SC's prior efforts to address all the immature design areas that plagued the Model S. Mobile tech even offered to order DU replacement upon hearing the noise but said the noise doesn't cause any problems and he has heard louder before. I opted not to replace at the time to avoid being wasteful thinking I can always do it later. Unfortunately, HQ changed service protocols before my noise got progressively worse. Now even the long time SC manager is now replying by email noise is not a problem without ever hearing it. I asked how loud does it have to be... and got the expected no response haha.

I tried 2 SCs for Tegra random failure replacement. Got the same terrible process. Don't know what to expect until showed up at appointment. Then I learned they will just check log after receiving the car. 2nd SC even asked to charge me $175 diag fee if no bad log was found prior to the appointment. I argued and got it eliminated.

eMMC was causes by over logging. It seems new firmware is either logging insufficiently for SC tech to determine failure or SC tech is instructed to look at a narrow definition of failure. In any case, everyone seems to be getting sent home without Tegra replacement unless MCU is fully dead.

Anyhow, like the earlier post, now just hoping Tegra will go completely dead before my 5/21 eMMC extended warranty deadline.

Many of the chips in 2013 last many writes beyond its rated useful life. Many of the 2016 chips appear to have a controller failure which is not dependent on the number of writes. Your early chip is well on its way out. Hopefully it wears out before you reach 100k miles.
We have most the issues document and what can help in our eMMC post here. Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

Reactions: Akikiki
I think Tesla will be forced into a recall because of a legal liability of not doing so.

However, expect this to drag on for many months or years, like the other recalls

Meanwhile, should support 3rd party repair as Tesla service is not going to improve any time soon.

I think Tesla will be forced into a recall because of a legal liability of not doing so.

However, expect this to drag on for many months or years, like the other recalls

Meanwhile, should support 3rd party repair as Tesla service is not going to improve any time soon.

Tesla's current stances is wait in tesla queue for warranty replacement, or pay out of pocket with no reimbursement. Maybe things will change if they decide to recall.