Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you use navigation and streaming at the same time? Does navigation take a long time to plan routes?

I had not tested this, so I just took a drive and did it. Here is what happened. I set the mcu to bloomberg radio on Tunein. I then requested navigation to Pittsburgh. Navigation computed a route in what appeared to be the same time as before. However, it was not giving me voice updates. At that time, I did a switch from Tunein to regular radio and voice navigation came back. I then switched back to Tunein and voice navigation continued to work. To verify, I cancelled navigation and while still on Tunein, requested navigation to another destination. Navigation, including voice worked at that time without having to exit Tunein. It appears that there is an issue when you start, but it I found a solution that works for me.

Part #: 2728211-S0-A. Also, this is my original MCU - 7yrs & 2mo old and 51k miles

Last edited:
I think that others have mentioned earlier, but probably worth repeating, that if you want to get the daughterboard changed, type ”I would like to have the daughterboard upgraded” into the note box in the App when you make the appointment (in addition to describing the problems with the MCU). That way, it would cost only $320 (at least that's what I paid).

I also have the ESA warranty and really think Tesla should waive the deductable for this component failure.

Agree. They should also provide a large credit if someone wants to upgrade to MCU2. The upgrade was offered to me, at full price.

I didn't want to spend that much money for an upgrade, and I actually use the FM and XM radio, so that was a dealbreaker.

I have a 2012 and was quoted $337.35 for next week at Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles SC.

I hope it works for 2012 model. Has anyone else with an early model had success with this?

Screenshot 2020-10-11 213044.png

So it appears they don't reuse the screws that hold the dashboard together or the Tegra card into the MCU? Not that $2.85 is a big deal these days.
I wonder if that "W/PATCH" designation on the screws indicates they have some kind of adhesive/threadlocker/rubberystuff to keep them from vibrating loose?
Beats the full MCU replacement price by a ton.

• Informative
Reactions: Greenms60